PDA

View Full Version : K98 Owners! Question...

Forever-A-Soldier
07-31-2006, 4:48 PM
what are "capture screws" on the K98s. I've read multiple times that the K98s captured by the Russians have missing "capture screws". I assume the Soviets removed these screws upon capture, but why? What purpose did they serve and should they be replaced? Anyone have any DETAILED information?

Thanks.

F.A.S. Out

stevie
07-31-2006, 5:11 PM
Its the little "lock" screws for the "guard" screws that go thru the floorplate and holds the receiver/bbl in place. Does that make sense?

Forever-A-Soldier
07-31-2006, 5:40 PM
Makes sense, though I don't have a K98, I can envision what you said. Do you know why these were removed during the war?

F.A.S. Out

-hanko
07-31-2006, 5:42 PM
what are "capture screws" on the K98s. I've read multiple times that the K98s captured by the Russians have missing "capture screws". I assume the Soviets removed these screws upon capture, but why? What purpose did they serve and should they be replaced? Anyone have any DETAILED information?

Thanks.

F.A.S. Out
Capture screws lock the trigger guard screws, I guess the 'capture' them so they can't unscrew. The tg screws have a series of semi-circular cuts around their rim, the head of the capture screw fits into one of these cuts...easier to see on a rifle than visualize. Along with the front sight hood and cleaning rod, a bunch of k98's get to you without the capture screws. Cheap to get some, though.

-hanko

stevie
07-31-2006, 6:25 PM
What he said!!!! Probably too much of a hassle to put them back in.

footdoc
08-01-2006, 10:50 AM
Get them cheap from here...

http://www.tngunparts.com/mauser.htm

Guinness
08-02-2006, 10:07 AM
FAS, if your really thinking about getting a K98 let me know, we'll take mine out next time and you can shoot it and check it out.. Also, Inter Ordnance has a few instock right now, but if you want a pristen on Empire Arms had some nice ones a while back (where I got mine)..

NeoWeird
08-03-2006, 6:39 PM
What they said.

To give you an idea, imagine a cookie with bites taken out of the edges. Then the trigger guard has two screw holes right next to each other, like an 8. The first is screwed in, then the second is scerwed in and the head of the screw fits into one of the bit marks. The first screw can no longer back off and fall out. I believe a good number of the k98s were rearsenaled by the Russians and they simply weren't put back in for some reason (maybe the Russians were lazy). They aren't really important, just one of those things that makes your rifle complete. Like having matching numbers, original finish, or the original wood finish; not required but adds to the collectible value.

Rogerbutthead
08-05-2006, 11:30 AM
Capture screw off a pic of a gun on auction. The seller, Prusakowski, takes great photos.