PDA

View Full Version : ~ ~ Where/When Do You Carry Your Gun? ~ ~

.40Cal
12-31-2010, 1:15 AM
Hi guys,

I've read a lot of threads where people say they (or wife) carry a gun to ---

to a camp, hike, go out walking, backpacking, car gun, truck gun, when they travel by car (or by airplane), etc...etc...etc.

My question is HOW do you guys manage to carry a gun withought CCW permit? I'm gussing most people who say I carry it to a camp, or when I go out for a walk, or it's my car/truck gun...don't have CCW permits. So, how do you do that? Same thing with wives...guys say, "oh this is my wife's purse gun, the one she carries,", or "she wants to get a little gun for SD that she can easily carry"... etc, etc...

I know law in Calif is more strict than most other states. We're not allowed to have a gun on us anytime - especially as mentioned in above examples.

Plz help me understand!

Thanks in advance.

zfields
12-31-2010, 1:16 AM
unloaded open carry is how most are doing it.

I dont carry. I find no reason to carry a unloaded gun, buy hey, thats just me.

SJgunguy24
12-31-2010, 1:31 AM
I carry concealed at work, I'm there a lot and I will apply for a CCW very soon. There are more reasons why I need one then not.

Dead*Reckoned
12-31-2010, 1:36 AM
Some people also LUCC (Locked unloaded Concealed Carry), which is basically carrying the firearm in a locked case, unloaded. The benefit of this is that it is legal in places where open carrying isn't, and you don't need a permit. You can carry the case on you at anytime, and don't need to worry about wandering into a school zone, just don't go on campus.

redcliff
12-31-2010, 1:39 AM
Many of us do have CCW's though, since many of us live in less restrictive counties. Hopefully everyone will have that opportunity someday due to the efforts of Calguns Foundation!

.40Cal
12-31-2010, 2:57 AM
I carry concealed at work, I'm there a lot and I will apply for a CCW very soon. There are more reasons why I need one then not.

This is what I'm talking about.

I'm not at all talking about "Open Carry", or unloaded carry - in a case, or any such "legal" ways. I'm talking about people who carry a gun when they go Camping, or hiking, or backpacking...etc. They are not carrying an "open carry" in a jungle, or climbing a hill. It beats the purpose of Self-Defense-Purpose. However, since I read this ALL the time, I'm curious how many ppl are doing it, and HOW they manage to do it?

Example - "Oh a 357 Magnum is a good hiking gun". Or "Oh I keep a 45 in my car...just incase I need it". Or "Oh I take my 44 Mag when I go camping." You guys get the picture........... THAT is what I'm curious about.....

I know it sounds like a silly question, but the question still remains - how many people do it, and How?

Thanks... :)

powderedtoastman
12-31-2010, 3:47 AM
Just because somebody said they carry this gun all the time or their wife does, etc. Doesn't always mean they refer to ccw without a permit. Most of the counties in CA are shall issue, and for the rest, when they say they carry, it doesn't mean concealed illegally. They're probably talking about the methods mentioned above(LUCC, UOC). Also, as far as hiking is concerned, I only hike in areas where it is legal to hunt. With my valid hunting license, I can carry concealed while I'm hunting coyotes.

Echidin
12-31-2010, 6:15 AM
This is what I'm talking about.

I'm not at all talking about "Open Carry", or unloaded carry - in a case, or any such "legal" ways. I'm talking about people who carry a gun when they go Camping, or hiking, or backpacking...etc. They are not carrying an "open carry" in a jungle, or climbing a hill. It beats the purpose of Self-Defense-Purpose. However, since I read this ALL the time, I'm curious how many ppl are doing it, and HOW they manage to do it?

Example - "Oh a 357 Magnum is a good hiking gun". Or "Oh I keep a 45 in my car...just incase I need it". Or "Oh I take my 44 Mag when I go camping." You guys get the picture........... THAT is what I'm curious about.....

I know it sounds like a silly question, but the question still remains - how many people do it, and How?

Thanks... :)

In terms of camping, hiking and backpacking it is perfectly legal to open carry in a national park such as Joshua Tree, Yosemite, etc.

Firearms
As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park.

http://www.nps.gov/jotr/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm

Mastermason11
12-31-2010, 6:25 AM
At home....lol

Sam
12-31-2010, 6:55 AM
In many areas it is safe to carry without a permit such as ones home, ones work (depending on management), while on national forest or BLM land, on another's private property with permission.

B Strong
12-31-2010, 6:59 AM
I think that you will find that most folks who carry w/o a permit may not want to discuss their actions in public.

At least I would hope so.

Trapper
12-31-2010, 7:13 AM
I do alot of hiking and hunting on BLM and National Forest land and often carry a loaded revolver on my hip. As long as I'm in an area that is legal for hunting it is legal for me to carry a loaded handgun. Some states specify a minimum barrel length or calliber for hunting, California does not. Coyotes & ground squirrels are in season year round so you are not limited to a specific season.
Last spring a I was checking out an area for hunting, we had GPS, topo maps and loaded handguns with us. My friend and I are both retired military and hadn't fired a shot but some day hikers called in a report of two men with guns. When the responding officers arrived they asked if we were hunting, I said yes and asked if he'd like to see my hunting license. He said that he wasn't fish & game and didn't need to see it, then went on to give me information on game animals he had seen in the area. They never checked my firearm or ID.

ZX-10R
12-31-2010, 7:34 AM
I think that you will find that most folks who carry w/o a permit may not want to discuss their actions in public.

At least I would hope so.

See location for response. Nuff said.

United we stand divided we fall.

CJSdrftFlat
12-31-2010, 10:20 AM
^^^^^ yup especially around oakland

Patchbunny
12-31-2010, 10:42 AM
Hi guys,

I've read a lot of threads where people say they (or wife) carry a gun to ---

to a camp, hike, go out walking, backpacking, car gun, truck gun, when they travel by car (or by airplane), etc...etc...etc.

My question is HOW do you guys manage to carry a gun withought CCW permit? I'm gussing most people who say I carry it to a camp, or when I go out for a walk, or it's my car/truck gun...don't have CCW permits. So, how do you do that? Same thing with wives...guys say, "oh this is my wife's purse gun, the one she carries,", or "she wants to get a little gun for SD that she can easily carry"... etc, etc...

I know law in Calif is more strict than most other states. We're not allowed to have a gun on us anytime - especially as mentioned in above examples.

Plz help me understand!

Thanks in advance.

As others have said, there are a number of counties in California that will issue a CCW permit.

I legally carry whenever I leave the house. If there's a book somewhere that describes when and where I can be assaulted so I know exactly when I need to carry, I've yet to find it.

GrizzlyGuy
12-31-2010, 12:17 PM
I do alot of hiking and hunting on BLM and National Forest land and often carry a loaded revolver on my hip. As long as I'm in an area that is legal for hunting it is legal for me to carry a loaded handgun. Some states specify a minimum barrel length or calliber for hunting, California does not. Coyotes & ground squirrels are in season year round so you are not limited to a specific season.
Last spring a I was checking out an area for hunting, we had GPS, topo maps and loaded handguns with us. My friend and I are both retired military and hadn't fired a shot but some day hikers called in a report of two men with guns. When the responding officers arrived they asked if we were hunting, I said yes and asked if he'd like to see my hunting license. He said that he wasn't fish & game and didn't need to see it, then went on to give me information on game animals he had seen in the area. They never checked my firearm or ID.

You probably already know this but for those who don't... if you're in that kind of an area hunting and you have a hunting license (or fishing with a fishing license), you can also legally carry it concealed in addition to loaded. From 12027 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12027.html):

Section 12025 does not apply to, or affect, any of the
following:

{...}

(g) Licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers, or
other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person while
engaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearms
unloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishing
expedition.

If on your way to/from, then it can't be loaded but can still be concealed.

marathonman
12-31-2010, 12:43 PM
Is that UOC or LOC in Yosemite?

In terms of camping, hiking and backpacking it is perfectly legal to open carry in a national park such as Joshua Tree, Yosemite, etc.

http://www.nps.gov/jotr/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm

GrizzlyGuy
12-31-2010, 3:12 PM
Is that UOC or LOC in Yosemite?

Discharge is prohibited within the park, so that means you generally can't carry loaded as per 12031 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12031.html). Within your campsite is an exception:

(l) Nothing in this section shall prevent any person from having a
loaded weapon, if it is otherwise lawful, at his or her place of
residence, including any temporary residence or campsite.

stix213
12-31-2010, 4:04 PM
Depends on the circumstance. When backpacking or camping I'm generally either UOC or LOC depending on the trail or site, sometimes LUCC if its a busy area with limited chance of wildlife interaction and I don't want to attract attention.

Pretty much LUCC anywhere else if I have it with me. There are limits to what situations are legal to LUCC. I also have a Taser C2 in my pocket ready to go at a moment's notice always. Frequently I'm only carrying the Taser, since there are next to no laws to worry about.

When it becomes possible to get a CCW in my county without being LEO/wealthy/connected I will be carrying all the time I suspect.

Blademan21
12-31-2010, 4:18 PM
I carry when I leave the house,always. That includes getting the mail,taking the trash to the curb,going to Walmart for nachos...ect. Why,because I can.

hawk81
12-31-2010, 4:25 PM
I carry everywhere. It is better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

RobG
12-31-2010, 4:44 PM
If its concealed, its concealed. Meaning no one but you should know you are carrying, gov't permitted or not. There are those that carry concealed with no gov't permission. Are they taking a chance? Absolutely. It sounds cliche' but the old adage, "Rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6" definitely holds true for many.

**Disclaimer** I am in no way advocating concealed carrying illegally or breaking any other laws in regards to firearms.

PutTogether
01-01-2011, 1:02 AM
I can answer the "I keep a .45 in my car" questions.

A friend of mine keeps a gunvault safe in his car. Handgun in the car is perfectly legal provided it is unloaded, and in a locked container that ISNT the glove box or the center console.

It sure isn't the best solution for needing to get to a gun quickly, but it is legal. It is also pretty well hidden so as not to be a thief target. He doesn't worry about leaving the car with valets or anything either, because the gun is secured.