PDA

View Full Version : Legal SoCal place to shoot? (non-range)

j2ws2000
07-31-2006, 3:14 PM
I'm really getting sick of shooting ranges. From the jerks, to the irresponsible, to the line breaks. I'd really just like to set out my own target somewhere and shoot whatever I want however I want.

Places to shoot is what I'm least educated in.

I'm in the LA county, does anybody know of a place where I could legally rattle off some rounds privately without any range masters and other shooters to worry about?

JPglee1
07-31-2006, 3:15 PM
I'm really getting sick of shooting ranges. From the jerks, to the irresponsible, to the line breaks. I'd really just like to set out my own target somewhere and shoot whatever I want however I want.

Places to shoot is what I'm least educated in.

I'm in the LA county, does anybody know of a place where I could legally rattle off some rounds privately without any range masters and other shooters to worry about?

Get in touch with your local BLM office, they'll point you in the right direction.

J

j2ws2000
07-31-2006, 3:19 PM
Get in touch with your local BLM office, they'll point you in the right direction.

J

LOL I'd hate to sound so ignorant, as I'm big on guns and am plenty educated, but what the hell is a BLM office?

JPglee1
07-31-2006, 3:20 PM
LOL I'd hate to sound so ignorant, as I'm big on guns and am plenty educated, but what the hell is a BLM office?

Bureau Of Land Management.

BLM land is public land you can legally shoot on, however you want to as long as the gun is legal.

Look in the phonebook or online for BLM Office LA County

J

j2ws2000
07-31-2006, 3:23 PM
Thank you so much JPglee1, this will be a big help. I've heard of this public land shooting, which is why I asked.

Thanks again!

USMC_2651_E5
07-31-2006, 3:28 PM
http://www.blm.gov/ca/index.html

ohsmily
07-31-2006, 3:37 PM
When I am in LA, I usually drive all the way out to the Barstow area for some secluded shooting on open land (yes, a long drive, but I have a great spot to shoot at and I usually organize a good size group of friends to go with me). (P.S. my start point is the Santa Monica area)...

tenpercentfirearms
07-31-2006, 4:00 PM
This is a perfect excuse to drive up to the Taft area and go shooting and come by my shop. Up here in conservative California we shoot where we want, when we want, and there is no one to bother us. I am going shooting this afternoon at this range someone set up just past the oilfields and it has gongs out to 500 or 600 yards as well as a little bench to sight in on. No rangemasters, no waiting, just park and shoot.

And that is why I couldn't live in LA for more than two years. I had to get out.

Bill_in_SD
07-31-2006, 4:17 PM
Make sure you avoid Indian Reservations. The lines between them and BLM land are not always marked, at least east of San Diego. Had an uncomfortable discussion once because someone asserted that we were on reservation land.

We did the polite thing and packed up to move further out into the desert. They were polite, so we responded in kind.

I went to the local Sheriff's office and asked for a 'shooting map' that had BLM land and National forest marked. That may be available for you as well - at least in San Bernadino or Riverside counties - I am pretty sure L.A. county does not offer any place to shoot, I could be wrong though!

Bill in SD

Paul1960
07-31-2006, 5:04 PM
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=11&t=236586

Have a look in this AR15.com thread and scroll down to the bottom and see the links to shooting opportunities in SoCal, find a place to shoot (Bushmaster), and a Google Earth file with +180 California/NV ranges.

Personally I go out to BLM property between Barstow and Victorville (Hodge Road). I LOVE IT!! You can set up targets and work them from hundreds of yards away all day long for a bit of a drive. Most of the year my wife and I will pack for an over night out there (camping is legal and free too). We'll leave about 11:00 AM, catch lunch at a fast food place, arrive at the camp ground by 12:15 and set up camp. I'll spend the afternoon shooting and come back to a hot meal and an evening of adult beverages around the campfire. Come morning while my wife is still sleeping I'll sneak out about half a mile from camp and do some more shooting while her coffee is brewing. We'll have a continental breakfast and head home returning by 11:00 .... 24-hours with about six of them spent shooting.

Satex
07-31-2006, 5:10 PM
Two ok places in SoCal are:
Jacumba off I-8 and Orosco Ridge close to Ramona.
Jacumba is good for everything, Orosco ridge is not that good for rifles, even though people do shoot rifles out there. You do have to deal with jerks out there too...

ohsmily
07-31-2006, 6:50 PM
Two ok places in SoCal are:
Jacumba off I-8 and Orosco Ridge close to Ramona.
Jacumba is good for everything, Orosco ridge is not that good for rifles, even though people do shoot rifles out there. You do have to deal with jerks out there too...

He is in LA County. It would be very silly to drive from LA just to go to Jacumba and even more ridiculous to go to Orosco Ridge...what a dump with no range. Jacumba is pretty lame too, but it suffices for most purposes. I make a point of going 18 miles past Jacumba into Imperial County where there are rarely any other shooters. This is when I leave from SD. As I said, when I leave from LA, I head to the Barstow area.

crzpete
07-31-2006, 7:47 PM
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=11&t=236586

Have a look in this AR15.com thread and scroll down to the bottom and see the links to shooting opportunities in SoCal, find a place to shoot (Bushmaster), and a Google Earth file with +180 California/NV ranges.

Personally I go out to BLM property between Barstow and Victorville (Hodge Road). I LOVE IT!! You can set up targets and work them from hundreds of yards away all day long for a bit of a drive. Most of the year my wife and I will pack for an over night out there (camping is legal and free too). We'll leave about 11:00 AM, catch lunch at a fast food place, arrive at the camp ground by 12:15 and set up camp. I'll spend the afternoon shooting and come back to a hot meal and an evening of adult beverages around the campfire. Come morning while my wife is still sleeping I'll sneak out about half a mile from camp and do some more shooting while her coffee is brewing. We'll have a continental breakfast and head home returning by 11:00 .... 24-hours with about six of them spent shooting.

It look’s like Hodge Road is closed for shooting! :(

http://www.vvdailypress.com/2001-2003/106251007291537.html

This is old news from the date on the info but thought you might be interested in reading. I found this info last night on the net just by chance! I was going to the same place to shoot as well :eek:

Tzvia
08-01-2006, 6:17 AM
I live in the San Fernando Valley, and sometimes go out to Jawbone Canyon/Liberty Canyon to shoot. Often times, there are OHV'rs so I avoid holiday weekends and tend to go to Liberty cyn first (a few miles south of Jawbone, off the 14, about 22 miles north of Mojave.) It's less busy than Jawbone. Redrock Canyon State Park is a few miles north of Jawbone and has organized campsites and water, or you can camp where you shoot. Sometimes I go there for the weekend.

Tzvia

jester
08-01-2006, 6:47 AM
A few miles before you get to jawbone is where I shoot....

JPglee1
08-01-2006, 6:52 AM
It look’s like Hodge Road is closed for shooting! :(

http://www.vvdailypress.com/2001-2003/106251007291537.html

This is old news from the date on the info but thought you might be interested in reading. I found this info last night on the net just by chance! I was going to the same place to shoot as well :eek:

Yep, Hodge has been closed for some time.

Many will argue with me saying "It looks open" or "I haven't had any problems" well if you're at Hodge shooting, on the day the one lonely BLM ranger happens to be there, you're gonna wish you had listened to Ol' JP and went outside of Barstow instead... I live in Victorville, its common knowledge its been closed for about 3yrs. If it WAS open, all us local types would be flooding the place. The only people that do shoot out there are flatlanders who don't know any better.

J

rod
08-01-2006, 7:59 AM
If Hemet is any closer than the Barstow area, then check out Bee Canyon. I shoot there quite a bit.

socalsteve
08-01-2006, 1:12 PM
Has anyone checked with BLM to see if Jawbone or Liberty Cyn are legal to shoot at?

A gunshop in Lancaster told my Brother-in-law that shotting is not allowed there?

Just want to know for sure.