PDA

View Full Version : So how's the S&W custom shop?

Nirrad
12-30-2010, 10:44 PM
I don't post much, so if this is in the wrong forum, Mods please move.

Background:
686+ purchased in '03

Maybe 500 rounds over the years - that is until Sept. '10
Probably 2000-2500 from Sept. '10 to Dec '10

First shot of the session and this happened:

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu139/dontspammebro/686/touch/closer.jpg

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu139/dontspammebro/686/touch/angles3.jpg

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu139/dontspammebro/686/touch/barrelleft2.jpg
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu139/dontspammebro/686/touch/frameheadon.jpg

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu139/dontspammebro/686/touch/framecloseupleft.jpg

So I'm thinking while it's gotta go back to S&W, why not get that 5'' half lug slapped on, and an unfluted, chamfered cylinder?
How are their High Viz sights? Better than the red ramp? Don't think I'm really interested in a Partridge.
That would make a nice paper puncher, no?

redcliff
12-31-2010, 1:02 AM
Interesting, first picture I've seen recently of that problem. S&W has had some occasional problems over the years with barrels breaking off at the root of the threads, especially on stainless revolvers.

Supposedly overtightening during installation creates stress cracks. Use of cleaning products that contain chlorine and especially when used with ultrasonic cleaners may exacerberate the problem by speeding up corrosion as does using the wrong thread lubricant during installation of the barrel.

As far as sights and barrels, it depends on what you want to do with it. A 4" barrel would allow you to shoot it in some matches which limit you to 4" or less barrels. Hi-viz sights are good but are more of a combat sight designed for fast acquisition than a precise paper punching sight; the patridge is still considerred best for that as far as I know. Personally I'd go with a 4" full lug barrel with hi-viz sights.

missiondude
12-31-2010, 8:36 AM
Now that is a snubby...

I would contact Jim Rae at the Performance Center, and discuss what you want. They may pick up the tab under warranty, or at least give you a break on the custom work. Jim has been very helpfuil in my dealings with the PC guns.

Here is his e-mail.

Rae, Jim <jrae@smith-wesson.com>

Legasat
12-31-2010, 8:37 AM
Yikes! Best of luck with that. I'm sure S&W will treat you right.

BigDogatPlay
12-31-2010, 8:44 AM
I'm going to wager they'll give you a good deal on any supplemental work past the warranty. S&W stands behind their product. Gross failure is an understatement on those pics. Glad no one was hurt.

Argonaut
12-31-2010, 9:20 AM
I bet that was exciting.......The custom shop is great. I have and use Stainless Smiths but Colt resisted making stainless guns for years because of what there engineers thought was the metals sub standard performance in several areas, one being brittleness another being microscopic galling on the slide to frame surfaces for the M1911's. Smith has been on the forefront of using various alloys. Most guns today get very little use, so it takes a long time for trends to show up. I have been curious how these alloy guns hold up through the years. Our experiences with Aluminum guns has been mixed, They shoot loose quicker and are difficult to refinish when necessary. The Chromium added to Steel to make it "stainless" is hard and brittle by nature. It is all interesting stuff, more questions than answers so far.

Nirrad
12-31-2010, 8:44 PM
Now that is a snubby...

I would contact Jim Rae at the Performance Center, and discuss what you want. They may pick up the tab under warranty, or at least give you a break on the custom work. Jim has been very helpfuil in my dealings with the PC guns.

Here is his e-mail.

Rae, Jim <jrae@smith-wesson.com>

Thanks for the contact Missiondude! I got the shipping label and will probably send it on Monday, and reach out to Mr. Rae.

Thanks for that knowledge Redcliff. Do you happen to know what products contain chlorine? There's no info on the Hoppe's #9 bottle, and I can only think of that brake cleaner that was chlorinated.

Jonathan Doe
12-31-2010, 8:50 PM
I was at the Smith & Wesson factory last September for an armorer school, and had a tour of the facility. The custom shop was on its own within the facility. They put a lot of effort in quality of their work.

redcliff
01-01-2011, 1:25 AM
Thanks for the contact Missiondude! I got the shipping label and will probably send it on Monday, and reach out to Mr. Rae.

Thanks for that knowledge Redcliff. Do you happen to know what products contain chlorine? There's no info on the Hoppe's #9 bottle, and I can only think of that brake cleaner that was chlorinated.

A rust preventative often used on firearms called Eezox contains chlorine. Also I believe that prior to 1999 Breakfree CLP contained chlorine; the latest MSDS forms specify "break-free clp, non-chlorinated" which indicates to me that there was another formula in the past that did contain chlorine. So if you have any reallly old bottles of Break-free CLP around you may want to check the label.

If you're interested in whats in a product, google search for its Material Data Safety Sheet. Chemical supply manufacturers are required to provide that data for the benefit of consumers, retailers and emergency services that encounter a spill.

scobun
10-14-2012, 9:21 AM
Did S&W ever rectify this? As a shareholder, I'd be interested to know the outcome.