PDA

View Full Version : Would this be okay to do, to a Mosin

OHOD
12-30-2010, 8:28 PM
Let's say I bought a Mosin Nagant online.

When the rifle get's to me, let's say that it is an Ex Sniper.

Let's say that I want to put a PU scope on it and a bolt with the bent lever.

Question:
If I bought the rifle with my C&R license, does that prevent me from making the modification?
Would it even be considered a modification?

Just what if.
Since a gal wants to learn as much about C&R'ing as she can. :D

emcon5
12-30-2010, 8:31 PM
Sure. In fact lots of places selling them with that already done.

OHOD
12-30-2010, 8:33 PM
Sure. In fact lots of places selling them with that already done.

But would that be changing it from it's original configuration?
From an FFL03 standpoint?

emcon5
12-30-2010, 9:01 PM

Arguably, although SOG, Century, J&G don't seem to think it is an issue. It is still a military configuration, and ATF's FAQ specifically addresses scopes:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/curios-relics.html#modifications

Flyin Brian
12-30-2010, 9:36 PM

You're free to make any modifications you want. It's only when you go to sell it to someone else that the "original configuration" thing comes into play. If you put it in a cheesy plastic stock it's no longer a C&R so you would have to do the transfer at an 01FFL and there would be DROS fees involved.

If you're going to buy a Mosin and want to add a PU scope, get one of the Samco ones that still has the bent bolt and still has the screw holes for the scope base even. Those are the best deal in my opinion:

https://www.samcoglobal.com/rifles-nagant.html

Bigtwin
12-30-2010, 9:51 PM
From the link provided:It is also the opinion of FTB, however, that a minor change such as the addition of scope mounts, non-original sights, or sling swivels would not remove a firearm from its original condition. After reading this I would say it is pretty clear you are OK to do so.

I am not a lawer so take it for what it is. But the DOJ seems pretty clear on this.

Interloper
12-30-2010, 10:28 PM
If you are re-snipering an ex-sniper you are in fact returning it to original configuration. ;)
Can't see why it wouldn't still be C&R.

Interloper
12-30-2010, 10:31 PM
Looks like RGuns still has original GPW snipers for $800. Still the best deal around for a sniper, in my opinion.

OHOD
12-31-2010, 5:20 AM
From the link provided:It is also the opinion of FTB, however, that a minor change such as the addition of scope mounts, non-original sights, or sling swivels would not remove a firearm from its original condition. After reading this I would say it is pretty clear you are OK to do so.

I am not a lawer so take it for what it is. But the DOJ seems pretty clear on this.

Makes sense.

OHOD
12-31-2010, 5:21 AM
If you are re-snipering an ex-sniper you are in fact returning it to original configuration. ;)
Can't see why it wouldn't still be C&R.

Logical, that is what I was thinking.
I don't want to get a reproduction scope, rather, the real deal. That's if I get an ex-sniper.

emcon5
12-31-2010, 6:36 AM
Logical, that is what I was thinking.
I don't want to get a reproduction scope, rather, the real deal. That's if I get an ex-sniper.

If you want an ex sniper with an original scope, you may as well just get the real sniper from R-Guns. You will end up spending about the same to get it to that point anyway.

steve91104
12-31-2010, 8:48 PM
https://www.samcoglobal.com/rifles-nagant.html

Hmm, never heard of this place before. Thanks for the link Brian!

Mssr. Eleganté
01-01-2011, 3:28 AM
I don't know if the answer to this part of your question has been made clear enough yet, but it's perfectly legal for you to turn a C&R firearm that you acquired as a C&R FFL into a replica of a firearm from TRON Reloaded if you want. You are under no obligation to keep your C&R firearms in C&R configuration (excluding imported shotguns and imported semi-auto rifles 922(r) compliance issues).

If you acquire a Mosin-Nagant as a C&R FFL and then chop it down and put it in a synthetic stock you have not broken any laws. You just can't transfer that rifle as C&R anymore, unless you restore it to original configuration.