PDA

View Full Version : Who felt like 1022 MUST be modded due to original imperfections?

resident-shooter
12-30-2010, 7:19 PM
OK, so I bought my first and so far only Ruger 10/22 early this year. I am really not big on modifying guns. So I just wanted a semi-cheap but good quality plinker that would shoot reliably.

A few months later I was sick of the iron sights since adjustment is such a PITA and I needed a philips driver. No biggie, I put a BSA red dot sight on it. Problem solved.

Then I got tired of its super slim grip. I mean it feels like it was designed for a 12 years old shooter. The angle is also awkward. So I got very tired of it and ordered Tapco T6 stock with a pistol grip today to solve that problem.

Next I am growing tired of the tiny, poky bolt handle, but I have not yet replaced that....

Does anyone else feel that way? That you did not want to modify anything except maybe mounting a scope, but due to all those imperfections u decided to dump some money into it? :confused:

G-forceJunkie
12-30-2010, 7:34 PM
I make my firearms to best suite me for the purpose I want to use it...if that the way the factory made it, great. If not, change it. 10/22's in particular, I have one that I left totally stock except for adding Tech iron sites. My other one is getting the full treatment, the recevier, bolt, and trigger group are all that are left from the original rifle.

sequoia_nomad
12-30-2010, 7:35 PM
A few months later I was sick of the iron sights since adjustment is such a PITA and I needed a philips driver.

Then I got tired of its super slim grip. .

Next I am growing tired of the tiny, poky bolt handle, but I have not yet replaced that....

A little cheese with that whine? Sounds like you bought a .22 thinking it was going to handle like a Garand. I've had mine for years and it is bone stock.

resident-shooter
12-30-2010, 7:39 PM
A little cheese with that whine? Sounds like you bought a .22 thinking it was going to handle like a Garand. I've had mine for years and it is bone stock.

I don't complain about my .22 marlin since it feels like it was built for an adult...

XDRoX
12-30-2010, 7:41 PM
I voted no, but then I changed my mind. I was 18 when I bought my first 10/22. There was no internet and I knew nothing about mods. There were few parts available at local stores, like stocks and extended mag releases, but besides that there wasn't much.

I really like the stock configuration of the 10/22. It's a neat little rifle IMO. But I also enjoy the modern mods that can be done to it. I think I have one 10/22 in factory stock condition in my safe and another one that looks factory but has the internals modified slightly. My other ones would be hard to tell that they were once a 10/22.

MongooseV8
12-31-2010, 7:01 AM
The 10/22 has a few absurd design nightmares. I still cant figure out why the Marlin series wasnt the rifle chosen for the huge aftermarket.

That being said I have two 10/22's now simply because I can afford to change what I want. I shake my head at them every time I shoot them because of things like theres only 1 action screw, but they are still super fun.

I feel that after adding a second action screw, threading the receiver and barrel, and tuning it up with the vast aftermarket parts available; the 10/22 cant be beat. But out of the box Id take a Savage or Marlin every time.

shrap
12-31-2010, 9:43 AM
I guess the definition of "mod" isn't what it used to be; I wouldn't consider adding a scope and bipod a "mod".

SAR_boats
12-31-2010, 9:48 AM
I bought a Target Tactical model about a year ago which already has a scope rail, bull barrel, hogue stock and extended mag release on it.

I got tired of fiddling with Rugers horrible bolt release so I put an auto bolt release in it.

After about 500 rounds I noticed the wear on the bolt stop pin and realized it is a horrible design and put in a recoil buffer pin in.

Put a trigger and hammer kit in it and polished the hammer strut because the factory trigger is crap (although the Target Tactical factory trigger is a lot better than stock)

I was hoping that buying the top of the line model would preclude me having to do stuff like this but it is a factory rifle and not hand fitted or match grade.

Scratch705
12-31-2010, 11:58 AM
all i added was a scope to mine. it suits me just fine as my go-to fun/beater gun.

the only thing i don't like is the lame bolt hold open, but thankfully i'll be getting a chamber flag so i don't have to mess with that again.

toby
12-31-2010, 12:12 PM
No way! you can modify these things? Ok joke, when I got my three there were no mods for these guns, but when they perfected the Barrels and came out with nice laminated stocks I went for it, then added aftermarket internals.

Reductio
12-31-2010, 12:16 PM
You guys bought an auto-bolt release?! :banghead: It's 2 minutes with a dremel... and the first mod I did after taking it out.

The mag release is also a bit off, so I got an extended one... and I didn't like the sights, so I got cheapish glass for it... that's it so far, and I'm very happy with it for a plinker gun.

resident-shooter
12-31-2010, 12:22 PM
If it stayed open after the last round....... I would sent personal thankz to rewgr

CSACANNONEER
12-31-2010, 12:29 PM
I don't know of any imperfections in the original design of the 10-22. There are a lot of aftermarket parts to personalize them but, they work great right out of the box. OK, the new ones suck in comparision to older ones but, the design is the same. The reasons the newer ones suck have more to do with cutting corners than the design.

Tythagoras
12-31-2010, 1:27 PM
I got my 10-22 about 8 years ago. It never was reliable with the factory magazines. It got better with Butler Creek magazines, but never really acceptable. Precision was always terrible. New barrel, stock, hammer, trigger parts. All made it better, but never good.

I got a CZ bolt-action and it did everything I wanted it to, and gave the 10-22 away.

Tank 57
12-31-2010, 1:35 PM
My first gun.34 years ago.Still stock.Would buy a new one to mod.Would not touch my original.It has a scope and nice sling,don't consider those mods.They are accessories.Functions flawlessly with factory mags after many rounds.Well used and well cared for.Still one of my favs.

resident-shooter
12-31-2010, 1:35 PM
I got my 10-22 about 8 years ago. It never was reliable with the factory magazines. It got better with Butler Creek magazines, but never really acceptable. Precision was always terrible. New barrel, stock, hammer, trigger parts. All made it better, but never good.

I got a CZ bolt-action and it did everything I wanted it to, and gave the 10-22 away.

I am not even going to bother with internals and bull barrel on my 1022. It will never match $250 bolt action rifles, even if I drop $500 into the 1022.

DirtNapKing
12-31-2010, 1:46 PM
Dont! Unless you want an ape hanger handle bar to lean on. That poky handle keeps you from hanging up on things. The size is perfect IMO. But then again I have seen charging handles the size of door knobs hanging off of 10-22s To each there own I guess. :cool:

DirtNapKing
12-31-2010, 1:51 PM
http://coolguyguns.com/webstore/images/large/CockingHandlesAssy_LRG.jpg

Installed on my 10-22
http://inlinethumb14.webshots.com/41869/2905900630012641935S600x600Q85.jpghttp://inlinethumb54.webshots.com/45685/2236338300012641935S500x500Q85.jpg

You can find one at http://coolguyguns.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=40&zenid=2d6d597d6c09c373be92bbbfa133c789

Oldrice
12-31-2010, 1:56 PM
I purchased my first 10/22 in 1978 after growing up and shooting a Winchester 62A for most of my childhood. I bought it because it was a magazine-fed semi-auto and "everybody else had one." There were few aftermarket parts available and, until the Mitchell 50 round teardrop mags came out, we were limited to the crappy 25 round Ram-Lines that weren't worth a $#!+. Prior to the Mitchells, I ended up with about a dozen factory 10 rounders. LOL

Mine has always functioned well and has been very reliable, but I have always hated the miserable factory sights and never felt that it was really all that accurate - there were a number of times in the field that I chose to not take shots on targets that I would have never hesitated to wack with the pump. I even installed an old, but pefectly good, Weaver J4 scope on it, but could never get it to hold zero on the rifle. I always chalked that up to the cheap, factory scope mount and set screws. (?)

About five years ago I bought a "Krinker Plinker" kit for it because of the M-16 style sights. The kit did improve the accuracy of the rifle, but the stock ended up being too damn short for me, so I gave the whole thing to my Godson. He loves it. :D

Please - I'm not trying to rag on 10/22s. They are good weapons. Mine just never really suited me and I just wanted to add my two cents without affecting the poll.

_Z_
12-31-2010, 1:58 PM
Maybe some people mod the 10/22 because of the crazy amount of options and parts out there for people to do so? The aftermarket support isn't as great for other .22 rifles but it is there kinda. I think that's why a lot of people buy a 10/22 is so they can change it around to what they like.

resident-shooter
12-31-2010, 2:15 PM
Normal capacity mads that actually work are a big advantage of buying 1022. :)

Masterdebater
12-31-2010, 2:25 PM
how is a scope and a sling not a mod? "modifications"are anything that wasnt sold or built on the unit requiring addition. if it isnt from the factory then u modified the gun by adding scopes, bipods, slings, mags, bolts, screws...
Modification-alteration: the act of making something different (as e.g. the size of a garment)
ie change-an event that occurs when something passes from one state or phase to another.

sounds like adding a sling or a scope has ALWAYS been the definition of a modification so i think its safe to call them so :euro:<<< buzz killington

oh and yea the 10-22 is like the honda of cars, they put em out cheap with their imperfections to promote personalization id say, have at it!

JaMail
12-31-2010, 2:39 PM
as far as feeling cheap.. handle one built in the 70's and handle one built today, there is honestly a big difference.

the metal parts damage more easily but you can really feel the difference from the newer plastic ones.

i own 4 10/22's..

my wife's pink one with a 90's receiver.

my newer model purchased already modded with barrel, stock, trigger, extractor.

an early 70's deluxe sporter, never fired in the original box.

and a 70's model beater thats been shot, dropped,. dragged, and tossed in the back of a pickup truck.

i love 10/22's

resident-shooter
12-31-2010, 2:49 PM
how is a scope and a sling not a mod? "modifications"are anything that wasnt sold or built on the unit requiring addition. if it isnt from the factory then u modified the gun by adding scopes, bipods, slings, mags, bolts, screws...
Modification-alteration: the act of making something different (as e.g. the size of a garment)
ie change-an event that occurs when something passes from one state or phase to another.

sounds like adding a sling or a scope has ALWAYS been the definition of a modification so i think its safe to call them so :euro:<<< buzz killington

oh and yea the 10-22 is like the honda of cars, they put em out cheap with their imperfections to promote personalization id say, have at it!

I guess the mods could be divided into two categories: bolt-on bods and internal mods. Kind of like with cars ;)

DirtNapKing
12-31-2010, 3:05 PM
For me the results are 180. Never had issues with Ruger 10 rounders and always had issues with after market magazines. With the right trigger job and barrel the results were/are amazing. I don't not own any models produced after 2008. Not a fan of plastic. The newer guns feel like a rattle can half full of paint.

SLO1911Fan
12-31-2010, 3:11 PM

I decided to modify my bolt handle the morning of a speed competition. A piece of 9mm or .38 brass fits perfectly over the handle and gives a great grip. I used a .357 case for the extra length and eventually painted a bunch of them with a black sandy textured paint. When one got worn I would just replace it and throw it away.

CSACANNONEER
12-31-2010, 3:16 PM

There are modifications and there are additions. BTW, what are these "imperfections" that you're talking about. They work just as they were designed to. Any mods are normally done because the owner wants something different but, the OEM stuff works fine.

otteray
12-31-2010, 4:00 PM
Now, here's a quote!

A Ruger 10/22 has more accessories than a teenaged transgendered schizophrenic.

source: http://www.lesjones.com/2009/05/19/impractical-but-cool-guns/

I shot a fellow Calgunner's new Ruger today; it was really accurate with a red dot sight and a Hogue stock at 50 yards or so.

870JG10/22
12-31-2010, 4:31 PM
I bought mine because it was a good priced gun and was a good name of guns not some knock off brand. I really like my Ruger I am going to replace the trigger group simply because plastic should never guard the thing that makes it go BANG!!! So I will change that and small mods along the way. If I would have had the money to buy something that was perfect I would have but this gun was a good entry gun and an impulse buy. I have a Remington 870 Express Shotgun nothings changed on it I bought it because it was a well rounded gun it does what I need it to do KILL CROWS!! If you buy something and expect it to be perfect for everyone you better have it custom made. Things are made for the "average" person. There not made for people that have hands the size of a 20 ib sledge hammer, There made for people on the average. My 10/22 the way it is as far as the stock is perfect. I do not like the dumb gold dot on the sight it should have been a brighter color for ease of sight but thats things that can be fixed.

MongooseV8
12-31-2010, 4:31 PM
Wait whats all this about the factory mags being lame? Thats all I use, in fact I have thrown away a bunch of crappy aftermarket mags. Anyone that doesnt want their terrible factory mags can send them to my house, I will be happy to cover the shipping =)

BTW Trimag mounts ftw

resident-shooter
12-31-2010, 6:46 PM
Ruger drum mags require cleaning once in a while, but otherwise they work just fine for me.

Tythagoras
01-01-2011, 6:37 AM
For me the results are 180. Never had issues with Ruger 10 rounders and always had issues with after market magazines. With the right trigger job and barrel the results were/are amazing. I don't not own any models produced after 2008. Not a fan of plastic. The newer guns feel like a rattle can half full of paint.

I got a lemon, no doubt about it. I bought it because everybody I knew of who had one loved it. I know for a fact that the 10/22 can be made very precise, as I've seen the match results that speak for themselves. I know it can be reliable, too. Although that particular specimen didn't work out for me, I don't rule out the possibility that I may try one again someday. It seems like a solid design, with some flaws.

Knowing what I know about the design now, If I got a new one today, I'd drill a hole in the back of the receiver to facilitate cleaning without removing the barrel. I'd mod the bolt release, and extend the magazine release. I'd probably mod the trigger again, the trigger was long and gritty on mine. I would have to replace the stock, since the one they had on mine was way too small. I'd need new sights, I don't like open sights, especially with a bead front sight.

Imperfect design? Not necessarily, but it's not well suited to me.

1spartan
01-01-2011, 7:24 AM
My first gun.34 years ago.Still stock.Would buy a new one to mod.Would not touch my original.It has a scope and nice sling,don't consider those mods.They are accessories.Functions flawlessly with factory mags after many rounds.Well used and well cared for.Still one of my favs.
Had mine 25 years and never a problem, it's a total tack driver and always has been. Only mod has been a scope on and off.

trob
01-01-2011, 8:42 AM
stock 10/22s are a perfect base gun. They can EASILY see a great improvement.

xibunkrlilkidsx
01-01-2011, 8:13 PM
i did the same thing. started out just keeping it stock with a scope..than wanted a different stock, small stock for a tall lanky man doesnt work. and got a hammer kit on a steal. got the barrel for free.

sniper5
01-02-2011, 5:37 AM
Bought one for the spousal unit because she needed something light weight to shoot on the rimfire range with me. My target rifle at 11 lbs was too heavy for her. She hates pink and thought the Jacaranda was pretty. Added a red dot, sling and made the bolt auto release with the dremel. Done. It shoots more accurate than her and she loves it.

brianinca
01-02-2011, 10:50 AM
>>>>
It will never match $250 bolt action rifles, even if I drop $500 into the 1022.
>>>

You're kidding, right? I've saved a few of my targets with multiple 10 shot groups at 100 yards going under .8" with Wolf Match Target. I'm sure SOME bolt guns could equal that, but you are otherwise misinformed.

$500 is about what I have in my 10/22 from >5 years ago (including glass).

Anything other than a Savage AccuTrigger is going to need an aftermarket trigger. Marlin triggers are HORRIBLE, I can't believe they haven't gotten the memo yet.

The Savages shoot well, but you still need decent glass and I've yet to see anyone shooting them at or beyond 100 yards. My 10/22 is the first/only 22LR I've shot at 100 yards. There's a reason most 22's are shot at 50 yards.

I don't recall seeing any modern 22LR bolt guns except Savages and Marlins in at least the last 5 years, and we have about 1400 paid members at our range. If they are able to group better than a "$500 1022" they haven't shown it.

Regards,
Brian in CA

resident-shooter
01-02-2011, 11:00 AM
>>>>
It will never match $250 bolt action rifles, even if I drop $500 into the 1022.
>>>

You're kidding, right? I've saved a few of my targets with multiple 10 shot groups at 100 yards going under .8" with Wolf Match Target. I'm sure SOME bolt guns could equal that, but you are otherwise misinformed.

$500 is about what I have in my 10/22 from >5 years ago (including glass).

Anything other than a Savage AccuTrigger is going to need an aftermarket trigger. Marlin triggers are HORRIBLE, I can't believe they haven't gotten the memo yet.

The Savages shoot well, but you still need decent glass and I've yet to see anyone shooting them at or beyond 100 yards. My 10/22 is the first/only 22LR I've shot at 100 yards. There's a reason most 22's are shot at 50 yards.

I don't recall seeing any modern 22LR bolt guns except Savages and Marlins in at least the last 5 years, and we have about 1400 paid members at our range. If they are able to group better than a "$500 1022" they haven't shown it.

Regards,
Brian in CA

Um yes, my Marlin 925R has done similar groups before at 100 yards with Mini Mag ammo.

ojisan
01-02-2011, 11:07 AM
Being a tinkerer, I modify almost everything I own...cars, trucks, motorcycles, tools, my house, I even tweaked my wife with Lasic eye surgery.

So tweaking a 10/22 (or any gun) to be the way I want it to be is expected.
That does not mean the original was imperfect.

dg29
01-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Um yes, my Marlin 925R has done similar groups before at 100 yards with Mini Mag ammo.

We should meet at a range sometime. The parking brake on my truck is out of adjustment and that Marlin of yours would fit the bill as a wheel stop. I'll bring some 10/22's for you to try out and some proper target ammo.
:D

brianinca
01-02-2011, 11:17 AM
>>>
>>>

https://sites.google.com/site/brianinca/home/ruger-10-22/1022-WOLF-100YDS-full.jpg?attredirects=0

What does "similar" mean to you?

Regards,
Brian in CA

resident-shooter
01-02-2011, 1:43 PM
10 shots in .8" groups or less.

vintagearms
01-02-2011, 2:19 PM
You guys bought an auto-bolt release?! :banghead: It's 2 minutes with a dremel... and the first mod I did after taking it out.

The mag release is also a bit off, so I got an extended one... and I didn't like the sights, so I got cheapish glass for it... that's it so far, and I'm very happy with it for a plinker gun.

Not all shooters own dremels and I have heard too many horror stories with gunowners and being heavy handed with their dremels. I bought mine as a kit with a dealer discount so bundled it was worth it to me.

scootergmc
01-02-2011, 2:27 PM
10 shots in .8" groups or less.

Time out. Maybe I misunderstood something... But you're shooting 10 rounds .8" @ 100 yards with a stock Marlin? And mini-mag ammo? Why are you on Calguns? You should be out winning every national competition.

shadow65
01-02-2011, 2:51 PM
I've had mine in a BC folder but am seriously thinking of going back to a stock configuration.

resident-shooter
01-02-2011, 3:20 PM
Time out. Maybe I misunderstood something... But you're shooting 10 rounds .8" @ 100 yards with a stock Marlin? And mini-mag ammo? Why are you on Calguns? You should be out winning every national competition.

Yes, with internally stock Marlin bolt action and 9X32 scope.

Reductio
01-02-2011, 3:31 PM
Not all shooters own dremels and I have heard too many horror stories with gunowners and being heavy handed with their dremels. I bought mine as a kit with a dealer discount so bundled it was worth it to me.

* shrugs * I figured I was going to replace it one way or the other. If I screwed it up, I'd buy the new one. If I didn't, I saved myself a few bucks. FWIW, it's got to be one of the easiest possible mods imaginable.

Sunday
01-02-2011, 3:35 PM
I have a 10/22 I bought around 1977 and really cleaned it for the second time since new 2 weeks ago. I have sprayed CLP onto the breech to wash out the crud a couple of times. Oh yeah I put an aftermarket trigger in it during the early 90s. I don't really improve my guns because I can't ever tell the difference because I don't have what it takes to shoot good but I do have fun. That is one of the reasons I am selling off all my 30 cal rifles.

Sunday
01-02-2011, 4:06 PM
http://coolguyguns.com/webstore/inde...92bbbfa133c789
Interesting parts.

DirtNapKing
01-02-2011, 4:17 PM
I bought Volquartsen release as a template. I grab up as many stock Ruger releases as I can get my hands on and do the auto mod. with a chain saw file. The Dremel is not needed for this at all. I sell them for $7 modified.

scootergmc
01-02-2011, 7:06 PM
Yes, with internally stock Marlin bolt action and 9X32 scope.

Like I said, you shouldn't be here. You are the best shooter in the world.

resident-shooter
01-02-2011, 7:13 PM
Like I said, you shouldn't be here. You are the best shooter in the world.

Do u personally own Marlin 925?

Freeballer
01-02-2011, 7:35 PM
I do not think that the 10/22 must be modded due to imperfections.

The 10/22 performs very well in its "Stock" state.

You did not modify "imperfections" you modified it to your specific tastes.

While the 10/22 does function well in its original state it is fun to modify this rifle and it is cheap to shoot.

Would you state that having to add a scope to a remington 700 would be correcting a "imperfection"?

scootergmc
01-02-2011, 8:44 PM
Do u personally own Marlin 925?

I do not. I do however own a 917, with the same T-900 trigger system, which was replaced with a Rifle Basix system. If you are shooting sub-moa with the heavy, sloppy factory trigger system and mini-mag ammo (which has never been known for having inherent accuracy), you should be shooting competitively and winning routinely, seriously. You should look into match ammo and a trigger system.

Gryff
01-02-2011, 10:46 PM
I've had one for nearly 40 years and it was completely stock until I recently added an inexpensive red dot optic. I've had an International model for about 15 years, and it has a 3-9X cheapie scope. Love them both.

Other than the fact that the original mag release blows, these are fantastic rifles for the price. Rugged, reliable, relatively accurate.

resident-shooter
01-02-2011, 11:02 PM
I do not. I do however own a 917, with the same T-900 trigger system, which was replaced with a Rifle Basix system. If you are shooting sub-moa with the heavy, sloppy factory trigger system and mini-mag ammo (which has never been known for having inherent accuracy), you should be shooting competitively and winning routinely, seriously. You should look into match ammo and a trigger system.

The trigger does suck quite a bit on the marlins. Its tooooo flexible and there is a lot of left/right lag.... It works tho.

38super
01-03-2011, 8:50 AM
The 10/22 is the rimfire equivalent chevy small block, I tinker therefore no gun I own has not been tweaked. DIY sub 2 lb trigger, auto bolt release, Midway unfinished TH stock/barrel (Adams/Bennet, aka GM) combo & Tasco 3x9 optics. 9mm cases at 50yds with Wolf MT are easy.

moosegun
03-15-2011, 2:18 PM
I disagree. No gun is going to be perfect for everyone. ppl have different preference and diff sizes. The fact ppl are mod. 10 22 alot is the fact that you are able to with all the available parts. I'm sure their are other firearms out ppl think it's not perfect but they cant do much about it because there isn't mod for it.. The real reason you hear about 10 22 mod alot is because it is a very popular gun/proven reliable rifle. IMO anyways.

Rock6.3
03-15-2011, 2:38 PM
The Ruger 10/22 needs the following mods in my opinion:

1. Decent sights. I use TechSights.
2. Auto Bolt Release. That lever is a nasty pain that is easily fixed.
3. Extended mag release. Mine had the flush button to push up on.
4. Front stud for mounting a sling swivel.
5. Trigger work. My trigger felt like it had sand in it.
6. Comb height increase.

Optional mods:
1. Bolt buffer.
2. Scope.
3. Rear sling swivel stud.

Now it is suitable for Appleseed.

erik_26
03-15-2011, 3:02 PM
I can't see why people buy such a proven design only to spend way more than the gun costs new to just to modify it?

Mine is stock. The only thing I added was a $30 Berska scope. It is so much fun to shoot.

If I want to customize a rifle I will do it to my AR 15. Even then, if it works for our men and women in the military, why mess with it?

jackandblood
03-15-2011, 3:14 PM
nope, I just wanted a folding stock minimum OAL 26".

cudakidd
03-15-2011, 3:44 PM
I mod them cause I can, in each and every case accuracy AND reliability was improved. These were meant as cheap plinkers, over the years that has changed but the design hasn't...

Hence the mods...one of mine: And since this photo I added a Kidd trigger! Fantastic by the way. 1.5 pound trigger pull...

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo284/cudakidd/ruger/CIMG4883.jpg

hefedehefe
03-15-2011, 3:45 PM
I bought the thing thinking about all the mods and went that route, but afterwards I just went back to the origianl everything. I got tired of all the stuff. BTW I have a practically new folding stock for sale if you want it :D

Peter.Steele
03-15-2011, 3:45 PM
I started with a 1970's 10/22, my dad gave it to me when I was 12. I added a cheap 4-16 scope in Weaver high-rise see through mounts. Basically wore the poor gun out.

Buddy of mine bought a brand new 10/22 to use as a base for modification, and gave me everything from it except the receiver and magazine. I went through and put the new barrel on, used some of the fire control parts, like the new extended mag release, new bolt catch, and all the springs. Kept the metal trigger, FCG housing, etc. Used the new stock, too, so I didn't have to drill holes in my old walnut stock for mounting the bipod.

I don't really count the new parts as modifications, though, since those are Ruger factory OEM parts.

I'm amazed, though, at how much happier this gun is with the new stuff. New springs make a HUGE difference in the way it feels. Same with the new bolt release ... it just works, every time. No awkward fumbling with it like on the original one.

Izzy43
03-15-2011, 4:15 PM
Gotta throw the BS flag here. Ain't nobody shootin .8", 10 shot groups with mini-mags out of a Marlin 925 with a stock trigger and a 3-9 mag scope. If someone is I'd like to see a pic of the targets. I'd like to see the targets from a 10/22 that can do that as well. Mighty, mighty good shooting with cheap ammo.

10 shots under an inch at 100yds is really, really tough to do, 3 or 5 shot group maybe but 10???

Maybe an Anschutz or Kimber or Izhmash or other target rifle with a 36x scope with Tenex match ammo.

shinbone
03-15-2011, 4:45 PM
^^^ and absolutely no wind.

I think a 10/22 would be perfect for what it is with a trigger job, a bolt buffer, and maybe peepsights. Its good for what it is.. cant be comparing it to much else.

Ive done my first ever trigger job on my 10/22, using a hard arkansas stone. Its a good gun to learn on. The trigger is down to 3.6lb

SilentPea
03-15-2011, 4:50 PM
Dropped a new stock on mine because of my albatross arms, took a couple days with dremel/sandpaper to fix the bolt release and trigger.

Spend about 100 bucks on some cool looking target sights and got a free stainless takeoff barrel from a guy that upgraded.

Shoots fine for me. I've thought about pillar bedding/floating the barrel and a bunch of other mods, but I'm not at the point where my skills match what the rifle can do so...

shadowofnight
03-15-2011, 5:33 PM
The 3 things that truely improve a 10/22 accuracy wise ( They already shoot great the way they come ) are...

1. Float the barrel ...I dont care if you just rip off the barrel band and float the standard stock ( See Pic ) ...or go all out and replace it.

2. Improve factory trigger...Again, you can massage the factory trigger or go all out with a KIDD.

3. Headspace the bolt...From the factory they come sloppy as hell...you can either have the factory bolt ground down to .0425 ....or buy a new Match bolt.

Doing those 3 things, either extremely cheaply to the stock parts ...or ponying up for high dollar items...will dramatically increase the accuracy of your 10/22.

Sure , replacing the barrel is another step in accuracy...but you would be surprised how good that little stock barrel shoots when not bound up.

Here is a factory stock I refinished/full floated/cut off the barrel band area to a nice angled cut...didnt cost anything but a little time.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=89935&d=1300238783

resident-shooter
03-15-2011, 5:36 PM
Talking about thread revival.....

10-22
03-16-2011, 7:59 AM
The only mods on mime are a Volquartsen hammer and a nylon bolt-stop pin. Other than that, it's a stock '73 and I love it. No visible mods for me.

OHW
03-16-2011, 8:29 AM
Absolutely needed was a stock bed job. The up pressure nub at the front was pushing the barrel so far to the left I could not sight it in drifting the irons or hit paper with a scope. A sanding with a dowel to remove the crooked lump , and a accu-glass nub to replace it made it shoot on target. Crappy QC and workmanship.
The trigger after a greatwest gunsmith video was a massive improvement. No added parts except a bolt buffer. I got a sharp shooter now . My favorite .22 never for sale.

resident-shooter
08-12-2011, 1:49 PM
Well, as the time went on.... I realized just how uncomfortable that grip was for me. Tapco ftw

justasking
02-06-2012, 11:11 AM
with a caveat...the length of pul adjustaability of an aftermarket stock was my reason. My wife is only 4'11" with all the corresponding fit difficulties. Once i got her fitted, she also had a little trouble with the bolt handle...she has a titanium plate in her right forearm...so i fitted an empty 9mm brass to the handle and painted it flat black. Problem solved. So much so i did the mod to mine too. So the mods were the reason, but i didn't know of any design flaws...still don't really. These are fit issues more than design flaws i think. I am new to the forum...not trying to resurrect a dead topic...just hope this helps someone.

Merc1138
02-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Stock barrel sucked, stock bolt catch sucked, stock stock sucked, stock barrel band sucked, stock trigger sucked, stock CH sucked, finish on the stock bolt sucked...

The only thing I like about it stock, is how easy it is to change the barrel. Ruger could and should offer a proper high-end model that includes the changes so many people end up doing anyway. If/when I do end up building another(for myself next time), I'm probably not even going to bother starting with a ruger since I literally changed everything but the receiver, v-block, and v-block screws. The only upside is that now I have a 10/22 to sell sans receiver as parts.

wsmc27
02-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Talking about thread revival.....

You can say THAT again!

:)

Like a poster back in 2010 wrote on first page, I too bought one when I turned 18 (many decades ago) and there wern't no internet, and the big mod was a little scope.

Great little rifle. Nothing sucked. Wish I hadn't sold it. :rolleyes:

duggan
02-06-2012, 12:42 PM
I've tried talking my 12 y/o daughter into changing/adding things to hers and she doesn't want to. She likes it the way it is and shes a pretty good shot.

duggan
02-06-2012, 12:42 PM
I've tried talking my 12 y/o daughter into changing/adding things to hers and she doesn't want to. She likes it the way it is and shes a pretty good shot.

JNunez23
02-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Besides Optics, I shoot mine STOCK and love it!

sholling
02-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Which one? :D

I didn't plan on any mods when I bought my first 10/22. I bought it as a cheap and fun plinker and soon learned that for me (as Townsend Whelen said) "only accurate rifles are interesting". A factory 10/22 is a 2-3MOA hunter/plinker based on Bill Ruger's build'em absolutely reliable but just accurate enough for the intended purpose philosophy. Once I'd modified my first one into a really accurate target rifle I found that it was like eating peanuts and one just isn't enough. Over the next few years I purchased five more as project rifles and modified the one my dad left me as a tribute to him. This was my first:

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/damnfineguy/22s%20-%201024/IMG_0145a.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/damnfineguy/IMG_0198-1.jpghttp://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/damnfineguy/IMG_0199-1.jpg
10rds of casual shooting at 50m. The rifle can and has done
much better but the shooter still needs some work.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/damnfineguy/22s%20-%201024/IMG_0272a.jpg
Dad's old beat up 10/22 after a few mods.

pennys dad
02-07-2012, 11:22 AM
I like most things stock with no changes but my 10/22's and 795 always get the stock changed, irons sights changed or scope added and on the 10/22 I will mod the bolt hold open annoyance.

Gryff
02-07-2012, 12:06 PM
Blatant poll fail.

"No. I like the gun the way it is."

kaboom
02-09-2012, 3:37 PM
Mine is still as bone-stock as when my parents gave it to me 30 years ago. I'll admit one thing though, I bought a second one a couple years ago, stainless and composite, and I hated it. The grip on the composite stock was as mentioned, and the plastic reciever made me sick. I traded it within a month and just restored my old 10/22. My first gun that happens to be all wood and metal, right down to the butt plate.

emsalex
02-09-2012, 6:22 PM
I have one with a nice walnut stock that stays locked up that has ben in the family much longer then me .
another I payed 80 bucks for with a 6 digit serial number in a chopped up stock at an oal of 27", auto bolt release, triger job, polished bolt trigger charging handle, diy bult buffer. Only thing on it I did not do is the vq extractor.

no mods "needed" but what else is there to do on the days you need a gun fix but can't get to the range.

Gnome
02-10-2012, 8:42 AM
There is a entire forum/website dedicated to the Ruger 10/22 (Rimfire Central). Sure, there are other .22s discussed on there, but the majority is the Ruger 10/22. They love modding their guns. I think that is half the fun. Everything from mild to wild. They even have a category called "Super Stock." Very classy looking.

If the Ruger 10/22 was such an imperfect gun, Bass Pro Shops and other retailers would not consistently be selling out of them. Yes, I called the Bass Pro in Rancho Cucamunga several days ago, and they are all out of the carbine (wooden stock) until Friday. Gun Counter says it happens quite often with the 10/22.

chickenfried
02-10-2012, 9:48 AM
My first 10/22 was a 10/22T which I loved. The first time I handled a bone stock basic 10/22 I was a little underwhelmed. Trigger pull was so heavy I thought I had the safety on. Accuracy was so so, didn't care for the sights. Mods are cheap, easy ro do yourself, and produce good results.

I wish every rifle was as easy as the 10/22 to modify and improve. Sure you don't "need" to do it. But there's a lot of nice stuff we don't need :p.

htfan
02-10-2012, 1:43 PM
I had my 10/22 for 25 years before I decided to mod. It was under-used until I decided to "Tweek" it... stock, barrel, trigger work, etc. It is a wonderful gun!

Kelster1574
02-10-2012, 6:16 PM
I currently own two and just ordered another today. The first one I ever bought 10+ years ago was a Stainless Target Model with Laminate Stock. I mounted a very nice Leupold on it and it has stayed the same for 10+ years..........A few years back I bought one of the basic models, added a DNZ Game Reaper mount and Redfield 3-9X40 and let me just say it can shoot way better than I can, I have since added a Revolution Stock in Red/Blue/Natural not because it needed it, because I thought it looked cool.....Today I ordered the basic Tacital version. I have already decided I am adding a Hogue Rubber Stock, Larger Bolt Handle, and an inexpensive red dot and I will be done, with what should be a fun rifle to shoot. Ruger has sold more 10/22's than any other semi auto (I seen that stat somehwere, not sure if it is a fact or not) and I doubt they would have done so if you "had" to modify it just to make it a decent shooting rifle. Just my .02

pilote
02-10-2012, 10:30 PM
"No. I have no interest in modding" -- where is this answer option?

i was gifted one when i was in high school...never had interest in modding it then, and i never will; it's fine for what it is...a basic low cost rimfire.

i don't really shoot it anymore (the henry is the primary); but it's available when i want to.

BayouBullets
02-25-2012, 12:29 PM
I always liked them, but almost every factory trigger made today needs a little work. the wide variety of stock replacement options also made it a very convenient .22 to start children on while still retaining adult use.

G60
02-25-2012, 9:24 PM
I've got just a Volquartsen hammer in mine and the only other thing I feel I need is more ammo.