PDA

View Full Version : New Ruger 10/22 Tactical

rckjeep
12-30-2010, 5:43 PM
I placed an order for my first 10/22 a new Tactical model from Ruger. I ordered it from US Firearms in Sunnyvale. So I've got to wait for it to come in then wait my 10 days. It should have been ordered on the 28th. It should be here by the 3rd or 4th then in my hands by the 14th. Lets hope it all goes to plan.
http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Tactical/images/1261.jpg
The plan is to build it as a Run 'n' Gun gun. I'd like to change the stock to either a Hogue FDE rubber stock or the Tapco T6 stock. I'm curious if the Tapco stock will accept a Magpul pistol grip and CTS buttstock. If so I may go that route. Then I'll run a red dot sight. They only thing that sucks is the fact that the Tapco looks a bit silly without the banana clips we can't get here in CA. So that leans me towards the Hogue stock. I'll do the auto release mod and after some trigger time I'll put a trigger kit in it.

Any tips about the Tapco stock would be appreciated, thanks in advance

Oh and has anyone had any luck painting the stock plastic stock? I may paint it in the meantime timll I can get the new stock. If so what paint would be best. Krylon has a Camo line but all the cans I've got just won't spray anymore and most of them are still very full. Any tips?

DirtNapKing
12-30-2010, 5:57 PM
Since you are going to add goodies I am curious why you didn't just go with a standard 10-22? Are you going to stick with the barrel that's coming on your tactical model? If you can keep the overall weight under 7 pounds they make for a great run n gun set up. Keep us posted! Good luck!

sequoia_nomad
12-30-2010, 6:34 PM
Since you are going to add goodies I am curious why you didn't just go with a standard 10-22? Are you going to stick with the barrel that's coming on your tactical model? If you can keep the overall weight under 7 pounds they make for a great run n gun set up. Keep us posted! Good luck!

^^This, exactly. The only difference is the stock and barrel, and it comes with the rail already attached. Eliminates iron sights and adds a tacticool flash hider. Why spend the extra $100 if you're going to jack it around anyway?

rckjeep
12-30-2010, 8:14 PM

Ya basically I got this one for the threaded barrel & flash hider. Also it wasn't even close to $100 more. Locally the standard model is $250-280. I paid about the same

Boomer...
12-30-2010, 8:46 PM
...The plan is to build it as a Run 'n' Gun gun... Does this term imply "bug-out" gun? I too considered a Ruger Tactical since I own several of their handguns, but I stuck with my old Marlins. I bought the Papoose 70p new many years ago and (then legal) banana clips same time which now sports the Bushnell 30mm red dot. Not tacticool, but either Marlin is lighter than a nearly 7# VLEH, plus the additional 15 rounds don't weight much either! :D All meant in good fun and I'd enjoy having a Tactical rifle too! BTW, I also do rock jeeps... :cool2:

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2108/12357033/21981245/391313866.jpg

rckjeep
12-31-2010, 3:16 PM
No the Run 'N' Gun is a contest where you run to a position and shoot at a target, then run to another position and shoot, and so on and so on. I've built a simple 4 position course at some property we own in the mtns. Though setting it up as a survival rifle is another thing it could get used for since the ammo is the lighter than anything else.

I'm currently researching which red dot I sould buy since it doesn't come with any sights what so ever. I'd like something with a crosshair but most sites don't tell you what options each sight comes with. The Bushnell TROPHY red dot has a 4 option reticle for under $100. Anyone have any experience with it?

DirtNapKing
12-31-2010, 3:27 PM
No the Run 'N' Gun is a contest where you run to a position and shoot at a target, then run to another position and shoot, and so on and so on. I've built a simple 4 position course at some property we own in the mtns. Though setting it up as a survival rifle is another thing it could get used for since the ammo is the lighter than anything else.

I'm currently researching which red dot I sould buy since it doesn't come with any sights what so ever. I'd like something with a crosshair but most sites don't tell you what options each sight comes with. The Bushnell TROPHY red dot has a 4 option reticle for under $100. Anyone have any experience with it?
You can go with a rimfire specific scope and piggy back a micro red dot system like I have for your CQB scenarios. My JPoint micro set up is for CQV. Close Quarter Varmint or rolling clays. ;)

Boomer...
12-31-2010, 4:11 PM
Ah... now I understand the sport. Good exercise too! The Bushnell shown with my Marlins is a Trophy 730132A which has a unique auto-shutoff feature. I bought it for my Ruger MkII "slabside", but found it sat too high above the pistol for my liking. I replaced it with a 1" UltraDot red dot that I really like, but I admit to killing more than one battery by forgetting to shut it off. This Trophy (which does have crosshairs) avoids that! :cool: http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-airgun-sportsman-3-9x32-riflescope.html

rckjeep
01-02-2011, 11:45 PM
So I'm still waiting for my rifle to come in. But I did order an extended bolt handle by Power Customs. Also picked up a FDE Magpul CTR stock for my AR. Then I'll take the black one currently on the AR and put it on a Tapco stock for the 10/22. That and the auto release mod will be the first mods. I'll check out the Trophy red dot. Thanks

Oh does anyone have an idea as to which setup might be lighter.

factory syn stock with UTG quadrail or Tapco stock?

pennys dad
01-03-2011, 8:52 PM
I was at the shop today and I saw a customer wanting to buy one of these Rugers but he wanted to take the flash suppressor off. Kind of odd but whatever

rckjeep
01-05-2011, 10:07 PM
Here's the parts list of things I've ordered so far

Tactical 10/22
Tapco FDE stock
Magpul CTR buttstock black
Power Customs extended bolt handle
Magpul foregrip black
UTG quadrail
UTG bipod
BSA 30mm Red Dot

Now if my rifle would come in I could start my 10day and get this project rolling.

rckjeep
01-08-2011, 4:05 PM
got some more parts in today. started my 10 day, still waiting for the rifle to get here. Damn the distributor is slow as hell

rckjeep
01-09-2011, 5:54 PM
Got the Sight, bipod and rail. Just waiting on the stock, oh and the rifle

870JG10/22
01-09-2011, 8:47 PM
Rckjeep who did you order your bipod threw? I have the standard Ruger 10/22 and want to get one for mine I looked at Ruger online but they didnt have a bipod.

rckjeep
01-10-2011, 8:48 AM
Rckjeep who did you order your bipod threw? I have the standard Ruger 10/22 and want to get one for mine I looked at Ruger online but they didnt have a bipod.

I ordered it from Cheaperthandirt.com, but I think it's too short. Get one that's in the 8-11" range.

Also, I tried to put the Magpul Milspec buttstock on my buddies Tapco and it doesn't fit. The Tapco faux buffer tube is too large in diameter. I think the commercial buffer tube is larger in OD, so maybe I can make a trade.

rckjeep
01-12-2011, 3:13 PM
I've got all the parts now, just need my rifle. I'll check out the link, thanks
http://www.nor-calrcrc.com/albums/album94/aay.sized.jpg

Even got the side rail mounted up for the light.
http://www.nor-calrcrc.com/albums/album94/abb.sized.jpg

calibanman
01-12-2011, 3:20 PM
what came first the chicken or the egg?:D

toby
01-12-2011, 3:25 PM
Why in the duck do they insist on that stupid barrel band?..:90:

rckjeep
01-12-2011, 9:11 PM
what came first the chicken or the egg?:D

Well I've got the chickens new shel all set. Kinda crazy that I put a deposit down on Dec. 23rd and still haven't got it yet. Though with the holiday it didn't get ordered till the 28th but I'm getting impatient.

rckjeep
01-15-2011, 12:08 AM
Rifle is at the shop, now just waiting for my 10 to be up. Shouldn't take too long to assemble. I hear the bolt can be tricky to re-install. Anyone have any tips for replacing the bolt handle? Also I saw on the KID site they make a bolt hold open. Does anyone know if it also does the auto bolt release?

click here for bolt hold open (http://coolguyguns.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=63)

rckjeep
01-17-2011, 12:54 AM
Well only one more day till I can pick up my rifle. For the last few days I've been messing around with paracord. After watching a few videos on Youtube I was able to make some survival bracelets. So today I started thinking about how I could make a sling for the 10/22. After some calculating I figured out to make the sling with a Cobra stitch I'd need roughly 40 feet of paracord. I went with a desert sand for the internal color and a coyote brown for the outside, since it was closer to the FDE color of the stock. I used an S-biner for a single point attachment of the sling onto the Tapco sling mount. It seems like it's going to work out good. Here's a couple pics.

http://www.nor-calrcrc.com/albums/album94/abc.sized.jpg
http://www.nor-calrcrc.com/albums/album94/abd.sized.jpg

Overall it's 45.5" long with 44" of painstaking cobra stitching. The biggest problem was dealing with damn near 20' of paracord on each side while I made the pattern. It came out pretty sweet but I think this will be the only one I'll make, my fingers are a bit sore.

rckjeep
01-18-2011, 7:44 PM
picked up my rifle today, here it is at the start. I'm a little disappointed that the tactical model has a chrome plated bolt and a satin black receiver instead of a flat one.
http://www.nor-calrcrc.com/albums/album94/abe.sized.jpg

before I install the tapco stock I figured I'd try it in the painted factory stock. I may try it again using the UTG quad rail and bipod.

http://www.nor-calrcrc.com/albums/album94/abg.sized.jpg

Here it is all buttoned up, made the auto bolt release mod, also used a scotch pad to dull the finish on the receiver and the bolt. looks much better

http://www.nor-calrcrc.com/albums/album94/abj.sized.jpg
http://www.nor-calrcrc.com/albums/album94/abk.sized.jpg
http://www.nor-calrcrc.com/albums/album94/abl.sized.jpg
http://www.nor-calrcrc.com/albums/album94/abm.sized.jpg

RobT2K
01-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Looks good, but with that red dot scope aren't you able to use the straight stock extension instead of the slanted one? On my tapco 10/22s if it has a scope or red dot I need the straight stock extension so I can get a nice high cheek weld. I use the slanted one on the one with tech sites/irons.

Oh and how's the sling working, it looks pretty good too.

rckjeep
01-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Looks good, but with that red dot scope aren't you able to use the straight stock extension instead of the slanted one? On my tapco 10/22s if it has a scope or red dot I need the straight stock extension so I can get a nice high cheek weld. I use the slanted one on the one with tech sites/irons.

Oh and how's the sling working, it looks pretty good too.

You know it seems good with the slanted one, i never even bothered to try the straight one since Nutnfancy recommended the slanted one. I've yet to shoot it, that will tell me for sure.

As far as the sling goes, once I got the gun together with all the weight it was too long so I shortened it by 2.5 inches and it seems perfect. Can't wait to do a run n gun with this thing.

rckjeep
01-22-2011, 6:52 PM
Went to the range today to sight this thing in, unfortunately the rear of the red dot sight was not sitting tight against the rail. So I was shooting about 2.5" high all morning. I got it fixed and hopefully will shoot it again in the am.

Diamondback68
01-22-2011, 8:09 PM
Nice rifle but they are pretty nice stock. I dumped the barrel band, floated the stock barrel and bedded the action. I did add Unkle Mikes sling studs and mounted them with epoxied backing plates, With a 2x10 Weaver I can shoot staples from targets at 25 meters. My wife and grandkids love to shoot it and it will be a great Appleseed rifle. That's what is great about Ruger .22's, you can have it your way,

BTW, I also have Marlin 60 and 795 rifles. The Model 60 is sweet! Beautiful hunting rifles, lots of ammo and good looking as well. Shoots as good as my 10/22.

Asrielja
01-24-2011, 10:51 AM
Looks nice, I have a Ruger 10/22 carbine, and im about to mod mine with the Archangel 10/22 AA556R, planning on free floating the barrel and doing a bi-bod and foregrip, but I have decided if i want to use a scope or red dot.

Any suggestions, What are pro/cons to scope and red dot?

sharxbyte
01-24-2011, 8:53 PM
What I was considering (as far as a banana mag) was cutting it from a block of wood and then dremeling the designs into it, then glueing/bolting the mock/extension/handle to the regular 20 cap mag. This would also make it easier for you to grip/remove the mag. If done correctly you could attach an extension of the mag release through the mock. It would look cool, AND make the mag easier to release, while still staying within the *coughabsurdcough* magazine capacity laws.

thoughts?

sharxbyte
01-24-2011, 9:01 PM
Looks nice, I have a Ruger 10/22 carbine, and im about to mod mine with the Archangel 10/22 AA556R, planning on free floating the barrel and doing a bi-bod and foregrip, but I have decided if i want to use a scope or red dot.

Any suggestions, What are pro/cons to scope and red dot?

A crosshair/telescopic scope is generally used for longer ranged shooting, because it has the ability to offer cues for windage and distance compensation, as well as a more precise reticle.

Red-dot sights (either infra-red laser sights, viewed through an I/R sensitive scope, a red dot projected into the lens of the scope, or a laser engraved dot in the scope that is backlit) are more commonly used for reflex/close(er) quarter shooting, offering slight (if any) magnification boost. Its all based on preference and shooting style. Are you into long range plinking, or run-and-shooting? You can always buy two scopes and swap them out at will.

Asrielja
01-24-2011, 9:42 PM
A crosshair/telescopic scope is generally used for longer ranged shooting, because it has the ability to offer cues for windage and distance compensation, as well as a more precise reticle.

Red-dot sights (either infra-red laser sights, viewed through an I/R sensitive scope, a red dot projected into the lens of the scope, or a laser engraved dot in the scope that is backlit) are more commonly used for reflex/close(er) quarter shooting, offering slight (if any) magnification boost. Its all based on preference and shooting style. Are you into long range plinking, or run-and-shooting? You can always buy two scopes and swap them out at will.

Long Range plinking, i dont know any run and guns here in the Corona area.
Thank you for the info, i was under the impression reflex offered some magnification(im new to the tact/mod scene of guns).

sharxbyte
01-24-2011, 11:47 PM
they can; You can get a scope for almost anything with almost any feature combination imaginable. as a rule though, reflex has to offer very little magnification (essentially just functioning as a "sight", like an iron sight but perhaps easier to use) so that it doesn't limit the field-of-vision(whereas a scope will give you a field-of-vision of 10-20 feet @ 100 yrds)

For your purposes, a scope will do nicely. You might try getting an illuminated scope(I have a barska 3-9x32 red illuminated... originally sold for more than 80, but now you can probably get it for 40-50 new) if I could change one or two things, I would add mil-dots, and maybe make the color green... also, having more adjustable magnification/zoom would be nice(though it has focusing adjustments and windage/elev.)

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?oe=UTF-8&gfns=1&q=ir+laser+scope&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=6541122919224542221&ei=2pA-Te7dBI20sAOTgMHPBQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CEcQ8wIwAw#

^that is something I would really like. (unfortunately no laser; anything that uses an IR laser usually reaches the almost $1000 mark...would be fun though =p)

Asrielja
01-25-2011, 1:24 PM
Looks nice, i think i will be going with scope, My friends and i like taking 3 inch targets, and putting them about 50 feet out, and shooting at them with Iron sights, which most of the time we hit it 10 out of 10 but the grouping and accuracy could be improved on. A scope would really help since the front sight looks like a giant black bowling ball when your trying to aim at a 3 inch target 50 feet away, lol.

rckjeep
01-25-2011, 10:47 PM
out of curiousity whats all this have to do with my thread? Though I will check out that scope.

Asrielja
01-26-2011, 9:59 AM
out of curiousity whats all this have to do with my thread? Though I will check out that scope.

absolutely nothing! Sorry about that, lol. Your gun got me thinking about something i was working on my gun.

Anyways how hard was it to take the 10/22 and transfer everything to the new stock?

b-ran
01-26-2011, 9:24 PM
Here's the parts list of things I've ordered so far

Tactical 10/22
Tapco FDE stock
Magpul CTR buttstock black
Power Customs extended bolt handle
Magpul foregrip black
UTG quadrail
UTG bipod
BSA 30mm Red Dot

Now if my rifle would come in I could start my 10day and get this project rolling.

Hey just wondering where you found a retailer that would ship the tapco stock to CA. I tried to order the Tapco intrafuse and I live in CA and then when it came time for them to ship it they sent me an e-mail saying that they couldnt ship to CA. WTF???

b-ran
01-26-2011, 9:32 PM
Where can I get a tapco intrafuse stock?? Nobody will ship to CA Thats really funny because EVERY gun store I go to in CA including big 5 has a whole row of .22's with pistol grips and flash suppresors on them. I know its legal because rimfires rifles are exempt to all that pistol grip suppresor evil feature BS. Are there any retailers out there that arent completely retarded and actually know the laws in other states or are they all run by a buncha dumb redneck under educated scardy cats??????

rckjeep
01-26-2011, 9:55 PM
absolutely nothing! Sorry about that, lol. Your gun got me thinking about something i was working on my gun.

Anyways how hard was it to take the 10/22 and transfer everything to the new stock?

super easy to do. a flat blade and a phillips and it's done. My only complaint with the stock is that the receiver screw doesn't line up right, though it doesn't cause any problems at all.

RudyN
01-26-2011, 9:55 PM
I ordered and received a Tapco Intrafuse stock last years from either Brownell's or Midway, can't remember which, but here it is.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u74/Rudy43Norvelle/SEMI%20AUTO/SANY0016.jpg

jdogg2000
01-27-2011, 9:56 AM
I'd recommend either of these, both have been lots of fun and very durable.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_fP72_yZL4Yk/SsKtlIsQxTI/AAAAAAAAAY0/xrAGbHKqTWE/s800/DSC_1626.jpg

nation
01-27-2011, 11:17 AM
ive been looking for a setup like youve all posted that will work with a .920 heavy. most are for the stock barrel. its a friggin tack driver and i dont want to loose that.

rckjeep
01-28-2011, 4:06 PM
Hey just wondering where you found a retailer that would ship the tapco stock to CA. I tried to order the Tapco intrafuse and I live in CA and then when it came time for them to ship it they sent me an e-mail saying that they couldnt ship to CA. WTF???

Where can I get a tapco intrafuse stock?? Nobody will ship to CA Thats really funny because EVERY gun store I go to in CA including big 5 has a whole row of .22's with pistol grips and flash suppresors on them. I know its legal because rimfires rifles are exempt to all that pistol grip suppresor evil feature BS. Are there any retailers out there that arent completely retarded and actually know the laws in other states or are they all run by a buncha dumb redneck under educated scardy cats??????

Sorry guys, for some reason I didn't see these 2 posts. I ordered it from Onlyoutdoorgear.com it took 6-10 days to get and the communication wasn't good, but it showed up.

rckjeep
01-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Can someone explain to me why changing the hammer & sear reduces the trigger pull without changing the springs. It really confuses me. I understand that the OEM parts are much softer material and the edges need to be squared off to make it crisper. I just don't get why it reduces the pull. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm also curious about adding a limit screw to the stock trigger. Anyone done it?

rckjeep
01-31-2011, 8:49 PM
Just got some extra factory mags and a tactical rail to mount a different red dot without an adjustable mount. Also picked up a Volquartsen take down screw.

No one can explain why the hammer & sear lessen trigger pull. Please with a cherry on top.

donw
02-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Well only one more day till I can pick up my rifle. For the last few days I've been messing around with paracord. After watching a few videos on Youtube I was able to make some survival bracelets. So today I started thinking about how I could make a sling for the 10/22. After some calculating I figured out to make the sling with a Cobra stitch I'd need roughly 40 feet of paracord. I went with a desert sand for the internal color and a coyote brown for the outside, since it was closer to the FDE color of the stock. I used an S-biner for a single point attachment of the sling onto the Tapco sling mount. It seems like it's going to work out good. Here's a couple pics.

http://www.nor-calrcrc.com/albums/album94/abc.sized.jpg
http://www.nor-calrcrc.com/albums/album94/abd.sized.jpg

Overall it's 45.5" long with 44" of painstaking cobra stitching. The biggest problem was dealing with damn near 20' of paracord on each side while I made the pattern. It came out pretty sweet but I think this will be the only one I'll make, my fingers are a bit sore.

try making a four bundle Flemish twist bow string...:D:D:D...

rckjeep
02-02-2011, 9:19 AM
Not sure what a four bundle flemish twist bow string is, but I'm good thanks.

No one can tell me how the trigger pull works on a 10/22?

-hanko
02-03-2011, 11:33 AM
No one can explain why the hammer & sear lessen trigger pull. Please with a cherry on top.
Go to rimfirecentral.com and read;)

-hanko

pullnshoot25
02-03-2011, 1:18 PM
So you paid a buttload more money for a gun that has a few more cosmetic features? A regular 10/22 with a Butler creek folder would have worked just as well.

rckjeep
02-08-2011, 6:26 PM
So you paid a buttload more money for a gun that has a few more cosmetic features? A regular 10/22 with a Butler creek folder would have worked just as well.

What's your point? I built what I wanted to build and I'm enjoying it.

I'll search on RFC.com thanks.

Oh and I'm having a strange ringing sound when the bolt goes forward. I talked to a guy at Scheel's who said the guide rod may be too short. So I pulled it out and it's 1/8" shorter than stock. I swapped in the factory bolt handle and it still does it. Not sure what it is. Anyone have any advice?

pullnshoot25
02-08-2011, 8:23 PM
No point needed.

As an aside, it is "role model" not "roll model."

rckjeep
02-13-2011, 10:53 PM
well I brought the 10/22 to the range again today. I tried out some different ammo and the Leapers/UTG Tactical 5MOA red dot sight. Though it was spot on out of the box and the dot is visually smaller than the BSA 5MOA sight, the light isn't bright enough our sunny days. Also even bench rested it's accuracy was inconsistant. I'll most likely go back to the BSA for now. I'm interested in a small magnification scope maybe a 1-4x shotgun scope. Any ideas or suggestions one them?

I do have a Barska IR Sniper 4-16x50 scope but it's quite large for this gun.

The Barska Blackhawk spotting scope worked great today. I do wish the tripod was a bit more compact when open. Otherwise great little unit for the money.

rckjeep
03-03-2011, 7:16 PM
where is everybody on this? still contemplating a low power scope anyone have any recommendations?

So I got bored the other day and grabbed my take off syn. stock and decided I'd give her a coat of Desert Tan. Then I thought maybe camo would be cool so I broke out the rattle cans and some heavy paper to make stencils with. Then i disassembled my 10/22 and put this together.
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/190339_1830190485660_1567318027_1889042_5039401_n. jpg
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/189723_1830195365782_1567318027_1889046_5267546_n. jpg
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/184983_1830195525786_1567318027_1889047_7516726_n. jpg

what do you guys think?

I'm thinking about cutting the rail off the UTG quad rail and putting it on with the Tapco stock. I like how it's long and covers some of the barrel. Anyone seen that done before?