PDA

View Full Version : I forgot...FFL question...

50 Freak
07-31-2006, 10:13 AM
Does a gun coming into CA (private party sale) have to come from a FFL? I know it has to go to a FFL, but what about coming into CA?

Guy I bought something from says in NY, they require FFL to FFL sales. It's not in the ATF regs, but mandated by their state.

Thanks.

mblat
07-31-2006, 10:22 AM
I don't know about NY regulation, but a gun can come to california from private party. That is certanly true for instate transfers.
It has to go to FFL, but sender doen't need to hold a licence.

EDIT: many people actually prefer to use FFL to FFL xfer. They rather pay an extra $$ and be double safe. That is probably the case here, but who knows - NY may have laws that even crazyer than ours...

SFV_Dealer
07-31-2006, 11:00 AM
Yes, NY and NJ have state laws that say all guns in/out of the state need to go thru a licensed dealer. Apparently one gun shop owner told me that they have to run the serial numbers thru their state database to ensure it was not reported stolen or used in a crime.
I have had to receive and ship guns thru licensed dealers because of this state law. Other states that are free such as NV, AZ, CO, MT have no barriers.
Just remember to make sure the handgun coming into CA meets the CA DOJ safegun list because it is still not a private party transfer - it is an FFL dealer transfer subject to any amount the dealer wishes to charge for the transfer!

50 Freak
07-31-2006, 11:28 AM
Nope, it's a C&R rifle....Kinda wish it was FTF in CA, that way I wouldn't have to spend 30% of the cost of the rifle for a FFL. But oh well, gotta feed our locals....They're kinda lean now a days.....

EOD Guy
07-31-2006, 12:01 PM
Nope, it's a C&R rifle....Kinda wish it was FTF in CA, that way I wouldn't have to spend 30% of the cost of the rifle for a FFL. But oh well, gotta feed our locals....They're kinda lean now a days.....

I believe that the New York regulations on FFL to FFL shipment only applies to handguns.