PDA

View Full Version : 1911 mis-feed question...

beauregard
12-30-2010, 5:31 PM
I have a Springfield Armory Mils-Spec that will not consistently feed JHP ammo. "Not consistently" as in a 50% failure rate.

Is there a fix for this? Can I have the frame or breech milled to accept something other than FMJ?

Beelzy
12-30-2010, 6:02 PM
Does it mis-feed ALL types of JHP's??

I know mine will choke on the Flying Ashtray CorBon JHP's once in a while. You might try
JHP's with a smaller Hollow Point and longer ogive. If this does not seem to help, have the
barrel feed ramp polished.

jyo
12-30-2010, 6:08 PM
Try some different magazines---maybe Tripp or some other quality brand.

Chief-7700
12-30-2010, 6:21 PM
I have a Springfield Armory Mils-Spec that will not consistently feed JHP ammo. "Not consistently" as in a 50% failure rate.

Is there a fix for this? Can I have the frame or breech milled to accept something other than FMJ?

Send it back to Springfield or have a Gunsmith who knows 1911s open the barrel up. Whatever route you decide to take DO NOT HAVE "the frame or breech milled to accept something other than FMJ". Great way to ruin a 1911.

It is not a mag problem it is an ammo problem since the shape of the bullet is different from the 230 grain FMJ.

1911Luvr
12-30-2010, 6:32 PM
You can have a good 1911 gunsmith do a reliability package on it which should help it feed most anything.

sigsr
12-30-2010, 8:00 PM
Maybe a new recoil spring could help? My SA Mil Spec, had a recoil spring that was much weaker than the Wolff 16lbs spring. HSTs did not feed with the factory recoil spring, but fed fine with the Wolff spring.

beauregard
12-30-2010, 8:11 PM
Excellent feedback guys. Thanks, I appreciate it.

zdragon
12-30-2010, 8:49 PM

i'd call Springfield and see what they say before hiring a gunsmith. Milspec can be tuned to feed JHP.

JRJCP
12-30-2010, 9:30 PM
Reliability Package:
Adjust & polish extractor
Check ejector
Extra power recoil spring & firing pin spring
Polish feed ramp
Polish slide internal ways & tunnels
McCORMICK PowerMag

beauregard
12-31-2010, 10:41 AM
Reliability Package:
Adjust & polish extractor
Check ejector
Extra power recoil spring & firing pin spring
Polish feed ramp
Polish slide internal ways & tunnels
McCORMICK PowerMag

Or sell it and buy a P220R.

modls7
12-31-2010, 11:33 AM
How long have you had it for? How many rounds does it have?

fennecfrank
12-31-2010, 11:39 AM
I had a brand new Schuemann ultimatch barrel installed on a colt officer's. During the "break-in" period, it had a lot of mis-feed with all sort of ammos (FMJ, JHP, etc.). After about 400 rounds, no more mis-feeds.

if yours is brand new, maybe it is going through the break-in.
changing the magazine helps too. my officer's only likes Wilson Combat magazines. it hates the factory colt....

Fishslayer
12-31-2010, 1:37 PM
Try some different magazines---maybe Tripp or some other quality brand.

^^^ This. 7 rd mags are generally more reliable than 8 rd. Heavier spring.

Most 1911 feed issues are due to mags. My RIA, OTOH isn't 100% with JHP with any of four different brands I've tried. May need a trip to Vegas...:(

Colt
01-02-2011, 11:04 PM
Did you buy it new?
If not, did someone work on it?
How many rounds are through it?
Are you using the original factory magazines?
Have you tried a variety of HP ammo types?

All of these questions matter. If any answers are "no" or "I don't know," it would help to try to isolate the issue further before sending to a smith or God forbid, picking up the dremel...

gasol1ne
01-02-2011, 11:10 PM
id try different magazine from a different manufacturer. Try magazines with wadcutter feedlips. I know you are having problems with hallow points and not wadcutters, but its worth a try. Magazines are cheaper than a trip to the gunsmith.

B Strong
01-03-2011, 7:20 AM

Have you tried a JHP with a similar ogive to standard 230 grain ball?

If your pistol won't feed anything but hardball, a simple throat job with a feedramp polish should do the trick, but I'd recommend having a professional do the wrok.

brianinca
01-03-2011, 8:21 AM
My Dad has a Springfield "US GI" which is as close to a 1911A1 as you're going to find. I GAVE him two CMC magazines because he tends to keep bad magazines "for the range only." He mentioned awhile back his pistol wouldn't feed hollow points and he was kind of bent about it. My first question was magazines, my second was ammo. Remington something or other JHP's.

First day of deer season, we stop for lunch and I load a magazine of 230 gr XTP's and a magazine of 230 gr GDHP's, just my own handloads that work well in my 1911's and Glocks. Both 8 rd mags fire, feed and function perfectly in his USGI.

There is a tendency to think "JHP" is generic, but there are a LOT of differences between mfg's. It's been my practice to run 500 rds of carry ammo through any pistol I put on my permit, that weeds out problematic ammo as well as problematic guns. 500 rds out of a 380 is WORK, believe me, but that helped me decide to carry FMJ if I have to carry a 380. Likewise, I KNOW GDHP's work in my 45's.

Don't call the pistol "bad" when it's an ammo issue. Spending $$$ on a gunsmith's expertise is certainly something to consider, but not because you've got a "broken" pistol.

Regards,
Brian in CA

rkmagicman
01-03-2011, 8:36 AM

I have a SA 9151XL Loaded (See Avitar), I noticed there are horizontal grooves on feed ramp when I experienced FTF.

I polished feed ramp to a mirror finish, now no more FTF with any brand ammo & I typically use Fiocchi.

RK

Sunday
01-03-2011, 3:17 PM
Send it back to Springfield or have a Gunsmith who knows 1911s open the barrel up. Whatever route you decide to take DO NOT HAVE "the frame or breech milled to accept something other than FMJ". Great way to ruin a 1911.

It is not a mag problem it is an ammo problem since the shape of the bullet is different from the 230 grain FMJ.

I would have to agree!!!

CSACANNONEER
01-03-2011, 3:40 PM

It could very well be a mag problem. I had 5000 180gr LSWCs that fed through every mag I owned except for a Wilson Combat mag. It took me a long time to figure out that it could be a mag problem. BTW, why would you think that it could not be a mag problem just because of bullet profile? I really don't get it.

Chief-7700
01-03-2011, 4:01 PM
The OP said that he was having a problem with JHP's. Quite a few 1911 do not like JHP,LSWC and Rainier 230 grain RN plated bullets. The information in post number four was
from my experience.

doubledgarage
01-03-2011, 4:03 PM
You can have a good 1911 gunsmith do a reliability package on it which should help it feed most anything.

http://www.doubledgarage.com/?p=5086

I went to Jim Hoag and got mine done. No more FTEs. Only FTF is by questionable ammo.

homemade
01-03-2011, 9:11 PM
getting the feed ramp polished helps a lot with feed problems and good quality magazines.