PDA

View Full Version : Grip & Handling Observation w/ .38 & .357

D.M.C.
12-30-2010, 5:18 PM
I recently made an observation while practicing switching back and forth between .38 special and then .357 with my revolver. It seems counter-intuitive, but I found that I was steadier and more accurate with the .357 ammo (158 grain range reloads) than I was with the .38 special loads (125 grain range reloads). Checking my results I had noticed that while I was getting dead-on with the .357 I was dropping low and to the right while shooting with the .38 rounds. I repeated this for about five targets worth, shooting about 24 rounds of each. I was wondering if this was something commonplace that others have experienced too, or if I was overcompensating for the .357 with the .38 loads. Checking against a common mistakes chart, if I was shooting low and to the right, it would indicate too much thumb and/or tightening the grip too much, if I read it right. Anyone have thoughts as to why I might be having more difficulty with the .38 as opposed to what I thought would be the harder to control .357?

meaty-btz
12-30-2010, 5:35 PM
You are gripping over-tight from anticpation of firing the .357? Possibly.

ojisan
12-30-2010, 5:59 PM
The 125 G .38 load will strike lower than a 158 g .357 load.
The .38 load may also shoot to a different point of impact side to side.

If you are comfident your grip etc was consistent and the shots you are comparing were "good" ones, then it may be only the difference in the ammo itself.

This is where adjustable sights are an advantage to re-adjust the zero for a particlular load.
Fixed sight guns usually have only a couple bullet weight and velocity combinations that will shoot to the same point of impact.

BigDogatPlay
12-30-2010, 6:07 PM
Fire both loads off a bench or some solid rest to be sure but the two loads are going to have somewhat different points of impact because of the variation in velocity and bullet weight.

As above, if you are shooting the .38 after the .357, you may be anticipating a bit and pushing the shots low right on top of the variation above..

D.M.C.
12-30-2010, 7:47 PM
Thanks for the help, didn't realize that POI would be so different between ammo types.