View Full Version : How to disassemble CMMG .22 Sierra Bolt Assembly?

12-30-2010, 2:43 PM
Hey there, I am sure my gun doesn't need it, but I like cleaning thuroughly once in a while. How do I get this bolt assembly apart?

Droppin Deuces
12-30-2010, 3:11 PM
It comes apart very easily. Just spread the front end(where it clamps around the chamber collar) until you can rotate the collar out. Hold onto it tight, because the spring tension will make it want to explode. I clean mine everytime I shoot it. I think they actually suggest you do that for best results.

12-30-2010, 3:28 PM
I was wondering if I had to spread those steel rails. Hopefully a lifetime of doing so won't damage them.

Droppin Deuces
12-30-2010, 3:35 PM
You don't have to spread them very far. Just enough to rotate the collar out. No damage is done whatsoever.

12-30-2010, 3:48 PM
Sweet, I already cleaned her up, but will keep this in mind for the next routine. Thank you for the information.

12-30-2010, 6:56 PM
Actually it's recommended not to take them apart.
I'm not saying it can't be done but you must be very careful not to get the rails out of spec. That causes more feed problems than anything else.
CMMG actually has a go/no go guage built into the chamber adapters as an option
I usually pull the bolt back, spray with bake cleaner. Scrub a little with a tooth brush. The chamber adapter should be buzzed with a bronze bore brush chucked in a drill until warm. This gets the lead build up out and makes the chamber adapter super smooth.