PDA

View Full Version : Where do you oil a custom 1022?

kAnJii
12-30-2010, 2:21 PM
I bought a Volquartsen 1022 from Hawktech over 10 years ago, and been sitting nicely in the safe. Planning to take it out finally and add a scope and shoot the thing. Since its been in a safe for so long unfired, it probably needs some oil. Where are the points that needs to be oiled? Any kind of oil work? Remington oil ok?

surfNshoot
12-30-2010, 2:52 PM
honestly I just spray a LITTLE rem oil on the top the of bolt, slap it in and good to go. sometimes a put a couple drops in the trigger group as well but not to often.

nrakid88
12-30-2010, 3:06 PM
wow, ten years? Thats neglect man...

nrakid88
12-30-2010, 3:07 PM
Also you should clean the bore and rails, then oil the rails before shooting.

Mail Clerk
12-30-2010, 3:37 PM
Also you should clean the bore and rails, then oil the rails before shooting.

nrakid88,

Noooooo please don't clean the bore unless you use a fishing line and patch deal. Pull throughs aren't even warrantied as far as the instructions indicated off/from my Voltquartsen.

Before anyone proced with the bore cleaning I highly suggest you look at their website and find out. I believe the instructions indicate the bores highly polished and any type of cleaning rod will destroy the warranty.

Mail Clerk

GMG
12-30-2010, 4:06 PM
nrakid88,

Noooooo please don't clean the bore unless you use a fishing line and patch deal. Pull throughs aren't even warrantied as far as the instructions indicated off/from my Voltquartsen.

Before anyone proced with the bore cleaning I highly suggest you look at their website and find out. I believe the instructions indicate the bores highly polished and any type of cleaning rod will destroy the warranty.

Mail Clerk

How about the Otis System, With plastic covered cable ?

kAnJii
12-30-2010, 9:19 PM
nrakid88,

Mail Clerk

Thanks for teh heads up mail clerk. I was going to use a boresnake.

pl408
12-31-2010, 6:19 AM
Thanks for teh heads up mail clerk. I was going to use a boresnake.

I use a boresnake but I plucked out the wire

kAnJii
12-31-2010, 12:34 PM
I still have a boresnake for .17hmr. Can it be used on the .22lr? If so, I will pluck the wires out too.

Tythagoras
12-31-2010, 1:56 PM
Rem oil will work. I found that Slip2000 EWL is an excellent lubricant for weapons. It doesn't attract dirt quite a readily as other oils, particularly if it's kept thin. Lube the bolt and the little guide rod on the charging handle. If you are mechanically apt, take apart the trigger group and lube the hammer pin. Keep the lube away from the sear-hammer junction if you can.

Volquartsen's web page says that a pull-through is recommended, but whatever you use, it should be breach to muzzle, so don't push a cleaning rod in the muzzle end (it can damage the crown if done inexpertly, and sometimes, even then).

A bore snake is fine to use as long as the rearmost (thick) section is longer than the barrel and the bristles are removed, otherwise the leader can break away from the thick part, and then your barrel is ruined, because you can't pull it out because the bristles won't let it change direction, and you can't push it out because of the way the fibers pack in the barrel. Bad situation.