PDA

View Full Version : Walther P1

pingpong
12-30-2010, 2:53 PM
Ok, so apparently these just made into the C&R list. I know that doesn't really do much good for us Californians, except this is now roster exempt.

My question is whether all of these are roster exempt, or only the ones manufactured at least 50 years ago (since Cali has that rule of even-if-it's-on-the-list-if-it-isn't-50-or-older-it's-not-a-c&r)?

God I wish in Arizona or something....

cmichini
12-30-2010, 3:23 PM
Were they just added specifically to the list?

If so, I'm totally bummed. I was in AZ before Christmas and at a gun show (I have C&R) a guy had a rack of P1's (at least 6) for sale for $275!! I had my license and a pile of money but it they were not >50 and I didn't know they were on the list!

Sob, sniffle.

pingpong
12-30-2010, 3:25 PM
Were they just added specifically to the list?

If so, I'm totally bummed. I was in AZ before Christmas and at a gun show (I have C&R) a guy had a rack of P1's (at least 6) for sale for $275!! I had my license and a pile of money but it they were not >50 and I didn't know they were on the list!

Sob, sniffle.

I got an email from AIM Surplus saying they're now on the list:

"Just In! These beautiful Post-War Walther P1 9mm pistols have recently been added to the Federal Curio & Relics list. (All local & state laws apply)"

SVT-40
12-30-2010, 4:20 PM
Remember in California they must be 50 plus years old to be considered a C&R. The formal C&R list is federal.

beemaze
12-30-2010, 4:41 PM
C&R is C&R is C&R. 50 year old rule applies to Cash & Carry of C&R rifles only in CA. All C&R handguns regardless of age must go though an FFL if purchased within CA. P1's according to AIM Surplus are roster exempt in CA (even though I still think they are on the Roster). I have yet to see an updated list from the ATF. It may be coming soon....

morrcarr67
12-30-2010, 4:41 PM
Remember in California they must be 50 plus years old to be considered a C&R. The formal C&R list is federal.

Where does it say that? This from the DOJ's site (http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/):

Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale

Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement.

beemaze
12-30-2010, 4:44 PM

Where does it say that? This from the DOJ's site (http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/):

Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale

Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement.

Yea, basically SVT-40 is mistaken...

morrcarr67
12-30-2010, 4:45 PM
I got an email from AIM Surplus saying they're now on the list:

"Just In! These beautiful Post-War Walther P1 9mm pistols have recently been added to the Federal Curio & Relics list. (All local & state laws apply)"

They have this on their site too. I could not find anything on the BATF website though. :chris:

morrcarr67
12-30-2010, 5:42 PM
Yea, basically SVT-40 is mistaken...

That's what I thought. :)

SVT-40
12-30-2010, 9:18 PM

Color me wrong on my prior post here is the penal code.

12072. PC

To much to post but the exception allowing is enumerated below.

(3) Where a person who is licensed as a collector pursuant to
Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United
States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto, whose
licensed premises are within this state, acquires a handgun that is a
curio or relic, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code
of Federal Regulations, outside of this state, takes actual
possession of that firearm outside of this state pursuant to the
provisions of subsection (j) of Section 923 of Title 18 of the United
States Code, as amended by Public Law 104-208, and transports that
firearm into this state, within five days of that licensed collector
transporting that firearm into this state, he or she shall report to
the department in a format prescribed by the department his or her
acquisition of that firearm.

C&R is C&R is C&R. 50 year old rule applies to Cash & Carry of C&R rifles only in CA. All C&R handguns regardless of age must go though an FFL if purchased within CA. P1's according to AIM Surplus are roster exempt in CA (even though I still think they are on the Roster). I have yet to see an updated list from the ATF. It may be coming soon....

Yup, as above. Mea Culpa.

I too hope the BATFE up dates their C&R list. It's woefully lacking.

RaceDay
12-30-2010, 9:48 PM
Ok, so apparently these just made into the C&R list. I know that doesn't really do much good for us Californians, except this is now roster exempt.

My question is whether all of these are roster exempt, or only the ones manufactured at least 50 years ago (since Cali has that rule of even-if-it's-on-the-list-if-it-isn't-50-or-older-it's-not-a-c&r)?

God I wish in Arizona or something....

All of them are roster exempt because of the C&R. Finding a 50-year old one would be difficult. Most that I have seen (not a lot just what was at Turners a few years back) have been from the 70's. They are pretty nice guns although the ejection can be straight up or even to the left. P1 is a gun that people complain about more than average that they get hit on the head with ejected brass.

smle-man
12-31-2010, 8:46 PM
I found the recoil to be unpleasant out of the one I owned but the guy I sold it to loves it.