PDA

View Full Version : Scouting tips?!? Bear/Deer

AndrewMendez
12-29-2010, 7:30 PM
Well this obsession with the need to go hunting is getting worse. So I figured I should go scouting tomorrow up Hwy 39, with my Orange on of course.. just to get a feel for things.. So, what should I be looking for?
Tracks? Poop? Water? Certain types of plants and shrubs?
Are rubber boots and gloves required for just scouting? Especially this far in advance, or is that only necessary when actually hunting?
Should I stay between a certain altitude?
Am I missing anything?!?

PatriotnMore
12-29-2010, 7:48 PM
Showing up and putting in the time is 95% of it.

So to answer you: yes, yes, yes, and there is such plentyful plant life due to our mild winters, that would be the least of my concerns hunting here.There is no gear other than comfortable clothes, dress in layers, have a back pack with food and water, a compass and maps, and above all a good pair of binoculars, 8-10 power.

Altitude is hard to say, it depends on the hunting pressure they have been getting. If it's really cold, they want to come down and feed at night, and head up before light for bedding. You can find them on the sun facing slopes early in the am.

Water holes are a plus for sign and size, look for games trails and follow them, take your time, it's not a race. Stop and glass often, elevation helps you to glass larger areas.

drs2714
12-29-2010, 8:01 PM
Since both seasons are over and they both start around the same time scout for both.Water,acorns and manzanita's is where I would start.Once you find that then start looking for tracks and scat.I would go in looking for both and see which one you find 1st.
Snow will drive them down the mountain so do some homework.The smell of people keeps them away so you will have to go deep.Any other info PM me.I haven't done D11 yet but I plan on it for next year.GL

taperxz
12-29-2010, 8:52 PM
Don't bother this time of year for deer. What the deer do and eat this time of year is 180 degrees off from what they will do in deer season. Besides the bucks have already shed their antlers by now. End of spring is a good time to start but even then the deer do different things and eat different than when buck season starts. In the spring there is still plenty of water and when buck season starts the water is scarce. Thats another reason that what you see now won't be there latter.

AndrewMendez
12-29-2010, 9:18 PM
Ah!! Binoculars, how did I miss that! Can I Unloaded Conceal Carry up there without my hunting license? Or will they look at that as I may be trying to hunt? Good advice.

Taper...so going this early is useless?

taperxz
12-29-2010, 9:28 PM
Ah!! Binoculars, how did I miss that! Can I Unloaded Conceal Carry up there without my hunting license? Or will they look at that as I may be trying to hunt? Good advice.

Taper...so going this early is useless?

Unless you are out for a good time YES. What you see now will be totally different later on. Right now water is everywhere. During the season bucks are tough to find. In November bucks were walking up to my house, bucks were all over the place. Their habits for water, food, and females make them a different species at different times of the year.

There habits change even during the season. Opening weekend, you might get luck as they are not as wary and its not as hot out. Towards the end of the season, nights get cool, acorns are on the ground, females are starting to look attractive!.

Another problem with scouting deer this time of year is predators. You might see alot of deer now (no antlers though) and in 3 months a lion may have moved in and messed up the whole routine. Lots of variables!! By all means go out and enjoy! Just keep in mind the changes that occur through out the year. It might help to read a few books on our deer in this state to help you get insight on their habits.

AndrewMendez
12-29-2010, 9:48 PM
Unless you are out for a good time YES. What you see now will be totally different later on. Right now water is everywhere. During the season bucks are tough to find. In November bucks were walking up to my house, bucks were all over the place. Their habits for water, food, and females make them a different species at different times of the year.

There habits change even during the season. Opening weekend, you might get luck as they are not as wary and its not as hot out. Towards the end of the season, nights get cool, acorns are on the ground, females are starting to look attractive!.

Another problem with scouting deer this time of year is predators. You might see alot of deer now (no antlers though) and in 3 months a lion may have moved in and messed up the whole routine. Lots of variables!! By all means go out and enjoy! Just keep in mind the changes that occur through out the year. It might help to read a few books on our deer in this state to help you get insight on their habits.

Good points. I stopped by Barnes and Noble a few days ago, and nothing caught my eye for deer hunting. I ordered Hunt Big Whitetails, which is the highest rated book on Amazon...still waiting for the tracking number. Are Mtn Lions an issue safety wise?

taperxz
12-29-2010, 9:53 PM
Good points. I stopped by Barnes and Noble a few days ago, and nothing caught my eye for deer hunting. I ordered Hunt Big Whitetails, which is the highest rated book on Amazon...still waiting for the tracking number. Are Mtn Lions an issue safety wise?

They would not stop me from anywhere i wanted to go. Keep your eyes open and expect the unexpected. The beauty of going hunting and being in the outdoors is being able to sharpen your senses so you CAN see, spot or stalk different beings in the wild. I am in the hills 3-4 days a week and my eyes never stop hunting.

AndrewMendez
12-29-2010, 10:03 PM
They would not stop me from anywhere i wanted to go. Keep your eyes open and expect the unexpected. The beauty of going hunting and being in the outdoors is being able to sharpen your senses so you CAN see, spot or stalk different beings in the wild. I am in the hills 3-4 days a week and my eyes never stop hunting.

Nice. Thanks for the advice my friend.

duckman1
12-30-2010, 6:23 AM
Plenty of bucks with antlers in in Modoc County last week.

thejester
12-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Saw these guys yesterday. Sorry crappy cell phone photos.http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/6016/img00424201012281456.jpg
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/136/img00422201012281456.jpg

AndrewMendez
12-30-2010, 10:34 PM
I can see the pics well enough. I ended up not going, too much going on right now. Maybe sometime next week.