PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide on 1911

rscot
12-29-2010, 6:44 PM
I really like Colt's XSE combat elite but as we all know it's not available. So in that catagory what would you consider. I'm looking at Brown, Baer and wilson. I've never owned a high end gun and think I'm ready. I know there are many members more knowledgable and experienced than I, so let me know what you think and please try and include some details

Thanks,
Scot

GW
12-29-2010, 7:06 PM
Valkyrie Arms in Milpitas can bring a Combat Elite in as a single shot pistol
Once it is in your possession, they can legally convert it to a semi-auto 1911 at no extra charge to you
I know cuz they did it for me. :thumbsup:

teIam
12-29-2010, 7:27 PM
Yeah, don't settle. Get what you want.

Their number and hours (although I think they're closed Friday and Saturday this week):

408-957-0600
W-F 5:30pm to 10pm
Sat 10am to 8pm
Sun 10am to 6pm

JanG
12-29-2010, 11:17 PM
get the colt, you won't stop til you get one

cannon
12-30-2010, 6:22 AM
Trust me get the one you really want. You'll be happier for years to come.

DRAB_81
12-30-2010, 6:29 AM
Norse Armory in Woodland can also get you any 1911 you want. According to one of their threads in the commercial sales section, they can single shot most, if not all, 1911's. You will be able to easily convert it back to it's original configuration as soon as you take possession. I agree, get the one you want.

I'm not in the market for a top shelf 1911, but I'm seriously considering a Dan Wesson Valor now that single shot conversions are available for off roster handguns.

B Strong
12-30-2010, 7:21 AM
I'll tell you what I tell everybody when this comes up.

As you go up the scale of high-end 1911's, there's really no quantitive difference in quality between the different manufacturers - Wilson, Baer, Brown, Nighthawk etc. are all in the same class accuracy and reliability wise.

The only real choice is between external features, finish and markings.

The Colt is a fine piece, and reliablity and accuracy wise is right at the level of the custom builders, at a lower price point.

If you have your heart set on a particular piece and can pay the freight (and the guys have given you the straight dope on getting one in legally) go for it!

VegasND
12-30-2010, 7:40 AM
How can you own just one 1911?

Get the one that interests you the most first ... use the single-shot workaround if necessary.

You'll probably want more before long.

gumby
12-30-2010, 9:19 AM
I've owned both a 70 series commander from colt and a kobra carry from brown, the brown is prettier that's all.

ih8ca
12-30-2010, 9:25 AM
Check into the Dan Wesson pm7-45. They run about $1200 nib and are awesome guns.

Legasat
12-30-2010, 10:02 AM
Check into the Dan Wesson pm7-45. They run about $1200 nib and are awesome guns.

Very good advice here... :iagree:

teIam
12-30-2010, 10:31 AM

Just to add to this -

If you do become interested in the PM7, and can't find one, just be patient. DW is making another run of them specifically for CA next year (CBOBs too in case anyone is curious). They're cool like that.

dodge
12-30-2010, 10:35 AM
get a colt & you'll be very pleased
1911s costing twice as much don't perform as well
the wesson pm7 would also be an excellent choice, supposedly better metals are used for their frame & slide. but the expense, you pay for what you get. so i'd still stick w/colt

Argonaut
12-30-2010, 10:51 AM
Anything that is not a Colt is a copy. If you can't get the exact one that you want, buy a base model and upgrade it.( I assume that the exact one that you want is not on the list?) They all start with the same base model anyway. The Colt custom shop might even do it for you.

Corbin Dallas
12-30-2010, 10:54 AM
I really like Colt's XSE combat elite but as we all know it's not available. So in that catagory what would you consider. I'm looking at Brown, Baer and wilson. I've never owned a high end gun and think I'm ready. I know there are many members more knowledgable and experienced than I, so let me know what you think and please try and include some details

Thanks,
Scot

How HIGH end do you want to go?

Unlimited budget? - Smith Professional.

Under $1500 OTD? - Dan Wesson PM7

Then there are a TON of choices between there.

rscot
12-30-2010, 11:23 AM
How can you own just one 1911?

Get the one that interests you the most first ... use the single-shot workaround if necessary.

You'll probably want more before long.

I allready have 3, two smiths and an old auto ordinance, and it looks like with the work around I might get two more!

jjchan1
12-30-2010, 11:23 AM

Springfield Professional?

Get what you want, you'll be happy regardless of whether it be a wilson combat or a colt. I happily own a colt and a springfield and i like them both the same in different ways.

rscot
12-30-2010, 11:27 AM
How HIGH end do you want to go?

Under $1500 OTD? - Dan Wesson PM7

Then there are a TON of choices between there.

budget is about 2800 but I don't need to spend that much. I was just thinking if I couldn't get a gold cup or the xse I wanted I might go higher. I have the smith w/crimson trace that I bought last year and really like it but always wanted a colt! Now it looks like I can get both! Thanks to all for the information. Thats what I love about cg, everyone is willing to help.

Argonaut
12-30-2010, 11:36 AM
One of my boys has an early Gold Cup that was tuned by Bob Chow. Every time we take it to the range people want to buy it offering the 4-5000 range. King in so cal used to do wonderful M1911 work too. I would buy a COLT and find the best 1911 smith these days and have it tuned. I don't know who that would be right now but the right guy will ad to the value as well as utility of the gun. For the money you have available, it will be under budget and exactly what you want.

VegasND
12-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Then you might appreciate looking at a couple of (poor) pictures of my latest Colt acquisition.
I allready have 3, two smiths and an old auto ordinance, and it looks like with the work around I might get two more!
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc105/ndslvn/1209101544a.jpg
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc105/ndslvn/1209101544.jpg
I've only been able to shoot it once. Ammo is a little hard to find but I'll order a case. I also ordered a 9mm barrel from Midway and the cheaper ammo should make it much easier to shoot.

I'm definitely going to speed up the process of returning to reloading as well.

BTW -- this makes 5 1911s for me

tacticalcity
12-30-2010, 12:23 PM
I just started the DROS on a Kimber Custom II. This is going to be a long 10 days!

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh183/tacticalcity/pix966863091.jpg

jakuda
12-30-2010, 12:49 PM

Thanks,
Scot

It also depends what you plan to do with the gun. If you really want the best accuracy and reliability, with looks being secondary: With a budget of around $2500, your best bet (IMHO as I've learned recently by experience) is to buy a cheap 1911 (basic Springfield GI, RIA, or even a Kimber Custom II Target), then send the gun to a REPUTABLE gunsmith to furnish and fit/install high quality replacement parts for almost everything: Kart barrel, bushing, slidestop, thumb safety, mainspring housing (if plastic), extractor, ejector, sear, hammer, and disconnector.

To save a few bucks, you can probably buy the parts yourself online and send them along with the gun for the smith to install, the only thing is you better buy the right parts and the right brand.

Downside is that this process can take time...anywhere from 2 to 12 months in the gunsmith's hands. I think it's worth it though. Check the 1911forums.com for recommended smiths.

dodge
12-30-2010, 1:12 PM
totally agree w/jakuda ^^ on the upside seesm, here on calguns, & avid racer, is a smith & can assist. possibly reducing wait time to get your prize pistol back
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=23115

idunno, maybe pm him first to find out

otherwise, you'll just devalue your colt slide; from brass occasionally hitting it after round is fired & other mishaps that happen from heavy use.

i'd still choose a colt though, guess i'm just spoiled. my buddies 'gold cup' is amazing & why i went w/colt when making my purchase. he's done nothing to it but use it. ie. no upgrading & extremely accurate.

also, see what the true sales people @ most retail shops will also agree. you can spend a lot more money, but still merely a copy of brownings' designed colt made by another manufacturer.

my 10mm delta elite will be w/me the rest of my life :cool: sends a round down range everytime i pull the trigger. which feels about 4lbs or less after break in
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm45/LebelPhoto/111209coltdeltaelite10017.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm45/LebelPhoto/111209coltdeltaelite10019.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm45/LebelPhoto/111209coltdeltaelite10040.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm45/LebelPhoto/111209coltdeltaelite10023.jpg

pistol has around 1k rounds through it w/very few misfires; which i'd blame on the ammo used