PDA

View Full Version : where to hunt

Grof
12-29-2010, 6:20 PM
Hi guys,
I have weird question about hunting in CA or elsewhere. If I want to go hunt wild boar, where I can go is all land in CA private, or can I go on county or state land. I want to feel like real free in nature I don't want to go to guided private ranches this is not hunting for me is killing farmed animals. I have looked on BLM but they have small properties, can I go to mountains or somewhere else where I can go to hunt. I am very confused about this CA is huge place and I can't believe that almost everything is private.
thanks can someone clarify this where is possible to hunt ,please.
Grof

Hunt
12-29-2010, 9:40 PM
National Forest and BLM lands are usually open for hunting, *Parks* are off limits. Get some BLM maps and NF maps call the local rangers and ask if the areas are open for hunting or any other restrictions. This is very, very important because there is no Andy of Mayberry in CA that will give you a warning if you make an honest error and hunt or possess a firearm in the wrong location. The information is there but as you mention, CA is a big and a complex State, speak with local rangers and game wardens. As far as being successful hunting on public lands you need to spend time scouting, get a tripod and some good binoculars good luck.

wjc
12-29-2010, 11:57 PM
What Hunt stated is absolutely true. You may want to start here to get a better idea what options you have.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov

lewdogg21
12-30-2010, 6:12 AM
Good info above. There are thousands of acres in the sierra's up highway 80, 50, 88 which are all accessible from the bay area where you can hunt.

Abesnake
12-30-2010, 10:16 AM
Good info above. There are thousands of acres in the sierra's up highway 80, 50, 88 which are all accessible from the bay area where you can hunt.

That is great advice; and from Hunt, too. What I've learned and my definition of Scouting is to include talking to locals. It can be vital. I went up near Bakersfield one time and talked to a ranger. I went to a little town near where he said there were pigs on National Forrest land and checked out the information with a couple of locals. From one of them I was introduced to a local hunter. Pay dirt! He practically drew me a map over my cellphone. Especially for pigs there is a growing problem in California farm areas. If your cordial, and don't show up holding a gun, farmers are often agreeable to letting you hunt on their land, too. Pigs too want the easy life and rut up crops. They are and easy target for pigs, of course. So, I think talking to people and verifying info on an area with reliable sources is my first step before hoofing and looking for ground signs and wasting time.