PDA

View Full Version : P226 thin trigger replacement

Luieburger
12-29-2010, 4:34 PM
Update 1/4/2011: I met Noliwan on Sunday and picked up his spare standard P226 trigger. I went ahead and switched out the triggers myself since it is very easy. I definitely like the thicker trigger. I compared both triggers by firing single-action and double-action on a snap cap. For me it feels like a lighter single-action trigger pull since I don't need to bring my finger back as far even though the weight of the pull itself hasn't changed at all. The double-action pull felt easier as well, but not any lighter.

Noliwan and I compared hands and they are about the same size really. He prefers the thin trigger and I prefer the thick (standard) one. I guess that just goes to show that there is no real way to tell which trigger you will like better without testing both triggers for yourself side by side.

I'm very happy with my Sig now. Thank you Noliwan! And thank you to everybody who provided me with the resources to make the change.

Original post:

I recently bought a P226-BTFO that happened to come with a thin trigger that was installed at the factory. I'm not talking about the SRT (Short reset trigger), that is something completely different.

You can see the comparison below.

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp53394%3Enu%3D32:3%3E692%3E6%3C8%3EWS NRCG%3D3237%3C5:;:7433nu0mrj

Originally I bought the thing figuring that the thin trigger wouldn't make a difference, but after comparing it to a friend's P226, I can tell that it really doesn't work well for me. It feels like I need to pull the trigger back much further, which makes my hand strain more. The pull on the standard trigger just works better with my size of hands.

Does anybody have experience changing triggers on a P226? Is it something that a regular consumer like me could do with just some basic tools? Any suggestions on where I could pick up a stock P226 trigger for cheap?

Any other suggestions?

trapshot68
12-29-2010, 5:05 PM
Top Gun Supply has a full disassembly video.

I used the following youtube clip though

S3K45jriTRE

Watch it and see if you're willing to do it yourself.

Basically, fieldstrip, decock, rotate take down lever, remove locking block, unscrew right side grip, take off spring, push through trigger pin, jimmy trigger/trigger bar out of frame. etc.

Bullwinkle
12-29-2010, 5:05 PM
Yeah, I hate the Short Trigger, too. Try Top Gun Supply (http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-standard-trigger_p226_p228_p229-black.html) for a standard trigger. They'll nail you with shipping, though ($9.95 flat rate or something like that), so either buy a lot of stuff to make it worthwhile or find another vendor (MidwayUSA or Brownell's, perhaps).

Yes, it is easy to swap triggers if you know what you're doing (isn't anything easy if you know what you're doing?). ;) You can probably find a YouTube video, but I personally would recommend you pick up the AGI Armorer's Course DVD for Sig auto pistols. That's how I learned about my Sig, starting with absolutely zero knowledge about anything related to internals and now I can disassemble/reassemble in my sleep. Definitely one of the better, if not the best, of the AGI DVD's, IMHO.

Good luck.

GKO
12-30-2010, 2:01 AM
OP, what you describe has been my experience as well. The "short" trigger as it's called (I think your description of "thin" is more accurate and less-likely to get confused with the "SRT" only feels good to me on the P220. All the other models I didn't care for it. I'm okay with the regular trigger on the P220 too but prefer the "thin" one maybe a little more.

Changing the trigger is easy. Drop mag, lock slide back, check chamber by hand and by sight to make sure gun is empty. Turn take down lever down clockwise and carefully take slide off frame. Then take the take down lever and turn it counter clockwise in a circle while moving it from right to left from the frame.

That allows you to take it out the lever out. Decock the pistol. Lift the locking block and take down lever spring up and forward. Push out the trigger pivot pin right to left. Take off right grip frame and carefully remove the trigger bar spring. Lift the trigger bar and trigger out of the frame. Change the trigger to the new one.

You just do the reverse to put it back together. One thing to note is the trigger pivot pin will have a notch in it on one end that will be seen from the left side. You want that notch horizontal. There are 2 grooves that run perpendicular on that pin and those are the grooves for the locking block.

When that pin in inserted, you want the notch horizontal but those grooves to be facing down but angled upwards. Also, you don't need to force anything. Anything that feels like it needs to be unnecessarily forced to move is probably not in the right position to move. Also, make a note of where the trigger bar spring is attached. The video that trapshot68 is good though don't know if there's one showing how to put it back together?

noliwan
12-30-2010, 2:32 AM
I have an extra standard trigger for the P226 SIG--I'm in San Jose--and very familiar with the trigger replacement--I changed mine to the thinner trigger which is better for me...If you want-- I'll sell you mine and install it for you...not that hard to do... let me know...??

GUNFREAK
12-30-2010, 3:47 AM
Sorry the short trigger didn't work out for you. I replaced my standard trigger with it and love it. I bought mine at Top Gun Supply too. I followed this disassembly video on youtube to figure out how to do it. It was pretty easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt5jRxUHGgk

The take down lever spring and locking insert may be a little tricky puting back in but just keep working it in there it"ll line up and slide back in.

Luieburger
12-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Thank you all for the great advice. I feel pretty confident that I could make the change myself.

Noliwan, how much do you want for your spare standard trigger? I'll send you a PM to work out the details.

Thanks again!

Luieburger
01-04-2011, 2:18 PM
Updated my original post at the top.

gatdammit
01-04-2011, 3:31 PM
I don't know which one I like yet since I haven't had much range time with it. I have two Sigs p229 and a p228. The p229 has the short trigger and I can tell you that it's not just a thinner flatter trigger, but the SA trigger reset feels longer on the 'thicker' trigger. You can definitely feel the difference, I'd say it's almost half the distance to reset (although, the distance is pretty small)-- well it is for me, anyway.