PDA

View Full Version : Shooting with the Wrong Hand

M. D. Van Norman
12-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Inigo Montoya and the Man in Black duel atop the Cliffs of Insanity …

INIGO MONTOYA: I admit it. You are better than I am.

MAN IN BLACK: Then why are you smiling?

INIGO MONTOYA: Because I know something you don't know.

MAN IN BLACK: And what is that?

INIGO MONTOYA: I am not left-handed.

SIG-Sauer pistols have always felt better in my left hand, though I am right-handed. Therefore, I had given some thought to focusing on left-handed shooting with these guns. I put this idea to the test recently …

http://dancinggiant.com/images/firearms/p220target-20101218-05.jpg

The resulting group was by no means my best, but it wasn’t too bad for defensive ranges either. I emptied three magazines fairly rapidly into a 4.75-inch circle at 25 feet. That should improve with practice. :cool:

sigfan91
12-29-2010, 11:21 AM
"I, also, am not left handed."

And the weird thing is Sigs do feel better in my left hand.

puropuro
12-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Practice with your non-dominant hand is a recommended drill for self defense.
Go with it!

I find that the direction of recoil feels funny the first few times, since I always expect it to go in the opposite direction as my other hand....which it doesn't :P

M. D. Van Norman
12-29-2010, 11:33 AM
And the weird thing is Sigs do feel better in my left hand.

The relief cut for the decocker gives your trigger finger more reach. :D

bobfried
12-29-2010, 11:38 AM
There is no "wrong" hand.

Everyone should practice with both hands, one and two handed using eyes both open and closed on either side.

Vanilla Gorilla
12-29-2010, 12:50 PM

Everyone should practice with both hands, one and two handed using eyes both open and closed on either side.

+1:2guns:

sigfan91
12-29-2010, 1:27 PM
The relief cut for the decocker gives your trigger finger more reach. :D

Actually my fingers are long enough that I don't want any more reach. Short trigger is actually bad for me.

Rusty_Buckhorn
12-29-2010, 1:32 PM

I agree. I'm not much into pistols, but I can shoot skeet from either shoulder :cool:

21SF
12-29-2010, 2:09 PM
I tend to shoot skeet from the middle :taz:

Vanilla Gorilla
12-29-2010, 2:20 PM
I tend to shoot skeet from the middle :taz:

:rofl2:

sfguyhere
12-29-2010, 2:39 PM
:punk:

Right on!!! Nice shooting. I always shoot a couple mags with my left hand each and everytime I go to the range . . . U never know if you'll need it.

Be cool!

Mickey D
12-29-2010, 3:29 PM
No such thing as a wrong hand. Might be a weak hand though.

morrcarr67
12-29-2010, 3:40 PM

It's the only way to do it. God forbid you ever need to use a weapon in self defense and you can't use your strong side hand and you need to use your off side hand what would you do?

You need to practice not only shooting but loading magazines/cylinders, working the slide/opening the cylinder, etc. If you ever expect your gun to save your life you must be able to work it with both hands.

JanG
12-29-2010, 6:38 PM
i try to shoot with both hands everytime i'm at the range

and i just had to check out this thread when i saw the princess bride quote :rofl:

MarioS
12-29-2010, 8:48 PM
I wouldn't say "wrong hand" so much as "support hand" or "weak hand." But nice shooting with your weak hand. It's something I think we all need to focus more on working on in case we're ever in the situation where our strong hand gets disabled and we have to make a shot with our weak hand.

M. D. Van Norman
12-30-2010, 10:05 AM
The “wrong hand” business was just a friendly little dig at left-handers. :p

Nevertheless, my mediocre left-handed groups are still better than most of what I see at the range, which is what inspired the Princess Bride quote. I practice with my off hand every time that I go shooting but usually only for a single magazine.

MarioS
12-30-2010, 6:08 PM
The “wrong hand” business was just a friendly little dig at left-handers. :p

Nevertheless, my mediocre left-handed groups are still better than most of what I see at the range, which is what inspired the Princess Bride quote. I practice with my off hand every time that I go shooting but usually only for a single magazine.

Wow, I'm slow. I hear that "wrong hand" stuff get yelled to my left-handed-shooting friends all the time and I didn't even think of it.

clayfeet
01-04-2011, 5:12 PM
While practicing with both hands might seem like a good idea, it is an issue that is subsidiary in importance to more important factors. What I mean by subsidiary is that other factors should trump the decision to practice regularly with your non-dominant hand. These other factors are more important, and higher up on a decision tree matrix.

For example, when and if you decide to wear a vest you should ask yourself a series of questions that can eventually lead you to the conclusion of regular practice with your non-dominant hand. The issue of whether you have a vest and what type of vest you are wearing is important. If you have front plates and no side plates, or any real sort of side protection in your rig, then you should square your shoulders off to the target. If you do have the side protection you should blade your body to the target and this is where the issue of non-dominant sight picture comes up.

So, some other factors that would affect your decision process might be: Dominant leg and sureness of footing; Hip, and/or shoulder subluxation; The use of two pistols simultaneously for rapid semiautomatic or fully automatic firing; The use of sighting computers on one, or both pistols.

Can anyone come up with other factors that would affect a decision to practice with the non-dominant hand?

otteray
01-04-2011, 5:34 PM
From behind a protective barrier, or so as to not expose the greater part of ones body.

M. D. Van Norman
01-05-2011, 6:54 AM
The issue of whether you have a vest and what type of vest you are wearing is important. If you have front plates and no side plates, or any real sort of side protection in your rig, then you should square your shoulders off to the target.…

So, some other factors that would affect your decision process might be: Dominant leg and sureness of footing; Hip, and/or shoulder subluxation; The use of two pistols simultaneously for rapid semiautomatic or fully automatic firing; The use of sighting computers on one, or both pistols.

I’m not an operator from the future, so I don’t worry about armor, and I rely on my on-board M1A5 ocular system for aiming. :whistling:

858casper858
01-05-2011, 7:36 AM
"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father... Prepare to die."

great movie!

NSR500
01-05-2011, 7:50 AM
One should always try to attain a level of proficiency shooting with their non-dominant side, two handed, and one handed.

Fishslayer
01-05-2011, 12:31 PM
I'm going to guess it's a concentration thing. With your weak hand you would tend to really bear down & concentrate on proper execution.

bobfried
01-05-2011, 8:45 PM
While practicing with both hands might seem like a good idea, it is an issue that is subsidiary in importance to more important factors. What I mean by subsidiary is that other factors should trump the decision to practice regularly with your non-dominant hand. These other factors are more important, and higher up on a decision tree matrix.

For example, when and if you decide to wear a vest you should ask yourself a series of questions that can eventually lead you to the conclusion of regular practice with your non-dominant hand. The issue of whether you have a vest and what type of vest you are wearing is important. If you have front plates and no side plates, or any real sort of side protection in your rig, then you should square your shoulders off to the target. If you do have the side protection you should blade your body to the target and this is where the issue of non-dominant sight picture comes up.

Can anyone come up with other factors that would affect a decision to practice with the non-dominant hand?

Everything that is mentioned in that post is SECONDARY to good practice with a firearm. Nothing about any of the above would stop anyone from practicing, they in fact dictates that because there are so many variables you need to train for all of them.

There is NOTHING that would affect a decision to practice on your non dominant hand except a purely physical one. As in if you don't have another hand or only have one eye. Or no hands at all, in which case shoot with your feet:

tlMz2sCDCA4

Practice for any and all eventuality. Military and law enforcement teaches and practices that mantra.

M. D. Van Norman
07-24-2011, 6:55 PM
I’m still no Inigo Montoya nor as hardcore as the guy who shoots with his feet, but I had a strange experience at the range yesterday. I was trying to work out some 1911-style extraction problems, but for whatever reason I was all over the paper. Then I switched to my left hand …

http://dancinggiant.com/images/firearms/m1927-83800-20110724-58.jpg

… and shot my only somewhat decent group for the day. :shrug:

morrcarr67
07-24-2011, 7:50 PM
Have you checked your eyes? You might be left eye dominant. I am and the Army made me qualify left-hand even though I'm right-handed.

I do find myself shooting better left-hand now that my vision is getting worse.

Fishslayer
07-24-2011, 8:02 PM
I shoot all my guns better with my weak hand. And no, I'm not left eye dominant.

...except shooting a revovler dA...

locosway
07-24-2011, 11:24 PM
Sounds like a lot of people are having grip issues.

zfields
07-24-2011, 11:32 PM
More reminder I need to practice left handed. I cant shoot my XD for crap lefty, havent shot my CZ lefty.

But I have done some transitions with my AK at least!

Z_SprizL
07-24-2011, 11:42 PM
Sounds like a lot of people are having grip issues.

That's what I was thinking. ;)

fullrearview
07-24-2011, 11:53 PM
I find that I have a much smoother trigger pull with my right hand... You guys might think this is funny, but I know its true... Its from the million plus trigger pulls I've done playing 1st person shooters. When I can (and when I play them now, which is super rare), I change the trigger to the left hand.

M. D. Van Norman
07-25-2011, 8:30 AM
Have you checked your eyes? You might be left eye dominant.

Nope. I’m most definitely right eye dominant, and I have to sight with my right eye when shooting lefty. I was just having a bad day. :o

Untamed1972
07-25-2011, 9:12 AM
Glad to see I'm not the only guy who quotes "The Princess Bride". I was recently given some crap by someone for doing so. They obviously did not appreciate the classicness of the film.

But as a Sicilian....my favorite quote from the movie is "Never go up against a Sicilian when death is on the line!" :cool:

(I also actually am left-handed and in my right mind...LOL)

brassburnz
07-25-2011, 9:36 AM
I'm right-handed but left-eye dominant, so I shoot with my left hand. I always like the stages in action pistol competitions that require shooting with the weak-hand because I don't really have one.

Left hand or right hand, my speed is about the same....and I still miss! :D

M. D. Van Norman
07-25-2011, 9:44 AM
I can miss very, very fast. :wacko:

missiondude
07-25-2011, 9:50 AM
It's the only way to do it. God forbid you ever need to use a weapon in self defense and you can't use your strong side hand and you need to use your off side hand what would you do?

You need to practice not only shooting but loading magazines/cylinders, working the slide/opening the cylinder, etc. If you ever expect your gun to save your life you must be able to work it with both hands.

Agree with all of the above, but add in weak side only malfunction clearances. The double feed is a real treat weak side only:D

doubleactiononly
07-25-2011, 12:49 PM
I'm right-handed but left-eye dominant, so I shoot with my left hand. I always like the stages in action pistol competitions that require shooting with the weak-hand because I don't really have one.

Left hand or right hand, my speed is about the same....and I still miss! :D

haha yeah, me too. But it makes buying holsters and gear a pain.. no one stocks left-handed stuff! I've been thinking about shooting right handed for this reason alone.

but regarding the OP, I notice a lot of people shoot more accurately than they expect with their weak hand simply because they haven't developed any bad habits with it .. yet

MrExel17
07-25-2011, 3:35 PM

:iagree::iagree:

Ninja45
07-26-2011, 9:49 AM
I shoot better with the wrong hand, especially if it is in the hand of my son who is a combat firearms instructor. LOL, couldn't resist....

Fishslayer
07-26-2011, 11:27 AM
But as a Sicilian....my favorite quote from the movie is "Never go up against a Sicilian when death is on the line!" :cool:

There's also a Sicilian 8th step in recovery.

"Made a list of all people who had harmed us and made them disappear." :D

wjc
07-26-2011, 1:29 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only guy who quotes "The Princess Bride". I was recently given some crap by someone for doing so. They obviously did not appreciate the classicness of the film.

Inconceivable!

(I'm also a Sicilian) :cool:

spddrcr
07-26-2011, 1:37 PM

I think it would depend on what type of shooting you regularly do. in USPSA or IDPA the ability to be able to shoot with your weak hand could mean winning or losing a match, and it often comes down to that.

morrcarr67
07-26-2011, 2:13 PM
Agree with all of the above, but add in weak side only malfunction clearances. The double feed is a real treat weak side only:D

I hadn't thought about that. From now on any FTF, FTE or any other will be fixed using my off hand. Good advise. Thank you.

socal425
07-26-2011, 3:04 PM
Originally Posted by Untamed1972

But as a Sicilian....my favorite quote from the movie is "Never go up against a Sicilian when death is on the line!"

Inconceivable!

(I'm also a Sicilian) :cool:

LOL! You guys beat me to it!