PDA

View Full Version : Why Leupold scopes?

resident-shooter
12-29-2010, 12:01 PM
Heys there,

I have been reading through some older threads regarding building 1022s and I noticed that many people had Leupold scopes. So I am curious what makes those scopes worth so much money? Why mount such scope on a .22? Why not go with a cheaper alternative like Barska Plinker series?

PS: Yes, I did search....

Thanks !

Tythagoras
12-29-2010, 1:22 PM
Clear, bright optics are for any rifle. The scope doesn't necessarily help you aim, it helps you see. If you can't see it, you can't hit it. If you spend some time behind some low-end glass, and then do the same with high-end optics, you will realize that shooting is much more fun when you can see clearly.

I suffered through cheap optics for years. I don't consider paying triple the cost of the rifle on optics to be a waste at all. Once you pay for it, it's yours forever.

Repeatable adjustments are a very nice plus.

reagan8
12-29-2010, 1:40 PM
I think it all depends on how you're planning to use the gun and which Leupolds you are considering.

If you're just shooting paper at 50 yards, then a low-budget Simmons is more than adequate; use the money you save to buy ammunition and/or a better trigger/barrel/whatever.

If you're shooting at longer ranges with varying light conditions, then spending more on a Leupold may be worth it. I would look at their rimfire models.

Rusty_Buckhorn
12-29-2010, 2:07 PM
So I am curious what makes those scopes worth so much money?
If you compare high end scopes, you'll find that Leupolds pricing is quite a bit lower than some of the others. Leupold also has many "levels" to chose from, not to mention, one of the best warranties in the game.

I also like to support that "Made in the USA" sticker.

Droppin Deuces
12-29-2010, 2:54 PM
I wondered the exact same thing about high-end brands in general.

Then I bought a Leupold.

Kilenger
12-29-2010, 3:42 PM
If you're going to spend any amount of time looking down range then Leupold is absolutely worth it. Cheaper glass will cause more eye strain over extended use. If your eye's aren't perfect 20-20 then it's worth it. Major improvement in clarity of high end scopes can really help those of use with poor eyes. If you plan on doing any varmit hunting then it's worth it. The clarity of the image is significantly better than lower end scopes making it easier to pick out ground squirrels that are perfectly camoflaged in high grass. Obviously we all have our own budgets to work in, but at this point I won't buy anything less than a Leupold.

Purdey
12-29-2010, 4:09 PM
Price is relative as is product quality. While Leupold is typically more expensive and better than say Bushnell or Simmons, the same could be said about Swarovski, Leica or Zeiss compared to Leupold.

On the other hand a high price is not always indicative of high quality/performance nor is a low price indicative of low quality. You don't always get what you pay for. Best to shop around and compare in person if at all possible.

ZX-10R
12-29-2010, 4:20 PM
Price is relative as is product quality. While Leupold is typically more expensive and better than say Bushnell or Simmons, the same could be said about Swarovski, Leica or Zeiss compared to Leupold.

On the other hand a high price is not always indicative of high quality/performance nor is a low price indicative of low quality. You don't always get what you pay for. Best to shop around and compare in person if at all possible.

Winner...Some Leupolds do not stack up against lesser priced scopes.

Carsgunsandchics
12-29-2010, 4:51 PM
If your just playing with it it's not worth the extra $$ in my opinion. I have a mil-dot BSA on my 10-22 and I am quite happy with it. I purchased one on the bit of overpowered side but I like to shoot from 25yds to 150, and the mil-dots help with hold over/under. Leupold makes a real nice clear bright scope sight but it has to be balanced out in cost for use. I have a Leupold on my M1A and wouldn't even think about putting it on my 10-22 unless it was for strict competition.

toby
12-29-2010, 5:06 PM
I have scopes ranging from an old Burris up through top end Kahles and the Leupolds from VXII on up to VX3 and the upper MK4's or on par with at least the middle class Zeiss, Meopta,VortexVipers, Nikons...I just purchased a FX3 6x it runs $400 so this $$ could have gotten me any of the others but this scope fills the need I had for this rifle.

pennys dad
12-29-2010, 5:12 PM
Actually I challenge your "Why Leupold" and offer instead, "Why not Redfield"!
Redfield is made by Leupold which allows Leupold to offer the same quality for a reduced price without compromising the Leupold name.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/gun-product-reviews/14885-redfield-scope-review.html

resident-shooter
12-29-2010, 7:40 PM
Thanks pipl! U r a real help :)

jyo
12-29-2010, 9:43 PM
Ya know, I prefer quality over quantity---this means fewer but better firearms---this also goes for scopes---I have just a few scoped rifles, but they all have Leupold on them---this is not to say other brands are bad, but I come from an era when there were some truly awful optics available and Leupold has never failed me. I found that when hunting moose in Alaska, our guide first looked over my rifle and said "Oh good, Leupold, nothing to worry about there!" That says it all.

j1133s
12-29-2010, 9:58 PM
Heys there,

I have been reading through some older threads regarding building 1022s and I noticed that many people had Leupold scopes. So I am curious what makes those scopes worth so much money? Why mount such scope on a .22? Why not go with a cheaper alternative like Barska Plinker series?

Thanks !

What you want is a quality scope, not necessary a leupold branded scope.

IMHO, Barska anything will highly likely not make you happy.

j1133s
12-29-2010, 10:05 PM
I have scopes ranging from an old Burris up through top end Kahles and the Leupolds from VXII on up to VX3 and the upper MK4's or on par with at least the middle class Zeiss, Meopta,VortexVipers, Nikons...I just purchased a FX3 6x it runs $400 so this $$ could have gotten me any of the others but this scope fills the need I had for this rifle.

Can you get a Zeiss or Meopta for $400?

I've found that $500 is the sweet spot for scopes where you are getting good quality at a great price (i.e. further increases in price nets very small quality improvements) and it is easy to get good scopes at this price. At $400, there's only 1 scope that is very good value Weaver Grandslam series.

Droppin Deuces
12-29-2010, 10:23 PM
What you want is a quality scope, not necessary a leupold branded scope.

IMHO, Barska anything will highly likely not make you happy.

Barska actually have a gem or two in their lineup. Their 1-4x(or 1.5-4.5x) variants are very nice for the price. Those are the only two I've had experience with, but they were both quite nice for $80 and $100 scopes respectively.

Southpaw45
12-29-2010, 11:01 PM
Let me think about this. Leupold... An established business in the U.S.A who hires Americans. Designs and manufactures quality optics in America and offers one of the best warranties of any company world wide. Supporters of the Constitutions Second Amendment!!! WHAT WAS THE QUESTION?:leaving:

pro-nra
12-29-2010, 11:13 PM
I also supports all "made in USA" product. I choose Leupold and US Optics for my rifle glass.

Thefeeder
12-29-2010, 11:16 PM
Clear
Lifetime warrenty
Held same zero for years

Payed $200.00 for it 20 years ago and its still worth 200.00

So I've been using it for free for 20 years ( - value of dollor)

resident-shooter
12-29-2010, 11:44 PM
:popcorn: Interesting.

toby
12-30-2010, 7:10 AM
Can you get a Zeiss or Meopta for $400?

I've found that $500 is the sweet spot for scopes where you are getting good quality at a great price (i.e. further increases in price nets very small quality improvements) and it is easy to get good scopes at this price. At $400, there's only 1 scope that is very good value Weaver Grandslam series.

Most definitely!!! and only paid $500 for a Kahles CL look on the sample lists @ SWFA and also @ Bear Basin? and they are not used all new used for pics and or displays.

brassburnz
12-30-2010, 7:46 AM
Redfield is made by Leupold which allows Leupold to offer the same quality for a reduced price without compromising the Leupold name.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/gun-product-reviews/14885-redfield-scope-review.html

Thanks for the link. I've got a couple of AR style .22's I need glass for. I've been switching out a couple of scopes in LaRue mounts and they've actually held zero on different rifles, but I know I just got lucky.

I've got a Leupold Rifleman (step below a VX-I) from another Calgunner at a great price, but it's made in China. The Redfield looks like a viable alternative. I also don't mind buying used Leupolds because of their great warranty.

donw
12-30-2010, 8:06 AM
you generally "get what you pay for".

I've got three Leupold's and they're with me "for duration"

it's difficult for me to rationalize paying in the four figures for a scope (mostly because of financial restraints) but there are some really nice ones around in the lower three figure range that i have that are more than adequate to meet my needs.

any good quality scope should be a lifetime investment...oddly, i have a couple of Bushnell scopes i purchased more than 25 years ago that are still up and running just fine and i can still send them back to the factory for 'warranty' work if need be. for what i paid (at the time of purchase) I'd say i got a "good deal".

Argonaut
12-30-2010, 12:25 PM
Leupold's are not as expensive as they used to be. the actual price on them has been fairly consistent while other brands have become more expensive. I remember when you could buy 4 Tasco's for the cost of one Leupold (not anymore) . My Brother's new 3500.00 Nightforce is no better than my 800.00 Leupold. I do love my German scopes but they are really overpriced as compared to Leupold. We sighted in my wife's Husqvarna 308 last night after installing a 2-7 Leupold that we bought used for 150.00 She shot Quarter (the coin) size groups at 100 yards. Not bad for a rifle that weighs 6 1/2 lbs, is 40 years old with a second hand scope.

hybridatsun350
12-30-2010, 12:35 PM
There is no doubt that Leupold scopes are excellent, well-made optics. However, when you're buying a scope for a $200 rimfire rifle that's not going to be shooting past 100 yards, a lot of the advantages of buying a Leupold fail to come into play. I've got a Mueller APV on my 10-22 and it's an excellent scope for that rifle! I've also got a $1000 Leupold on my 700 LTR so it's all about what you need the glass to do!

resident-shooter
12-30-2010, 12:52 PM
The idea of paying $400 for $200 rifle is exactly what got me wondering lol

Argonaut
12-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Last time I was in Wal-Mart, I saw Leupold 2-7 and 3-9 scopes for the 250.00 range. Pretty tough to beat that price.

resident-shooter
12-30-2010, 4:38 PM
^ HUH?!?!?! Which wally was that? All I see is some Tasco and Bushnell POS scopes around here :(

Argonaut
12-30-2010, 4:44 PM
Actually, I have seen them in several stores, American Canyon, Anderson, Martinez,

Southpaw45
12-30-2010, 11:00 PM
The Leupold scopes that are sold at Walmart are most likely there Rifleman series of scopes that are sold by Leupold. They are there bottom basment brand but are still made in U.S.A and are decent quality for the money.

DirtNapKing
12-30-2010, 11:56 PM
You do get people that overkill a .22 with an M4. However I am going to preach to the choir! I have had nothing less than $400 Leupold scopes on my 10-22s and center fire rifles. If something goes wrong inside that Leupold they fix it for lifetime as long as there is no evidence of external damage that may have contributed to the demise of the scope. You don't even have to be the original owner of the scope. Send it in no problem. I even found a used Leupold on Ebay that I had to have. Scope arrived and appeared to be new! I even called Leupold and asked if the lifetime warranty stands when the product changes owners hands and they said "YES". I have never had this happen to me but I have heard that 10-22s are notorious for breaking budget scopes. They are worth the extra bucks and I have yet to have one fail or provide bad results.

hybridatsun350
01-03-2011, 7:05 PM
If something goes wrong inside that Leupold they fix it for lifetime as long as there is no evidence of external damage that may have contributed to the demise of the scope.

I love Leupolds, as I said earlier in this thread, but that'd really a moot point. My $100 Mueller offers the same guarantee. The Mueller is certainly no Leupold, but the difference isn't the warranty. :cool2:

Argonaut
01-03-2011, 7:21 PM
I love Leupold's, as I said earlier in this thread, but that'd really a moot point. My $100 Mueller offers the same guarantee. The Mueller is certainly no Leupold, but the difference isn't the warranty. :cool2:

Leupold actually repairs or replaces the scopes. It is easy to "promise" to.....Where do you send your Mueller for repair? Tasco has a "Lifetime" warranty to, good luck in getting one repaired.

SPR18
02-05-2011, 1:00 PM
Heys there,

Thanks !

do you need it "no", is it nice to have " yes ":D, i have it on my cz452....:)

daveinwoodland
02-05-2011, 1:10 PM

That's the next scope I am going to buy when I get my Weatherby Vanguard MOA, I looked at pretty much everything even the real pricey scopes above the Leupolds and I'm sold on the Redfields.

They get amazing reviews as well from everyone in the industry.

VytamenC Tactical
02-11-2011, 2:52 PM
heres my .2

i bought a bsa sweet 22 scope for my ruger. scope is great, clear optics, easy to use and with a great price

AeroEngi
02-11-2011, 4:51 PM
I have a Leupold VX-I rimfire 2-7x28 on my 10/22 and a Leupold Mark IV 6.5-20x50 on my Remington 700P and I absolutely love both! I could not be happier with my choice for optics. The glass is extremely clear and bright, repeatable adjustments and they both hold zero very well. You will not be disappointed if you decide to go with a Leupold.

I recommend you checking out their VX-I and VX-II rimfire models. The VX-I is around $220 and the VX-II is around $400.

Reductio
02-11-2011, 6:55 PM
Because they are at the perfect economic point to line up with the law of diminishing returns. Sure, a nightforce will be better... but is it going to be 5x or 8x better?

hybridatsun350
02-12-2011, 9:01 AM
Leupold actually repairs or replaces the scopes. It is easy to "promise" to.....Where do you send your Mueller for repair? Tasco has a "Lifetime" warranty to, good luck in getting one repaired.

Couldn't tell you. I haven't had any trouble with it.

joefreas
02-12-2011, 9:29 AM
It will save you in the long run. You will only need to spend the money once and you will be very happy with what you got. You could buy a cheap barska then you have a cheap barska-

homerm14
02-12-2011, 10:24 AM

I can vouch for that. I own multiple Leupold scopes and actually broke one. I sent it to Leupold and had it back in a week better than it was before I shipped it at no cost.

BSlacker
02-12-2011, 10:36 AM
Where do you send your Mueller for repair?Why would you doubt Mueller warranty service? Mueller has an address on their web site and a good reputation for service. I sent mine in and got a new one very quickly. :)

maxicon
02-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Why would you doubt Mueller warranty service? Mueller has an address on their web site and a good reputation for service. I sent mine in and got a new one very quickly. :)

I also had a Mueller 4-16x50 Sport Dot scope break - the objective lens started rattling around. I sent it to them and they sent me a new one in 9 days. It cost $23 ($12 handling, $11 insured shipping with delivery verification).

Now, I still have a decent quality Chinese scope that gets pretty dark with very tight eye relief above 10x, but the original was used and cheap, so I'm still ahead, I guess. I'll admit I don't have much confidence in the scope now, and I did spend a good bit of ammo chasing the wandering zero before I found the loose lens.

I also have a half-dozen or more Leupolds, mostly inexpensive VXI and VXII models, some 10-12 years old, all bought used. None have given me any trouble. I have a lot more confidence in them holding zero.

They're also much brighter, with much more forgiving eye relief, and are a much better deal for the money than the Mueller, IMO. I don't have any $500+ scopes, so I can't speak for them.

forgiven
02-13-2011, 3:11 AM
Love em.