PDA

View Full Version : Calling Hogs

bld0121
12-29-2010, 8:00 AM
Hello Everyone,

I'm about to get my hunting license in January for the first time :D and I've been researching hog hunting. I've read from a variety of sources online about the relatively ineffective results from calling hogs with grunts, squeals, and other pig sounds. What I'm curious about, but couldn't find any info about, relates to what I have read that hogs will eat rattlesnakes and anecdotal evidence that a hog will come running to the sound of a rattler rattling. This got me thinking, "Could you use a recording of a rattlesnake, or create your own rattlesnake call, to draw hogs out of deep cover into the open where you've got a clear shot?"

Am I way out of left-field thinking about this? I doubt this would work in the winter when snakes are holed-up for the winter, but could be plausable in the spring as the days start heating up. Has anyone here with experience hunting hogs and/or predators ever heard of, or tried, using a rattlesnake call to take hogs?

thanks in advance for your opinions (and hopefully lack of blasting me for what may be an odd-ball question).

Mstnpete
12-29-2010, 8:14 AM
PM Sent

More natural on hogs.

Howie44
12-29-2010, 8:42 AM
Try this. Helped me get the one below in the attatchment to come onto the property. The ranch owner uses it too, and has been sucessfull as well with it.

http://razorbackoutfitters.com/detail.aspx?ID=57

jabell
12-29-2010, 10:41 AM
I've been trying lately to call hogs & i like that idea. I've always heard they will eat a rattler so why not. If it actually works I doubt they are thinking snakes should not be out this time of year, it's a trap.
check your pm.
Jeff

portegee
12-30-2010, 3:19 PM
I could be wrong but I don't think you can use a electric caller on pigs :shrug:

5shot
12-30-2010, 5:52 PM
I could be wrong but I don't think you can use a electric caller on pigs :shrug:

Yep, can't use electronic callers on game animals.

Shoot-it
12-30-2010, 11:30 PM
You can be calling coyote's and a pig just so happens to pass by ;)

5shot
12-31-2010, 12:14 AM
You can be calling coyote's and a pig just so happens to pass by ;)

Yea, you'd be surprised what will come into a coyote call. Everything from house cats to dairy cows. Somethings hungry, others just curious.

Shoot-it
12-31-2010, 8:24 AM
I really hate when cattle come in and block my squirrel shoot's that is the worse.