PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding on a Jezail musket

mk19
12-29-2010, 4:55 AM
I'm here in Afghanistan and am looking at this jezail musket and thinking about buying it. I did a bunch of research online and found some cool info, and it seems to be the real deal. ofcourse in jezails the stock and barrell are locally and custom made for each one. here is some pics or a link to pics if i can't attach any pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58483253@N00/5299801497/

Noonanda
12-29-2010, 6:57 AM
First off Semper Fi and be safe. From what I have heard any guns that are now able to bring back are almost like Kyber pass variants. in that they were made by some guy with a welding torcha and some inginuity. Definately a wall hanger, not something you would ever want to shoot.

On a different note, who you with and where you at?

mk19
12-29-2010, 7:47 AM
I am pretty sure this not a khyber pass, the reason is that on the top of the barrel there is a Persian/Farsi poem engraved. The Khyber pass area deal with Pashto. So i am thinking it is made mostlikely in Kabul which would mean much better craftmanship, and they were made for war. Either way i'd want it to be a wall hunger.
Well I got out and now am working as a contractor :) working with the army reserves :(

Noonanda
12-29-2010, 7:59 AM
From what I have read, once the Govt policy on bringbacks changed, a cottage industry sprung up in Astan to make "antique rifles" . Any rifle still there after 9 1/2 years of US Bringbacks is 85% likely to be fake. But hey bro, it is what it is, a replica, just dont overpay as like I said it is probably a Repro.
When i mentioned Kyber Pass examples i didnt mean eastern Astan specifically I meant it as an example of Afghan inginuity. And that is found all over the country, not just in Pashtun areas.;)

Jarhead
12-29-2010, 2:18 PM
Pictures of an Afghan "Khyber Pass" Flintlock Rifled Musket
http://www.collectiblefirearms.com/RiflesAntiqueFlintlock.html

" Semper Fi "

pullnshoot25
12-29-2010, 3:04 PM
Get some parts kits!

WhatsTCP
12-29-2010, 6:37 PM
From what I have read, once the Govt policy on bringbacks changed, a cottage industry sprung up in Astan to make "antique rifles" . Any rifle still there after 9 1/2 years of US Bringbacks is 85% likely to be fake. But hey bro, it is what it is, a replica, just dont overpay as like I said it is probably a Repro.
When i mentioned Kyber Pass examples i didnt mean eastern Astan specifically I meant it as an example of Afghan inginuity. And that is found all over the country, not just in Pashtun areas.;)

what ive always wondered is what if you abide by the law and destroy the receiver by cutting it in three pieces....can you still bring back the parts kit? Technically the rifle would be "destroyed" and would be legally viewed as just parts and you'd just be "cleaning up" the pieces ;)

mk19
12-30-2010, 12:20 AM
We are talking about muskets here folks not parts kits. I'm trying to see if anyone who may know more than I about muskets (in this case one's made by Tower) can help me out, or ppoint me to the right direction. Not trying to get parts kits.

pullnshoot25
12-30-2010, 8:18 AM
It was an aside, dude. Chillax.

spur0701
01-02-2011, 3:01 PM
I got back from Kabul earlier this year and although I didn't pick up a Jezail I examined a number......did pick up some Sniders, Martinis, and a P53....plus a Webley-Pryce BP revolver and a number of Kyber knives. Most of the good dealers were down on chicken street by the ministry of justice.....but they will sometimes attend some of the different bazaars at the camps in the area so even if you aren't able to get around it's still possible to get some access. You can still get real items if you deal with a vendor that knows the business and most importantly, knows you have enough knowledge to not get taken. Were I you I would go to some of the boards that specialize in British weapons and get their take on the lock used in that Jezail.....although I'm not an expert there are elements that look good (the barrel and barrel bands) but the butt stock looks more recent, from what I know it should be in two pieces, the stock looks like a recent addition.