PDA

View Full Version : Is the natgeo warden show good for us?

bigboarstopper
12-28-2010, 9:40 PM
Is the nat geo warden show good for us as hunters and fisherman?

Do you think the show helps to protect wildlife, our resourse, highlights wardens jobs and gives them support from hunters, fisherman and the general public?

Do you think the show is bad for hunters and fisherman by showing hunting and fishing in a negative light pulling away support from the general public?

A simple poll to see a percentage.

Shoot-it
12-28-2010, 10:59 PM
If they would act more like wardens then like cops looking for drugs it would be a better show.The last ones with the abalone poacher's was not a bad show.
I would like to see them film a robo deer bust and catch poachers shooting deer out of season.

StraightShooter
12-29-2010, 9:43 PM
If they would act more like wardens then like cops looking for drugs it would be a better show.The last ones with the abalone poacher's was not a bad show.
I would like to see them film a robo deer bust and catch poachers shooting deer out of season.

Now im not all that sure about the regulations regarding abalone but i noticed some things. All of the abalone's that i saw had some sort of tag attached to them as they were pulling them out of the bag. Is it actually illegal for people to posess more than their personal bag limit even if another person lawfully caught them and tagged them? For example with another scenario, if my dad and I were deer hunting and we both shot and tagged a deer but I drove home with both deer in my truck and he drove home separately in another vehicle and I get stopped. Anything illegal? I guess im just not convinced those abalone "poachers" were actually poaching.

Oh, and I personally think the show protrays hunters in a bad light.

wjc
12-29-2010, 11:54 PM
I have issues with the show.

I respect the fact they are few and have a large area to cover and that they have a difficult responsibility.

I don't like how they just show the poachers and tweekers and only have a small blurb at the beginning stating "not everyone is a poacher, etc". Seems unbalanced to me but unfortunately this is not a documentary about the wardens or DFG...it's a reality show meant to bring in viewers using the "pretty, shiny thing" tactic.

I think anti's are going to have a field day with it. IMHO

negolien
12-30-2010, 5:48 AM
They show what they show. That seems to me to be a typical representation of what the daily grind of a DFG Warden is like. Not too bad for a NatGeo show. They are kinda like PBS to me so I take alot of it with a grain of salt attitude. No way to know what the editing did to it ya know?

lewdogg21
12-30-2010, 6:07 AM
For example with another scenario, if my dad and I were deer hunting and we both shot and tagged a deer but I drove home with both deer in my truck and he drove home separately in another vehicle and I get stopped. Anything illegal?

If you have a note from your Dad signed (please verify this before trying anyone as I'm not a lawyer and it's been years since I witnessed one of these) that you are transporting his deer and he signs it or something to that effect it can be done.

Those poachers for the abalone were criminals. Even my wife who doesn't hunt or fish was like "omg!" as it clearly wasn't over the limit by a few but they were raping the resource for profit. I don't know what the actual effect will be on the average public who doesn't really have a strong opinion on hunting. I think as hunters we probably lean too hard on the "everyone who doesn't hunt is probably an anti". I know I do from time to time. Heck I was in the Denver airport Monday and I felt anxious just pulling out my outdoor magazines and then again on the plane in case my seat mate was some crazed PETA member. Instead it was some good looking college girl who was writing a paper on some horrible communications analysis.

As far as the drugs well IMO it's pretty rampant up in the Oroville/North Valley area and meth is a community destroyer so it makes for great TV. Looking back I never thought about it much when I would be out there.

I guess I fall just below "i have no opinion" and above "I cringe a little"

bigboarstopper
01-03-2011, 5:01 PM
bump for more votes

ankyle62
01-03-2011, 5:10 PM
Im not a hunter, but I love this show. Such an awesome job they have. I dont think it paints a bad picture of hunters and fisher, it's not like people that watch Cops judge a whole city by it.

clay32
01-03-2011, 5:22 PM
I'll TIVO it, then vote in the poll, but the promo for the show made it seem very anti-hunting IMHO.