PDA

View Full Version : The 5 Stages of C&R Grieving

OHOD
12-28-2010, 9:32 PM
Ever since I got my C&R license a few weeks ago, I have been perusing websites for rifles and handguns that I want to collect. I have an affinity for military surplus, especially beautiful wood. I lucked out when I bought my first MN 91/30.

Check out the back of my fiddle and my Mosin…

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab207/joanneohod/FiddlesandMosins.jpg

As you can tell, I am a sucker for beautiful furniture.
(Notice the cat's?)
But what the heck does this have to do with the 5-stages of grieving?

Nothing really, I just wanted to show off my rifle. ;)

The 5-stages of Curio and Relic Collector Grieving.

Stage 1: Denial
The California CRuFFLer denies that laws exist to punish the Curio and Relic Collector. Once I realized this, I became…

Stage 2: Anger
Why am I being singled out? What is the minimal difference of a Makarov 10-round v. 12-round magazine! Come on! This is pure idiocy! Think about it, 2 rounds?
There is no way that anyone is going to use an SKS grenade launcher! Besides, where are they going to get the grenades? Come on, really?
But then again, maybe we can make a deal….

Stage 3: Bargaining
Maybe if I can live in Nevada and work in California? I only have to travel 200 miles to get to work. Easy. Right?
Maybe there is a special exception in the Penal Code? Yeah, that’s it! I’m special!
As I review the volumes of Penal Code, I realize that there is no way out. I must be restrained.
I become…

Stage 4: Depression
My collection will never be as good as Billy Bob’s, that lives in the swamps of Florida (I can say that, I am from the swamps of Florida, does that make me a Little Bit? Wrap that around your noggin). My collection is going to be laughable. What’s the point? Who cares? I don’t want to pursue my hobby. I give in.
But then I realize that I can’t give in…

Stage 5: Acceptance
Firearm collecting is more than just owning a gun. Learning about the history, manufacturing processes, the people, the political turmoil and peace during a firearms history is enjoyable to learn. A nice upside is that I can explain the importance of the M91/30 in Russian history, thereby keeping the memory of the M91/30 alive!
I finally accept that there are laws to prevent me from owning a unique piece of history. I will collect within the confines of Kalifornia law.

There you have it.
The 5-stages of C&R Grieving.

Here is the upside!

20 years from now, maybe, all those California legal SKS’s with the grenade launchers removed and a muzzle break welded on to them? Those rifles will become unique collector items!
In fact, here is an example of a future advertisement from a firearm auction website…

“This rare California legal SKS is a perfect addition to any collection. The muzzle break has been tacked on to the rifle, thereby replacing a grenade launcher. When was the last time you saw a “Kalifornia Legal” SKS? This example is in excellent condition.”

Palimino Stripe
12-28-2010, 11:11 PM
Amen. Honestly though- I think I have a MUCH better collection than many people in 'free' states. Yeah- I may not be able to get my hands on some milsurps- but hey- while those people in 'free' states are buying handguns & other 'fun' guns, I'm concentrating on tiger stripped rifles like yours... Speaking of which-

HOLY COW!!!! That's got to be one of the nicest stocked 91/30's I've EVER seen! Very impressive :cool:

-Palimino

P.s. Nice fiddle too :D

DannyInSoCal
12-28-2010, 11:16 PM
Kool

Anchors
12-28-2010, 11:25 PM
Yeah that one is nice. Where did you get it?

OHOD
12-28-2010, 11:52 PM
Yeah that one is nice. Where did you get it?

You won't believe me if I told you.....

Big 5 :eek:

Perfect rifling. It was a closet Queen, at least I think it was.

The story on that rifle is that I made it to Big 5 on the morning after a shipment prior to a big Christmas sale. The manager allowed me to look at 10 different rifles and she was nice enough to go get a couple at a time and I looked through them all, out of each box. After looking at 4 of them, I saw this one. I fell in love. The rifle and I got married and it has been true lover ever since. We have had a loving relationship and good fun for over a year now.

Anchors
12-29-2010, 3:59 AM
Laminated or refinished? I've never seen such tiger striping on the Russian mosins.
Or a rifle in such good shape. From the pic it looks brand new.
I am impressed.

morrcarr67
12-29-2010, 6:32 AM
You can cure what sickens you by getting a second C&R in say Nevada. Have all your handguns; even those with mags larger then 10 rounds, and anything else; rifles with GL's, that people won't ship to the PRK.

It sure worked for me. :cool:

sd_shooter
12-29-2010, 6:46 AM
You can cure what sickens you by getting a second C&R in say Nevada. Have all your handguns; even those with mags larger then 10 rounds, and anything else; rifles with GL's, that people won't ship to the PRK.

It sure worked for me. :cool:

Wha? How can you get a second C&R in NV?

harmoniums
12-29-2010, 7:13 AM
thats a really nice rifle OHOD.

Noonanda
12-29-2010, 7:15 AM
Beautiful wood on both items.

laika
12-29-2010, 7:24 AM
I went through a similar process at Big 5 recently and scored a real beauty, the prettiest so far - I was pretty full of myself till I saw yours!

Really nice m/n and a great post. I guess it describes me to a Tee, even the part about considering Nevada residence part time.

Big 5 is under rated; yeah you may go through a lot of rough stuff, but there are some really nice rifles in there. The manager told me in the last batch of yugo mausers he found a sniper, complete with scope!

Lucky Scott
12-29-2010, 8:40 AM
Nice Mosin!

Dont worry about what you cant get, there is plenty of great stuff to get right here in California. Seems like i always find more stuff to buy than I can afford.

Rem222
12-29-2010, 10:46 AM
What can I say that has not been said.. Simply beautiful.... Congratulations...

Palimino Stripe
12-29-2010, 11:19 AM
The rifle and I got married and it has been true lover ever since. We have had a loving relationship and good fun for over a year now.

Have you two thought about starting a family? :D

The pitter-patter of little M44's & M38's around the house is a beautiful thing ;)

-Palimino

morrcarr67
12-29-2010, 4:00 PM
Wha? How can you get a second C&R in NV?

Read this post (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=343730). It should answer most of your questions. If not feel free to send me a PM.

Jesse

Croweman08
12-29-2010, 4:54 PM
you forgot #6 Get a winchester sucka!!!!!!