View Full Version : Gun safe

12-28-2010, 9:22 PM
Any gun safe better than another? Any problems with the electronic keypads or anything??

12-28-2010, 9:47 PM
Yes some safes are better than others. I don't like electronic because of the electronics.

Guns R Tools
12-28-2010, 10:58 PM
You usually get what you pay for. No way to make quality safe cheaply.

Unless you pick up used safe at great price.

Check out Sturdysafe.com

12-28-2010, 11:24 PM
Love my Fort Knox and electronic key pad. Key pad is fast and reliable! Second Fort Knox and won't have anything else! Which ever safe you decide on, buy the next bigger one, you'll see what I mean!

12-29-2010, 5:22 AM
go big.... I love my amsec bf7250...

12-29-2010, 7:51 AM
Go big. I got a 60x30x24 or something and the damn things near full with 16 rifles/shotguns and a ton of ammo on the other side.

12-29-2010, 8:04 AM
I plan on getting a bigger safe than i need, since I don't plan on my collection getting any smaller :)

I prefer a safe without the electronics. I'm gonna check out cannon, fort Knox, and amsec.

12-29-2010, 10:49 AM
I got a decent enough 8 long rifle locker for 80.00$ cash. It suits my needs for now and then some, by the time I need to get either another or a bigger one I will no doubt be looking for another used safe.

Hot Brass
12-31-2010, 1:33 PM
go big.... I love my amsec bf7250...

How thick is the body steel?

12-31-2010, 5:07 PM
+1 for Sturdy.

Remember, electronics will fail long before mechanical...

(EMP anyone? ;) )

12-31-2010, 5:32 PM
i have no issues with my electronic safe.

12-31-2010, 6:51 PM
Go big and get it fire proofed. They save lifes not only that but save your guns from being on the streets.:79:

01-01-2011, 1:57 AM
I don't like electronic keypads. They are convenient but after having 2 failures in a row and ultimately having to have the safe drilled I went the mechanical. If you do decide to go electronic don't buy anything with a Kabba Mas lock. I know they make good pro locks but the entry level stuff sucks. It's probably best to Google the brand of electronic lock that is on the safe that you decide to buy.

As far as brand...well I have a Cannon and I like it. Generally you pay more the thicker you want those walls (metal thickness not metal thickness plus insulation). Among the brands I was looking at that time were Sun, Cannon and Liberty. My first safe was a Sportsman which I bought in 1994. There weren't as many brands to chose from at the time and I thought they had a decent product . Fast forward to today and I hear horror stories about them so caveat emptor.

Last bit of advice: Like others have said buy bigger than you need unless you plan on buying 2 smaller safes (smaller safes are easier to move so that might be a consideration too as a plus OR minus). Bolt them down.

01-01-2011, 11:11 AM
I have an 20 year old Amsec safe with mechanical lock and have not had any problems with the exception that I am running out of space, which will be rectified soon...I prefer mechanical over electronic...Although I have a Electronic small safe for the bedroom with one or two guns for home defense. It is more for keep it out of kids hands than anything else... Everything else is kept in the large safe. I have a Large Liberty safe (size 50/ 41 gun configuration) on order right now, which was ordered with a mechanical lock...I doubt I will out grow this in the next 20 years but who knows!!!! The person with the most toys wins!

Happy New Year!!

01-05-2011, 1:44 PM
+1 for Sturdy.

Remember, electronics will fail long before mechanical...
(EMP anyone? ;) )

In all the years I've had electronic key pads, the only issues I've had was using the wrong type of 9V Battery. You should have no less than a S&G Key Pad.

i have no issues with my electronic safe.

As noted above.

01-05-2011, 4:04 PM
I don't like electronic because of the electronics.

I agree. Electronics are going to break. It just a matter of time.

01-05-2011, 4:54 PM
I like my Cannon. But loke many will say, I've out grown it. Maybe one day I'll sell it abd buy a bigger one.