PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a soft shooting 9mm CCW weapon for my wife.

k1dude
12-28-2010, 8:10 PM
I need some recommendations from those in the know.

My wife has shot my Kahr PM9 and it hurts the web of her hand (between her index finger and her thumb). She loves my Sig P228, but the P228 isn't very concealable for a woman (tight clothes and small purse).

I want her to have a semi-auto that she looks forward to shooting like my P228, but is more concealable like my Kahr. She also often gets the decocker mixed up with the slide release. So ideally it would be pretty straight forward gun like a Glock or Kahr without extra levers aside from the slide release (no decocker, safety lever, grip safety).

I want at least a 9mm. I don't like the idea of using a .380. I just don't think it's ideal for self defense. Anything bigger than a 9mm might make the web of her hand hurt. She's not afraid of recoil, some guns just make the web hurt.

So I need:

1. Soft shooting 9mm.
2. Compact and concealable.
3. No extra levers/buttons aside from the slide and magazine releases.

I realize I may be looking for something that doesn't exist. But I thought I'd ask here in case someone knows of the perfect solution.

RollingCode3
12-28-2010, 8:12 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/cadetcode3/guns/IMG_1124.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/cadetcode3/guns/IMG_1071.jpg

tba02
12-28-2010, 8:16 PM
Walther P99C has my vote. Not quite as soft as a Sig in my experience, but close, and I am comparing a compact to a full size Sig.

k1dude
12-28-2010, 8:19 PM
Thanks RollingCode3. But my fear with the Glock is it has the same flat thin grip as the Kahr that made her hand hurt. So I'm not sure it would solve the problem. I think the problem might be ergonomics. The P228 grip is a lot more ergonomic than a Kahr, XD, Glock, or Ruger. HK, CZ and Sig have good ergonomics, but they also have decockers. The M&P 9c is ergonomic, but not very small.

DRAB_81
12-28-2010, 8:19 PM
I'll vote for the Glock 26, but have her shoot ALL of these if you can:

Glock 26
Glock 19
Smith & Wesson M&P 9 Compact
Springfield XD9 Sub-Compact
Sig P239

Shenaniguns
12-28-2010, 8:24 PM
You can adjust to the size of a Compact M&P so that gets my vote.

maddoggie13
12-28-2010, 8:28 PM
If you want a soft shooting 9mm, you need to look at one that is made out of all metal. If you can find a Bersa 9mm or just get a Beras 380, it works great with my wifey.

xxsleepyxx
12-28-2010, 8:29 PM
Honestly the M&P9 is probably the most comfy looking grip.

Cyc Wid It
12-28-2010, 8:31 PM
1911 (the safety isn't terribly complicated), or some single stack Sig.

SikDMAX
12-28-2010, 8:32 PM
RollinCode3 nailed it. Glock 26

OutlawDon
12-28-2010, 8:45 PM
Smith and Wesson M&P

Why, because it has interchangeable grips and is comfy, especially for a smaller hands of a women.

I've shot them all (from 1911's to Sig's to XDM to Glock's) and actually own a Glock 19 and Kimber right now, but thinking about selling the G19 to get a M&P. I love both of them but there are shortcomings. The Glock's grip is square and blocky and will not fit a small hand well.

k1dude
12-28-2010, 8:51 PM
I'll vote for the Glock 26, but have her shoot ALL of these if you can:

Glock 26
Glock 19
Smith & Wesson M&P 9 Compact
Springfield XD9 Sub-Compact
Sig P239

Thanks. The problem is finding rentals to try them. Then there's the cost of renting. Yikes.

I'll have to check out the Walther P99C (thanks tba02), Glock 26, S&W M&P 9c.

The Sig P239 and XD9 Sub-Compact are too big and too heavy for easy concealment. The M&P 9c's weight is just OK, but it might be the most ergonomic.

MA2
12-28-2010, 8:54 PM
try some AGrips for the PM9 http://www.brookstactical.com/

or those rubber wraparounds.

k1dude
12-28-2010, 9:09 PM
Smith and Wesson M&P

Why, because it has interchangeable grips and is comfy, especially for a smaller hands of a women.

I've shot them all (from 1911's to Sig's to XDM to Glock's) and actually own a Glock 19 and Kimber right now, but thinking about selling the G19 to get a M&P. I love both of them but there are shortcomings. The Glock's grip is square and blocky and will not fit a small hand well.

My wife's hands aren't small, so that isn't a constraint.

k1dude
12-28-2010, 9:10 PM
try some AGrips for the PM9 http://www.brookstactical.com/

or those rubber wraparounds.

She doesn't have a problem holding on. I think the problem might be muzzle flip since that is the most likely culprit for a sore web. The wraparounds won't help the web I'm afraid.

sprintcar
12-28-2010, 9:12 PM
what about a EMP nice little gun

k1dude
12-28-2010, 9:13 PM
1911 (the safety isn't terribly complicated), or some single stack Sig.

She does like my 1911, but it's WAY too big and heavy. She also likes my P228 better. The P228 is a double stack, so that isn't a problem (other than concealability).

k1dude
12-28-2010, 9:19 PM
what about a EMP nice little gun

I wouldn't mind having an EMP for myself! But I think it's too big and heavy for her CCW. It also has the safety which would mess her up just like a decocker.

FlyboyJS
12-28-2010, 9:20 PM
I second the EMP. Got one on the way for myself and will get another if my wife takes a liking to it

DRAB_81
12-28-2010, 9:36 PM
Thanks. The problem is finding rentals to try them. Then there's the cost of renting. Yikes.

I'll have to check out the Walther P99C (thanks tba02), Glock 26, S&W M&P 9c.

The Sig P239 and XD9 Sub-Compact are too big and too heavy for easy concealment. The M&P 9c's weight is just OK, but it might be the most ergonomic.

I was hoping you knew someone that had one or two of those. Rentals can get expensive, but it will be worth it to get the right gun the first time. There is obviously a sweet spot between weight/concealability & recoil, so she'll have to decide where she wants to compromise. Good luck, and have fun!

den888
12-28-2010, 9:50 PM
Glock 19 or 26 or S&W M&P

Cyc Wid It
12-28-2010, 10:00 PM
They do make lightweight framed compact 1911's and also in different calibers. The safety doesn't decock, dunno, it opens up more options like the EMP too etc. If she prefers the P228, maybe try the P225? Single stack is smaller.

OutlawDon
12-28-2010, 10:01 PM
My wife's hands aren't small, so that isn't a constraint.

Sig P229 then.

k1dude
12-28-2010, 10:04 PM
Sig P229 then.

The 229 is just like the 228 that I have already. Too big and too heavy for her easy concealment. But I personally sure like them!

longarmshortlegs
12-28-2010, 10:19 PM
Or the SIG P239.

Why not give the ladies a little more credit. There is a lot of talk about "all of the buttons, levers, and safety's are confusing [for women]", but how many of us pick up something for the first time and are automatically experts? I'm sure that all of the levers and gadgets can be learned. You don't ride the bike first, and then learn how to ride it afterwards. Sure, the extra gadgets may be confusing at first, but with very little practice they can be learned. She needs to practice enough to become proficient with any gun regardless of the type of firearm or its functions. Give her some credit, buy her something that she likes, and practice with her until she learns its operation. If you can learn to use an iPhone you have to be extra special [ed] to not be able to learn something as simple as a SIG.

NapaCountyShooter
12-28-2010, 10:19 PM
Another vote for the M&P 9c. They're made for women,right? Just did paperwork on the 45c and they are some comfy guns.

Speedpower
12-28-2010, 10:21 PM
SR9c

Foriegn power
12-28-2010, 10:22 PM
My significant other loves the Glock platform, there is no "What does this do, is their a safety, do I need to cock it?" Glock all the way for the ladies.

hollowpoint
12-28-2010, 10:22 PM
1. Glock 26 - I have shot this gun and love it.
2. Smith & Wesson M&P 9c - I own this gun and love it.

k1dude
12-28-2010, 10:25 PM
Or the SIG P239.

Why not give the ladies a little more credit. There is a lot of talk about "all of the buttons, levers, and safety's are confusing [for women]", but how many of us pick up something for the first time and are automatically experts? I'm sure that all of the levers and gadgets can be learned. You don't ride the bike first, and then learn how to ride it afterwards. Sure, the extra gadgets may be confusing at first, but with very little practice they can be learned. She needs to practice enough to become proficient with any gun regardless of the type of firearm or its functions. Give her some credit, buy her something that she likes, and practice with her until she learns its operation. If you can learn to use an iPhone you have to be extra special [ed] to not be able to learn something as simple as a SIG.

She's been shooting my Sig P228 for 20 years and it's her favorite gun. Yet she still forgets to work the decocker and slide release properly. I don't think she's going to remember under pressure when the chips are down. I don't want her to have to think about it when a split second might mean the difference between life and death.

k1dude
12-28-2010, 10:29 PM
1. Glock 26 - I have shot this gun and love it.
2. Smith & Wesson M&P 9c - I own this gun and love it.

I suspect it will come down to these two or the P99C. But I'm afraid the Glock grip might be too similar to my Kahr grip.

The problem with the P99C is the mag release. Most weapons have a button rather than a trigger guard lever. I don't want to have her get confused.

I personally have a M&P 45 in jail for 6 more days. I'll have her try it out and see if it bothers her hand web. If it doesn't, I think I have my answer in the M&P 9C.

k1dude
12-28-2010, 10:30 PM
My significant other loves the Glock platform, there is no "What does this do, is their a safety, do I need to cock it?" Glock all the way for the ladies.

That's what I'm thinking. The M&P with no safety also fits that thinking.

Ron-Solo
12-28-2010, 10:31 PM
M&P 9c

thukidad
12-28-2010, 10:52 PM
My wife had the same problem.. expect she has small hands, limiting the selection avail for her to use.. after a few trial with different handgun.. she opted for the M&P9c.. been shooting ever since..

just go buy it.. if she doesn't like it... tell her the store don't take returns..

pingpong
12-28-2010, 11:02 PM
The G26 and Springfield XD9 SC are quite small, but the tradeoff is that the recoil you feel is a bit more. I'd say it's a bit like firing +P+ out of a fullsize 9mm.

A good medium might something like a M&Pc or maybe a P228/9 if you want something a bit heftier? The steel-framed Sig definitely feels "softer" in the recoil department, but it's more than a bit heavier than the M&Pc. The M&Pc is slightly (by the thinnest of margins) longer and thicker than the G26 and XD SC, but it's very nice. I'm not exactly sure why they call it a compact and not subcompact, because for all intents and purposes it's a subcompact.

As for the marketed subcompacts, the G26 is thicker than the XD9 SC, which makes it more uncomfortable to carry IWB.

My 2 cents.

k1dude
12-28-2010, 11:17 PM
SR9c

I'll have her hold one in the store, but I suspect the grip is too similar to my Kahr, the Glock, and the XD.

XYZ
12-28-2010, 11:18 PM
I would go for a Walther PPS. I was debating between the Kahr and Walther and the PPS just felt more comfortable. It's not on the roster but you can use the single shot exemption to obtain one.

k1dude
12-28-2010, 11:18 PM
My wife had the same problem.. expect she has small hands, limiting the selection avail for her to use.. after a few trial with different handgun.. she opted for the M&P9c.. been shooting ever since..

just go buy it.. if she doesn't like it... tell her the store don't take returns..

I like the way you think! I could wind up with a new 9mm compact for myself!

McCrown
12-28-2010, 11:24 PM
I would say a sig p239 with DAK trigger (no decocking lever) or a Kahr that is metal framed. More mass in the gun will help with the recoil.

tbhracing
12-28-2010, 11:37 PM
OP- Not exactly everything you want, but maybe check out the Sig P239?

http://www.norsearmory.net/images/p239.jpg

moulton
12-28-2010, 11:49 PM
http://cz-usa.com/assets/user-submitted/czbw2smaller_jpg_240x200_upscale_q85.png
http://cz-usa.com/assets/product-images/293/main293_png_637x200_q85.png
Cz p01

RollingCode3
12-29-2010, 6:41 AM
Thanks RollingCode3. But my fear with the Glock is it has the same flat thin grip as the Kahr that made her hand hurt. So I'm not sure it would solve the problem. I think the problem might be ergonomics. The P228 grip is a lot more ergonomic than a Kahr, XD, Glock, or Ruger. HK, CZ and Sig have good ergonomics, but they also have decockers. The M&P 9c is ergonomic, but not very small.

Glock 26 is much easier to shoot than the PM9. I can shoot the G26 all day long without any problem but I will put down the PM9 after a few mags.

luckygunner
12-29-2010, 7:04 AM
Cz p01

That would be my pick. CZ P01
Second choice would be S&W M&P

Rentals get expensive, but you might be able to work out a deal with the shop that they will waive a fee or 2 if you pick up a handgun from them.

The only way to do it though is to take her in and have her handle some firearms. Make a list and then once it's narrowed down a bit. Find where you can rent them. If you want to get really in depth. Shoot a video of her while she is shooting. It should help. Good Luck.

9mmepiphany
12-29-2010, 7:38 AM
She doesn't have a problem holding on. I think the problem might be muzzle flip since that is the most likely culprit for a sore web. The wraparounds won't help the web I'm afraid.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet, but if the muzzle flip is the Kahr PM9 is hurting her hand, just have her try a K9. I have a friend who has a similar problem and the change to the metal frame really helped her...she just too a 400 round class with it and didn't have any hand problems. She carries it in a belly band in the appendix position

Icypu
12-29-2010, 8:48 AM
What about the Steyr S9-A1? Its compact and efficient.

smallshot13
12-29-2010, 8:49 AM
http://cz-usa.com/assets/user-submitted/czbw2smaller_jpg_240x200_upscale_q85.png
Cz p01

Or smaller yet, the CZ Rami alloy. It is 1.3" wide which should spread force on the web better than the thinner Kahr, plus heavier to reduce muzzle flip.

Legasat
12-29-2010, 8:59 AM
I can only tell you this....

When we went looking for my wife (5'5", 115lbs), we rented around 15 different handguns to try out. All different calibers, styles, revolvers, pistols, etc, and she chose the full size M&P 9mm as the easiest to shoot. She still likes it.

One caveat...make sure you let HER decide.

.40Cal
12-29-2010, 9:23 AM
It's amazing how many people get CCW permits so easily....Or do they?

IMHO, shooting for self defense is different than shooting at the range. When she shoots a box or two @ the range, her hand might hurt a little. But a couple of shots for SD won't hurt her hand. I realize she must practice with the same gun, but carry comfort is more important, cuz really....how often would she use our for SD? Probably (hopefully) Never! Its like when I shoot a shotgun, I get a lil sore in the shoulder, but if needed to shoot once or twice at an intruder, I don't think I'd feel the soreness.

Shenaniguns
12-29-2010, 9:53 AM

IMHO, shooting for self defense is different than shooting at the range. When she shoots a box or two @ the range, her hand might hurt a little. But a couple of shots for SD won't hurt her hand. I realize she must practice with the same gun, but carry comfort is more important, cuz really....how often would she use our for SD? Probably (hopefully) Never! Its like when I shoot a shotgun, I get a lil sore in the shoulder, but if needed to shoot once or twice at an intruder, I don't think I'd feel the soreness.

Depending on county, it is rather easy but a tad tedious and lengthy.

M. D. Van Norman
12-29-2010, 10:03 AM
So you want a handgun with low recoil but not one that’s big and heavy. The right kind of ammunition should help mitigate this conundrum. The overpressure stuff that seems so popular with “tactical” shooters will make a light-weight gun very hard to handle.

For what it’s worth, the Glock 26 is very fat, so it will spread out recoil to the shooter’s hand much better than the very thin Kahr PM9, but it does feel like holding a brick.

tbhracing
12-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Check out The Ruger LCR?

Generator
12-29-2010, 10:34 AM
My LEO buddy's wife, also a LEO, carries a S&W 3913 Ladysmith single stack 9mm. 2.5" barrel and easily concealable. (Tight clothes and small purse etc). These aren't made anymore but can be found here and there. Also, its stamped "LADYSMITH" on the slide, so you won't be temped to take it for yourself ...

WokMaster1
12-29-2010, 10:35 AM
Any opposition to having her look at a 'J' frame Smith & Wesson? Seems to me your wife doesn't practice as often as she wants to, so maybe just a simple double action only revolver might be a good candidate.

9mmepiphany
12-29-2010, 10:48 AM
Any opposition to having her look at a 'J' frame Smith & Wesson? Seems to me your wife doesn't practice as often as she wants to, so maybe just a simple double action only revolver might be a good candidate.
While it may be true that this is common, this is a really bad combination.

The S&W J-frame requires the most practice of any of the revolvers and yet is the least comfortable to the hand.

If you are going to look at a revolver to carry, assuming the K-frame is too large, your best bet is the Ruger LCR. Nice feeling grip and much smoother trigger out of the box compared to the last few J-frames I have handled

WokMaster1
12-29-2010, 11:00 AM
While it may be true that this is common, this is a really bad combination.

The S&W J-frame requires the most practice of any of the revolvers and yet is the least comfortable to the hand.

If you are going to look at a revolver to carry, assuming the K-frame is too large, your best bet is the Ruger LCR. Nice feeling grip and much smoother trigger out of the box compared to the last few J-frames I have handled

You know what? You're right about that.:D

Can't buy anything here
12-29-2010, 11:03 AM
That P239 is a nice choice. Since it's for a woman, who might be dropping it in a purse, I would stay away from Glock/M&P style triggers...too easy to accidentally snag on something and go off...a full double action pull is a safer bet.

Shenaniguns
12-29-2010, 11:06 AM
That P239 is a nice choice. Since it's for a woman, who might be dropping it in a purse, I would stay away from Glock/M&P style triggers...too easy to accidentally snag on something and go off...a full double action pull is a safer bet.

That is what holsters are for, just dropping it into a purse is a bad idea period.

Lucky Scott
12-29-2010, 11:40 AM
S&W 3913 Ladysmith single stack 9mm.

My wife carries this gun, and likes to shoot it as well. Not too light, and not to heavy. Gun works great, is a little smaller for a ladies hands and looks nice also.

She tried a lot of different types of guns, including revolvers, and she likes the LadySmith.

00BuckShot
12-29-2010, 11:45 AM
My wife's favorite demi auto is my Sig P230. I think that you can still get the P232 in Kalifornia. I know it's not a 9mm but it's a SWEET shooter. My second thought would be the M&P9C.

sigfan91
12-29-2010, 11:50 AM
Try Sig P225/P6. A surplus P6 can be as low as $300.

Also, it's not a "slide release." It's a "slide catch." It's a bad habit to release the slide by using the slide catch. Use the slingshot method to release the slide and she won't be confused.

If you (and your wife) don't mind the 45, I think Glock 36 is surprising comfortable to shoot. It's slim and slightly smaller than a Sig P225.

RugerFan777
12-29-2010, 12:51 PM
sr9c kicks less than the glock26 due to the lower line barrel and 1911 grip plus the double recoil spring. Having shot both, the sr9c wins since it took what is best from glock and improved it by adding many 911 features.

J.D.Allen
12-29-2010, 1:19 PM

It's not so amazing, geographically more than half of the state, including some of the larger cities like Sacramento, Fresno, Bakersfield, and San Bernardino is virtual shall issue now. Much thanks to our friends here at CGF/CGN of course! :notworthy:

Omil
12-29-2010, 5:53 PM
She's been shooting my Sig P228 for 20 years and it's her favorite gun. Yet she still forgets to work the decocker and slide release properly. I don't think she's going to remember under pressure when the chips are down. I don't want her to have to think about it when a split second might mean the difference between life and death.

I would stay with this P228 & practice more. GL!

eccvets
12-29-2010, 6:01 PM

get a knox spec ops stock if your shoulder is sore when shooting shotguns. it doesnt have to hurt.

socal425
12-29-2010, 6:20 PM
P228 shooter as well along with the wife. She tried the XD9 and found it more ergo to shoot. She now prefers the XD9 over the P228.

pyromensch
12-29-2010, 9:23 PM
why not a 38 revolver, rubber grips, no levers, shrouded hammer, same diameter bullet, (roughly), and small, enough bullets to get away from a situation

MarioS
12-29-2010, 9:41 PM
I thought the Glock 26 was pretty soft shooting. I found the recoil very manageable even with +P defense loads and rapid fire. I have found Springfield XD's to be pretty soft shooting as well. An XD-9 sub-compact might fit the bill.

.40Cal
12-29-2010, 11:52 PM
It's not so amazing, geographically more than half of the state, including some of the larger cities like Sacramento, Fresno, Bakersfield, and San Bernardino is virtual shall issue now. Much thanks to our friends here at CGF/CGN of course! :notworthy:

Is that right? Any info on Alameda county? If not, I'll get an address in Sacramento....will that work better?

9mmepiphany
12-30-2010, 12:13 AM
Sacto is almost automatic...unless you're record isn't pretty clean

DRAB_81
12-30-2010, 6:39 AM
why not a 38 revolver, rubber grips, no levers, shrouded hammer, same diameter bullet, (roughly), and small, enough bullets to get away from a situation

You're not the first in this thread, but it always amazes me when people recommend a snub nose 38 (442/LCR) for a woman that's seeking a light recoiling CCW gun. I'm guessing all you guys that recommended a snubbie for this guy's wife, have never shot one. I had a 442 for couple weeks before I traded it. I'm a pretty big guy, and not recoil sensitive AT ALL, but I would NOT recommend a snubbie for probably 95+% of women (I'm sure there are a few women out there that say they love them). Clearly a 442/LCR is not meant to be a range gun or fun to shoot, but the OP is looking for something that can be a range gun & is atleast tolerable to practice with.

pyromensch
12-30-2010, 9:11 AM
did i say snubbie? he did ask about a ccw weapon, which intended for concealability, and for use in self defense, a situation where fear and adrenaline can make everything go wrong, and the simplist firearm to operate, and function "almost" flawlessly is a well made revolver, with a large enough bore to do the job.
i have a charter arms 44spl bulldog, that i have used, and intend to use, when my ccw is issued. it is simple period.

CALATRAVA
12-30-2010, 9:21 AM
did i say snubbie?

That's what I thought you meant, too.

I've never seen a 3"-4" barrelled .38 with a shrouded hammer...[shrug]

Maybe a sp101 has a shrouded model with a 3" barrel?

I personally think my XD9 is very soft shooting. Mine's a tactical, though, and probably not the best for CCW. Not sure if a Sub-compact model would feel the same, but it's definitely worth a try.

fullrearview
12-30-2010, 9:33 AM
Have her shoot as many compacts as she can....I think the p239 is an excellent choice as though!

DRAB_81
12-30-2010, 11:47 AM
did i say snubbie? he did ask about a ccw weapon, which intended for concealability, and for use in self defense, a situation where fear and adrenaline can make everything go wrong, and the simplist firearm to operate, and function "almost" flawlessly is a well made revolver, with a large enough bore to do the job.
i have a charter arms 44spl bulldog, that i have used, and intend to use, when my ccw is issued. it is simple period.

I have never seen a revolver with a shrouded hammer, that wasn't a snubbie. I'm not saying they don't exist, I'm just saying that I've never seen one, and a Bobbed Hammer isn't the same as a Shrouded Hammer.

I agree that there is no simpler, or arguably more reliable handgun than a revolver. However, that is completely beside the point. If the OP's wife doesn't care for the recoil of a PM9, then a comparably small 38 is out of the question...

Also, other than a slide and magazine, The G26 & M&P9c are practically just as simple to operate as a revolver.

Draw.
Point.
Pull/Press Trigger.
Bang...

Edit: K1dude, sorry for taking your thread off-track.

Squidward
12-30-2010, 12:32 PM
S&W 3913 Ladysmith single stack 9mm.

My wife carries this gun, and likes to shoot it as well. Not too light, and not to heavy. Gun works great, is a little smaller for a ladies hands and looks nice also.

She tried a lot of different types of guns, including revolvers, and she likes the LadySmith.

+1,except any model 39 series not only the LS..

UserM4
12-30-2010, 12:51 PM
The Ruger SR9c is virtually the same size as the Glock 26 but imho, it's much more comfortable to hold and exhibits noticeably less recoil.

tbhracing
12-30-2010, 1:29 PM
Have her shoot as many compacts as she can....I think the p239 is an excellent choice as though!

The funny thing about the Sig P239- pick it up and you will swear it was custom made for your hand.

:chris:

BiggSean
12-30-2010, 1:35 PM
Another vote for the CZ75 P01 here. Excellent ergonomics, soft shooter and more accurate than most shooters.

Danhood
12-30-2010, 2:15 PM
I vote for the Ruger SR9C it is the softest 9mm I have shot & the grip back strap is adjustable. It's narrow with is great for smaller hands.

zdragon
12-30-2010, 2:45 PM
P6 or 38sp J frame S&W...either one will get the job done and quite user friendly.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/6183/p1050991.jpg
By zdagon52 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/zdagon52) at 2010-12-30
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1034/p1050969d.jpg
By zdagon52 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/zdagon52) at 2010-12-23

1911Operator
12-30-2010, 2:57 PM
another vote for the EMP

JimAmentler
12-30-2010, 3:03 PM
Not sure what area you are in, but I would be willing to meet you both at the range and let her shoot what pistols that I have. As someone else stated, let HER choose which weapon she wants. I find that most can handle the Glock 19. The XD and M&P are also good choices.

k1dude
12-30-2010, 10:36 PM
Thanks for everyone's input. The Ruger has a safety lever, so that's out. I think I've narrowed it down to 2 options. The G26 and the M&P9C. I'll have her hold each and let her decide. Then I'll keep my fingers crossed that whatever she chooses doesn't hurt her hand web. If it does, oh well, I guess I'll just have to add a new compact to MY collection. :rolleyes:

Quickdraw Mcgraw
12-31-2010, 12:31 PM
HEY OP seems like your looking for a thin easy recoiling gun and I'd recomend the Kahr CW9...slightly bigger than your pm and so the recoil is not as bad. Add a hogue handall to the package to get that extra grip and comfortable factor...My girlfriend loves mine and she is Reciol shy for sure. Otherwise mabye try a walther pps but, those are big money! G-luck!

bryan1919
12-31-2010, 6:40 PM
Agree with this. The Sig 226 is my wife's favorite gun to shoot. Accurate as hell too. However it is a little big and heavy on the concealment part true. But it does have a safety. Unlike the Glock (my favorite)
JMHO

The 229 is just like the 228 that I have already. Too big and too heavy for her easy concealment. But I personally sure like them!

DPC
12-31-2010, 9:07 PM
I would honestly recommend a CZ P-O1 my friend wife loved it. Accurate to point of aim!!!

zdragon
12-31-2010, 9:54 PM
I would honestly recommend a CZ P-O1 my friend wife loved it. Accurate to point of aim!!!

bingo

cz 75 compact is the best kept secret in 9mm.