PDA

View Full Version : Dodge City Gun Shop Customers FYI and Head's Up!

Hopi
07-28-2006, 4:48 PM
The ATF is visiting gun owners to check for matching serial numbers on firearms purchased at Dodge City in Santa Barbara.:mad: Let this serve as a head's up for those of you who have bought from Rick during the last few years.

I have not been visited yet, but be certain that ALL of the firearms that I bought from Rick are now neatly in one pile to make a "thorough inspection" go very fast and smooth.

There really isn't anything to worry about, but the ATF at my house will always raise the hairs on the back of my neck, so I thought I'd give the warning to fellow calgunners.

On a side note, I thought that records of purchase were destroyed so that the ATF couldn't just show up at your house one day and ask to see your guns? Was I crazy to think that?

DSA_FAL
07-28-2006, 4:59 PM
They must be going through the DROS forms kept at the Dodge City Gun Shop. I think dealers are required to keep them; only the copy sent to .gov is destroyed.

artherd
07-28-2006, 5:09 PM
The 4473s are kept for (edit: 20 years, then they can be destroyed or sent to ATF.) at the dealer's location, and are subject to siezure at anytime. It's not QUITE like a nationwide registration system, but if the PD wants to know who bought what where and when, they will find out, and you will be contacted. Longgun or handgun, it matters not. Handguns are only easier.

PS: I would recommend retaining an attorney to deal wtih ATF as I would with any potential legal advisary. They are not there for tea & crumpets.

xenophobe
07-28-2006, 5:19 PM
4473's and associated paperwork must be kept for 20 years. After that it may be sent in to ATF or destroyed.

socalguns
07-28-2006, 6:24 PM
If you don't like the ATF in your house, why let them in?

Hopi
07-28-2006, 6:58 PM
If you don't like the ATF in your house, why let them in?

Who said anything about letting them in? I said "but the ATF at my house will always raise the hairs on the back of my neck,"...

cvega01
07-29-2006, 9:27 AM
Uh oh, I happened to DROS my OLL there... I built up my rifle to be "compliant" however, do you guys think I should take it apart in case they do show up?

Hopi
07-29-2006, 10:07 AM
Uh oh, I happened to DROS my OLL there... I built up my rifle to be "compliant" however, do you guys think I should take it apart in case they do show up?

What they are looking for isn't OLL related, they are verifying serial numbers with owner/paperwork for all rifles/handguns purchased. Also, if i remember correctly, the ATF isn't in the business of enforcing CA laws, only federal.

Funny though, Rick's OLL sales and the possibility of people being busted for building rifles into "illegal configs" was his concern and the reason he called me to tell me of these ATF visits.

BTW, did you get a MEGA from Rick?

zenthemighty
07-29-2006, 10:16 AM
What they are looking for isn't OLL related, they are verifying serial numbers with owner/paperwork for all rifles/handguns purchased. Also, if i remember correctly, the ATF isn't in the business of enforcing CA laws, only federal.

Nope, you're wrong there. The BATF will inform the CA DOJ or local law enforcement if they see anything that they think is in violation of CA law.

cvega01
07-29-2006, 10:50 AM

Funny though, Rick's OLL sales and the possibility of people being busted for building rifles into "illegal configs" was his concern and the reason he called me to tell me of these ATF visits.

BTW, did you get a MEGA from Rick?

No, I got an LAR-15 transferred in from Cold War Shooters. I think I'll go ahead and strip it just in case... Are they actually checking every single person that bought from him?? Do you shoot up at the WCGC? If so, do you know what the stance is on OLL? I built mine up a while back but have only shot a few rounds through it.

Hopi
07-29-2006, 11:03 AM
Nope, you're wrong there. The BATF will inform the CA DOJ or local law enforcement if they see anything that they think is in violation of CA law.

Good point.

Hopi
07-29-2006, 11:06 AM
No, I got an LAR-15 transferred in from Cold War Shooters. I think I'll go ahead and strip it just in case... Are they actually checking every single person that bought from him?? Do you shoot up at the WCGC? If so, do you know what the stance is on OLL? I built mine up a while back but have only shot a few rounds through it.

I don't know if they're checking every single person or not, I have not yet been visited, but Rick called to inform me that this was happening.

I haven't shot at the WCGC yet, but plan on being up there very soon. I mainly shoot at the "glass factory" down the other direction on camino cielo.

anothergunnut
07-29-2006, 12:23 PM
If I was asked to show any of my firearms to a law enforcement agency, I would ask to see their search warrant. If they did not have one, I would ask them to leave.

Of course, I have a C&R so that would not apply to the ATF wanting to inspect my bound book but it would apply to any firearm that I might possess that is not C&R.

DougH9
07-30-2006, 8:49 AM
Hopi,
As a long time customer of Rick's, how is he doing? Is there anything that the local shooting community can do to help? Has he made any statements about this whole thing?

6172crew
07-30-2006, 8:59 AM
After hearing the story about the vet who got busted for a M1A and a flashider Im going to say Yes the ATF will enforce the DOJ and are one in the same JBT.

MrBubba
07-31-2006, 8:48 AM
Is ATF just showing up at your door?
Has anyone on this forum been visited?
If so, what happened?

kantstudien
07-31-2006, 10:29 PM
ATF website has info for getting your gun back from Dodge City if it was taken apparently:

http://www.atf.treas.gov/press/fy06press/field/072606la_firearmsclaim.htm

artherd
07-31-2006, 10:48 PM
SAIC John A. Torres is a reasonable man.