PDA

View Full Version : Light scratches affect gun?

LovingTheYear1911
12-28-2010, 4:03 PM
I tried Googleing this but didnt find much so I want to ask the experts here at our lovely Calguns.net

The other day I was cleaning the Kel-tec SU16 and I tried sticking a brass cleaner in the barrel. It was really tight and after putting it halfway, it got stuck so I had to pull it back out. I noticed that the barrel had small, light scratch marks at the end where the muzzle is.

My question is, will this affect the gun and accuracy? Or should I not even worry about? I am a bit O.C.D with my stuff so I just want to make sure its not a problem.

Thanks!

Bongos
12-28-2010, 4:08 PM
A pic would help, if there is a ding or a spur, then yes accuracy can be effected, if it's just scratches, I would not worry about it

Crowesnest
12-28-2010, 4:08 PM
Yep, it's finished! I'll buy it from you for $1 scrap metal ;)

straykiller
12-28-2010, 4:51 PM
Yep, it's finished! I'll buy it from you for $1 scrap metal ;)

ill give you $3.50

Chuntsman949
12-28-2010, 5:06 PM
5.50 going once

CHS
12-28-2010, 5:10 PM
You're worried about accuracy on an SU-16? :) hahaha.

rimfire78
12-28-2010, 5:25 PM
Depends how much the buyer wants it. Some won't care.

LovingTheYear1911
12-28-2010, 6:06 PM
Hmm for the ONE person who answered my question, thanks.

And for the rest, ya'll some comedians! :cool:

No seriously though?

And yes I am worried about accuracy on a SU-16. Its actually pretty accurate and consistent.

BigBamBoo
12-28-2010, 6:11 PM

LovingTheYear1911
12-28-2010, 6:15 PM
BigBamBoo,

No the scratch isnt on the crown, just inside the barrel.

Thanks

sevensix2x51
12-28-2010, 6:16 PM
its brass on steel, probably more of a scuff than a scratch, imho. a few rounds downrange should buff it right out. :thumbsup:

if its actually nicked at the crown (where the tip of the bore is beveled) then accuracy can suffer, yes. the gases behind the projectile will escape unevenly, and throw the bullet's flight off a bit. barrels can be re-crowned for a nominal fee, if this is the case.... ^^^ i see your post, so disregard this last bit. :)

pyro3k2
12-28-2010, 6:21 PM
I'll give you $10 even for it.

captbilly
12-28-2010, 6:57 PM
It is hard to know for sure, especially without knowing exactly where and how big the scratches are, but there is no question that it could effect accuracy. Anything that causes any irregularity in the passage of the bullet, or in the flow of gases in or outside of the gun, has the potential to unpredictably effect the bullet. Best way to find out is to shoot the gun in the most stable position possible (rest, bags, whatever) and see if it isn't shooting like it did.

Mail Clerk
12-29-2010, 9:10 AM
I tried Googleing this but didnt find much so I want to ask the experts here at our lovely Calguns.net

The other day I was cleaning the Kel-tec SU16 and I tried sticking a brass cleaner in the barrel. It was really tight and after putting it halfway, it got stuck so I had to pull it back out. I noticed that the barrel had small, light scratch marks at the end where the muzzle is.

My question is, will this affect the gun and accuracy? Or should I not even worry about? I am a bit O.C.D with my stuff so I just want to make sure its not a problem.

Thanks!

BernardKaram,

Most likely it's fine using a brass screen to clean the barrel. I personally don't believe you need it cuz a rifle barrel doesn't need to be that clean. Your gonna wer out the barrel faster that way. Try a 22 patch with some JB Bore compound to clean it.... just a few passes is all that's necessary to clean it first. Then push it allout with a clean dry patch. Then use a little of JB Bore Shine and polish the area where the scratch is. Just use a little and watch the patch come out dirty. The more passes of the patch... the more dirty/black it comes and the polihing action begins.

Mail Clerk