View Full Version : Caviar Blue or Caviar Green?

12-28-2010, 2:38 PM
I'm putting together a new computer (mobo **** the bed) and I'm replacing my hard drive. The two options I'm waffling between are the 1.5TB Caviar Green model by western digital and the 1TB Caviar Blue model by western digital. They're both about $60 which is a good deal for either one. My primary concern is reliability. I have a 1TB hard drive and another 330GB hard drive so I'm not all that concerned about storage capacity and I'm not a hardcore gamer or anything so if it isn't blazing fast that's not a huge concern either. I just know that the green line is more power efficient, not quite as fast and cheaper. I was just wondering if anyone knew if there is any appreciable difference in the models in terms of reliability. Thanks for all the help fellas.

12-28-2010, 3:01 PM
Get yourself a solid state drive. Trust me - you will not find another upgrade for the price that will come close to matching the increased performance.

I'd recommend an OCZ Vertex 2 64gb primary drive for your OS and heavily used programs, and a 500gb WD Caviar Black for storage.

As for Blue vs Green, neither of the two offers much that is worth spending time on. The WD Caviar Black is a more robust and faster drive, and the power savings of it vs. the Green line is negligible. Blue is slower than Black and uses the same power.

12-28-2010, 4:04 PM
Caviar Green usually spin less than 7200RPM. This makes them great for saving energy, but poor for performance. I have one for my primary drive for my OS, and it doesn't make much difference. It's not something I would buy again, but it was cheap for the capacity

Caviar Blue are normal drives and they are great.

I would recommend a Caviar Black. They spin at 7200RPM, have better cache and optimized for faster usage. This would work, or a new SSD. Just my 2 cents FYI.

12-28-2010, 6:04 PM
Caviar Black. faster. and double the warranty.
worth it.

12-29-2010, 8:15 AM
Caviar Black :thumbsup:

12-29-2010, 11:59 AM

12-29-2010, 12:06 PM
I guess I don't have to say it, but I came into this thread to say, get the caviar black. The blue and green have smaller caches and the green one supposedly saves energy by sacrificing everything else.

Spend the extra 20 bucks and get the black, you won't regret it.

12-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Caviar Black...

12-29-2010, 5:04 PM
Caviar Black. faster. and double the warranty.
worth it.

Yep, get the Caviar Black. I've never had one of these fail on me.

12-29-2010, 5:48 PM
Ok, sounds like Caviar Black is on the menu. Thanks for all the help guys.

12-30-2010, 11:47 AM
In case you have not yet purchased:

Use coupon code EMCZNPY45 for $10. With free shipping and use of code, you get a 1TB Caviar Black for $78. And from Newegg!

Nose Nuggets
12-30-2010, 1:34 PM
All the statements regarding the Black's is true. They are better.

That aside, there is one aspect of hard drive reliability that cannot be ignored. There is none. I don't care what the label says, or who makes it, every drive has the possibility of failure. i have had Black's fail 2 hours out of the box. is it more rare then other drives? sure. but the possibility exists none the less. Assuming you can backup less frequently because you bought a drive that has a lower failure rate is preposterous.

there are two types of people, those who have lost data, and those who will.

hard drives of every kind can fail at any time for a verity of reasons.

01-02-2011, 4:47 PM
Go for the solid state drive or the Caviar Black but the SSD over anything available at present