PDA

View Full Version : armscor revolver

Vanilla Gorilla
12-28-2010, 2:58 PM
what do you guys think of the armscor m206 looks to be a colt detective special copy i know their RIA 1911's are good so i would assume the m206 should be the same
either way i got a wild hair and ordered one lol so i will be sure to do a range report and a review on it when i get it

morrcarr67
12-28-2010, 3:05 PM
what do you guys think of the armscor m206 looks to be a colt detective special copy i know their RIA 1911's are good so i would assume the m206 should be the same
either way i got a wild hair and ordered one lol so i will be sure to do a range report and a review on it when i get it

I got one a few months ago when Turners opened their new store in Rancho for $209 + tax, Lic and Doc Fees.

I've only put 200 rounds through it so far but I like the way it feels. I wasn't sure I would like the factory wood grips but I was surprised at how well they fit my hand. You can use the Colt Detective Special speed loaders with this gun.

Over all I'm very pleased with this gun. Have fun shooting it. :)

Vanilla Gorilla
12-28-2010, 3:08 PM
almost forgot here is a pic of what it looks like (not mine i will post pics when i get mine)
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/productimages/handguns/AC-M206-WOOD-D.jpg

Vanilla Gorilla
12-28-2010, 3:48 PM
I got one a few months ago when Turners opened their new store in Rancho for $209 + tax, Lic and Doc Fees.

I've only put 200 rounds through it so far but I like the way it feels. I wasn't sure I would like the factory wood grips but I was surprised at how well they fit my hand. You can use the Colt Detective Special speed loaders with this gun.

Over all I'm very pleased with this gun. Have fun shooting it. :)

good to hear
i sort of just ordered it on a whim like i said got a wild hair and ordered one figured for $225 out the door i couldnt go wrong

Khram
12-28-2010, 4:01 PM
If these have a Colt Detective Special type action and just don't clone the outward appearance it will be more likely to go out of time than a S&W and harder to find a gunsmith that can fix correctly. What is warranty on these?

brassburnz
12-28-2010, 4:08 PM
I've been looking for another snubby. If it's a Detective Special clone, I'll take the extra round over a j-frame smith! $200 + is a great deal.

Vanilla Gorilla
12-28-2010, 4:10 PM
If these have a Colt Detective Special type action and just don't clone the outward appearance it will be more likely to go out of time than a S&W and harder to find a gunsmith that can fix correctly. What is warranty on these?

dont know the warranty info on them but i have 2 excellent gun****hs at nicks gunworks who both know a colt inside and out like the back of their hand (one of them did a colt detective special for my grandfather when he was a cop back in the 60's)
just as a question what makes them go out of time?
(i am not a big revolver person)

Vanilla Gorilla
12-28-2010, 4:12 PM
I've been looking for another snubby. If it's a Detective Special clone, I'll take the extra round over a j-frame smith! $200 + is a great deal.

it is a detective special clone i asked before i ordered it

redcliff
12-28-2010, 6:52 PM
While there are certainly similarities, and I think it will probably be a good revolver for the price, I think "clone" might be a bit too strong of a word:

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/productimages/handguns/AC-M206-WOOD-D.jpg

Versus
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll137/ranjaz/firearms/coltds1.jpg

Note the differences in pin and screw locations, hammer shape and trigger shape, as well as cylinder fluting. And of course the level of finish. My crude i-phone picture doesn't do the Detective Special justice; they're my favorite snubbies of all time.

morrcarr67
12-28-2010, 7:19 PM
it is a detective special clone i asked before i ordered it

As close to a clone as you can get. They are using old Colt tool and dies just like they do for with the 1911's.

However, they did have to rework the innards. The original Colt Detective Special had a Spur Hammer. No way that would pass California's drop test. So it does have the new style action with the transfer bar.

BigRich
12-28-2010, 8:46 PM
At that price point I'll bet a buck that the internals are a lot more like a Charter Arms/Taurus/Rossi than a Colt DS. The Colt mechanism is expensive to make and takes a bit of hand work to set up properly.

Honeydos
12-28-2010, 9:09 PM
Maybe it's just the one I handled, but as far as I could tell they are junk. I have nothing against Armscor, I have a RIA 1911 and love it. The revolver I handled had serious clockwork issues. Inconsistent trigger pull, binding, slop in the cyllinder timing, etc. The finish was terrible and production finishing was rough to say the least. I wouldn't buy one.

bsg
12-28-2010, 9:23 PM
the Armscor revolvers have been discussed here in the recent past. use the search button to get reviews and discussions.

congratulations on your new revolver.

sirgiles
12-28-2010, 9:55 PM
the Armscor revolvers have been discussed here in the recent past. use the search button to get reviews and discussions.

congratulations on your new revolver.

here is the link.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=318393&highlight=armscor+revolver

Cokebottle
12-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Maybe it's just the one I handled, but as far as I could tell they are junk. I have nothing against Armscor, I have a RIA 1911 and love it. The revolver I handled had serious clockwork issues. Inconsistent trigger pull, binding, slop in the cyllinder timing, etc. The finish was terrible and production finishing was rough to say the least. I wouldn't buy one.
I agree.
I love my RIA 1911 and wouldn't trade it for any other comparably priced semi-auto. I haven't even touched my XD9 since I bought it.

But that revolver.... it scares me. .38 snubbies are so reasonably priced that I would rather pay $100 or $200 more for a S&W or Ruger... or even a Taurus/Rossi.

Seriously, the price of the gun is just the down payment on the ammo anyways. I certainly see the attraction to a low priced piece as much as anyone, but over the course of a year, the money that it would take to turn the Armscor into the purchase of a quality revolver would amount to no more than a box of JHP a month.

Vanilla Gorilla
12-30-2010, 4:10 PM
so I was able to go down and start the paperwork on my armscor m206 should have it in my hand on the 10th of January

morrcarr67
12-30-2010, 4:35 PM
so I was able to go down and start the paperwork on my armscor m206 should have it in my hand on the 10th of January

Sweet. :D

Vanilla Gorilla
12-30-2010, 5:44 PM
Sweet. :D

thanks
i am already thinking about replacing the grips lol
i think i might do something like this but in wood if i can get some for cheap
http://www.celtictexas.com/Dick%20Special1.jpg

morrcarr67
12-30-2010, 6:01 PM
Armscor runs a retail website but I can't remember the name. They have grips that look like this for the M206 for under $20.

Found it! Advanced Tactical (http://www.advancedtactical.com/advancedtactical/)

http://www.armscor.com.ph/img/edited/206.jpg

JanG
12-30-2010, 6:33 PM
don't worry vanilla, there's always the lifetime warranty and i'm sure john told you how awesome armscor guns are.

Vanilla Gorilla
12-30-2010, 7:52 PM
don't worry vanilla, there's always the lifetime warranty and i'm sure john told you how awesome armscor guns are.

Can't say he did and I have yet to hear anything bad from anyone who has owned one yet so far all the bad talk has been people saying they think it is junk it is ok I bought it and if it is junk then I wasted my money I can live with that

Cokebottle
12-30-2010, 8:13 PM
Can't say he did and I have yet to hear anything bad from anyone who has owned one yet so far all the bad talk has been people saying they think it is junk it is ok I bought it and if it is junk then I wasted my money I can live with that
Someone posted a few months ago that they had one and it had timing issues.
They liked it, but it is not a gun that they would trust for personal/home defense.

Personally, if I'm going to buy a "safe queen" it's not going to be the cheapest thing I can find.
I might get that to teach my wife or kids handgun safety and shooting technique, and a gun that occasionally fails would even be a good training aid (since any gun can fail), but personally, I don't want a gun in the house that I would hesitate to grab when something goes bump in the night. All guns in my house are loaded and chambered (including the AR)... if I can get my hand on a gun, it is available and ready for use.

Markus
12-30-2010, 11:01 PM
so are these still on sale at turners? or where are you guys getting these?

sirgiles
12-30-2010, 11:07 PM

if your really interested, there are lots of reviews at pinoyguns.com. although most of the reviews were negative, majority of the reviewers were made by armed guards, who probably did'nt shoot it alot because bullets are so expensive in the philippines. none were made by a reputable person or group. i have also not come across any published reliability testing on this revolver.

johnthomas
12-30-2010, 11:21 PM
http://www.armscor.com.ph/revolvers.htm

Vanilla Gorilla
12-30-2010, 11:36 PM
so are these still on sale at turners? or where are you guys getting these?

I ordered mine at nicks gunworks in Lodi

Vanilla Gorilla
12-30-2010, 11:46 PM
Someone posted a few months ago that they had one and it had timing issues.
They liked it, but it is not a gun that they would trust for personal/home defense.

Personally, if I'm going to buy a "safe queen" it's not going to be the cheapest thing I can find.
I might get that to teach my wife or kids handgun safety and shooting technique, and a gun that occasionally fails would even be a good training aid (since any gun can fail), but personally, I don't want a gun in the house that I would hesitate to grab when something goes bump in the night. All guns in my house are loaded and chambered (including the AR)... if I can get my hand on a gun, it is available and ready for use.

Not buying it for home/ self defense or to be a safe queen I just got a wild hair up my a** and decided I want a snub nose revolver if I was buying one for self defense I would get a smith and wesson I have a colt python and a smith and wesson model 10 allready this is just a buy for s**ts and giggles kind of gun doesnt have to work 100% all day every day for me to like it

On another note I wish people would stop saying I am buying a piece of junk just because it isn't your cup-o-tea doesn't mean it isn't mine if you want to say it is junk that's fine I don't care either way I bought it and drosed it
(not directed to or at anyone in particular)

morrcarr67
12-31-2010, 7:21 AM
On another note I wish people would stop saying I am buying a piece of junk just because it isn't your cup-o-tea doesn't mean it isn't mine if you want to say it is junk that's fine I don't care either way I bought it and drosed it

Don't worry about it too much. You know what they say: "Opinions are like a**holes; everyone has one".

I'm like you. I have high dollar guns and low dollar guns. I still have the very first gun my Mom ever bought for me; a Raven .25.

And, believe it or not my favorite rifle is an old Pre-68 Mossberg Tube feed .22 with a 24" barrel and Marble iron sights that I paid $40 bucks for at a yard sale when I was 19. I can keep a quarter size hole at 150 yards rested.

Like I said I have only put 200 rounds through my M206 but I have no issues with it what so ever. At 7 yards I was able to keep about a 4.5" to 5" group with both hands. If I ever grab this little revolver for self defense I would feel safe with it.

Rob454
12-31-2010, 7:44 AM
Don't worry about it too much. You know what they say: "Opinions are like a**holes; everyone has one".
I'm like you. I have high dollar guns and low dollar guns.
Like I said I have only put 200 rounds through my M206 but I have no issues with it what so ever. At 7 yards I was able to keep about a 4.5" to 5" group with both hands. If I ever grab this little revolver for self defense I would feel safe with it.

Yeah but some posts are fact not opinion. When I went to get mine I thought the same thing. Good price for a gun. ill get it for my wife. IN THE STORE as I was testing it ( brand new gun) the trigger felt like they had welding slag in it, the cylinder did not line up to the barrel and after cocking and pulling trigger test ( bought my own snap caps) the gun locked up and DID NOT want to move. I refused to pick it up. Sorry but I rather spend more and get a more reliable gun than one that may break when i need it most. IF that happens any savings you may of had when you purchased it will pretty much fly out the window. While there is no guarantee because ANY mechanical thing may break at any time, There are simply better revolvers for not that much more money out on the market.

The fit and finish on this gun is horrible. Buy it as a kick around gun but to have it as a primary defense gun no way. It seems to me that they are a hit and miss type of gun. Hopefully the OPs Armscor ends up being a hit rather than a miss like mine was.

GW
12-31-2010, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla gorilla View Post

You forgot to add: And they all stink except mine!:D
I will assume the OP checked out the gun before he bought it. Any gunmaker can let a lemon slip by. To wit: My pal's new 686 was way out of timing spitting lead shavings everywhere when it fired. My Taurus Tracker is the second one I looked at.
I imagine Armscor will make good on any problems. Their service with RIA 1911's has been reported as excellent.

dadoody
12-31-2010, 12:50 PM
Have had the Armscor M206 since summer.

Fit and finish are ugly to some, but it looks fine to me. It has burring and edging. The finish is not smooth (blued), it is gritty looking - parkerized. I think it's an awesome looking gun with Pachmayr grips.

I've shot about 100 rounds through it so far. Timing is correct. Cylinder gap to forcing cone is tight and there is no back firing of gas and lead, so that's good.

This is a good gun, in my opinion. The steel is chromoly steel, and the gun is tested to take +p loads, but it is not recommended to use much +p through it. I bought some defense rounds for it: Remmington Nyclads in 38sp, which I've read is pretty much THE rounds to have for snub nosed 38s.

The only problem I can see is with metal expansion if you overheat the thing. Sustained 50 rounds may make it harder to push the cylinder out to reload. That's the only issue I've seen, so you would not want this in a sustained fire fight.

89 Vision
12-31-2010, 4:03 PM
I have one and I like it very much. I just wanted a cheapo snubby for some reason. Probably because I used to watch a lot of cop shows in the 80's. The trigger on mine is just fine. Armscor gives you a lifetime warranty and I hear their customer service is top notch. Luckily I haven't had to utilize it. Not sure how long they will be in business, but as long as they keep coming up with cheap ways to manufacture some of America's favorites, they should be around for awhile. Now I'm just hoping they can come up with some old Colt AR tooling and make a very reasonably priced rifle.

Vanilla Gorilla
12-31-2010, 9:09 PM
I have one and I like it very much. I just wanted a cheapo snubby for some reason. Probably because I used to watch a lot of cop shows in the 80'.

That's kind of why I wanted one

D53
12-31-2010, 10:03 PM
Funny enough I was at River City Gun Exchange today looking at one and almost bought one, but ended up going with the Ruger G141 instead. But the RI did feel pretty good for the price. Maybe in the future :43:

dadoody
12-31-2010, 11:26 PM
Funny enough I was at River City Gun Exchange today looking at one and almost bought one, but ended up going with the Ruger G141 instead. But the RI did feel pretty good for the price. Maybe in the future :43:

I bought it only because it was a $200 revolver that is made by a company known to make decent guns for the price.

If anyone here is looking for a snubby/ccw, and can afford that glock, ruger, 1911, or whatever, go with those. I would recommend this Armscor gun be the line of defense for someone on a budget. If you don't have that restriction, then by all means, get something else. This is a $200 gun and after taxes, DROS, and buying a pachmayr grip, will run you $300, which could buy you an ancient s&w model 10 revolver; however, then you'll need to really check the gaps, timing, and all of that.

Vanilla Gorilla
01-02-2011, 12:22 AM
I bought it only because it was a $200 revolver that is made by a company known to make decent guns for the price.

another reason why i bought one