PDA

View Full Version : Talk to your DA!

Santa Cruz Armory
07-28-2006, 11:50 AM
The only thing that looks like it MAY work is if poeple start getting letters from their respective DA's that they (the DA) do not believe that an OLL is an "assault weapon" due to the fixed mag conversion, therefore not faliing into the generic description of an assault weapon.

I know, I know! the situation needs to be spelled out for the DA to grasp and make a educated decision...but obviously the DOJ is not willing to step up and make a CLEAR decision for the DA's to follow.

I know that the DA's are not likely to put anything in writing, but I still think that they need to be informed of the confusion that the DOJ is spreading, and then maybe they'll realize that these rifles are no more dangerous than any other rifle out there....

I'm game to notify the Santa Cruz County DA, but I feel that there are other people in my area that probably could articulate the "law" and our position a little better. Bill, treelogger, glen (where R U?)........

Am I way off base with this idea???

bwiese
07-28-2006, 4:33 PM
I don't think this is helpful at all.

DAs don't give legal advice other than the most general ("No, you can't kill your grandma".) They will refer you to your attorney.

And since this is gun stuff requiring research from people unfamiliar generally with this, their first answer is gonna be "No" if they even bothered to answer you.

blacklisted
07-28-2006, 4:34 PM
There was talk of this before...it may be a good idea to ask the DA their opinion. Just don't say "I have this, is it legal". Speak hypothetically. I'm sure someone here can explain it.

Unfortunately, they may say "no" or tell you to ask the DoJ firearms division, which will then tell you to ask the DA.

If it WAS illegal, a lot of people would be in jail (including gun stores that stock complete fixed-mag ARs, some of which were audited!).

SemiAutoSam
07-28-2006, 4:36 PM
How would they get out of answering an open letter in the letters to the editor section in the local news paper ?

if you state that your asking for a clarification of law.

Would they sidestep the question or dance around it like BL did when he was on the radio a few months back.

sac7000
07-28-2006, 4:57 PM
I once approached my local DA with a "subject to your local DA's interpretation DOJ approval letter for Atlantic's Firearm's CA Legal AK-47 My DA told me to hire a lawyer to determine if it was legal or not. I just scratched my head, went shooting and forgot all about it.

anotherone
07-28-2006, 5:21 PM
The way I see, the time to ask a DA was well before you ended up with 5-10 lowers in your safe and a couple fixed mag off-list rifles. Of course, seeing as none of us has been prosecuted despite multiple trips to the range and reported encounters with DOJ agents and other LEOs who have seen fixed mag rifles... well I'd say the same thing as Sac7000... get 'em out and enjoy 'em.