PDA

View Full Version : About how often does an extractor need to be replaced?

ee2
12-28-2010, 11:32 AM
I have a Star Model B 9 mm that I bought used that shows very little wear. After about 250 rounds of working well, the extractor claw tip broke off. I ordered a replacement from Numrich so it will be fixed soon but I am wondering if I should stock up on spare parts. How long (round count) should an extractor normally last? What other replacement parts should I keep on hand. Thanks for any advice.

jyo
12-28-2010, 11:53 AM
It is rather unusual to break off a extractor---but as you know it can happen---I have had several Star pistols in the past and did not have this problem---because the Star guns are no longer in production, if you plan on keeping it, a few spares is propably a good idea---the usual items, extractor, springs, grip screws, firing pin etc.---can't be too expensive---good luck.

Turbinator
12-28-2010, 12:13 PM
I saw someone just replace the extractor on a ~15 year old Glock 19. Seems that all metal parts eventually fatigue and break, if they are under stress. Took 15 years for this one to break, though.

Turby

JTROKS
12-28-2010, 12:18 PM
A broken extractor may just mean there was a flaw on the metal and the new one installed may last a lifetime. Of the replacement extractor breaks again it may mean you have a rough chamber making extraction a bit difficult that is adding extra stress to the hook. Extra parts that may come in handy would be:

Extractor, firing pin, firing pin spring, firing pin stop (if required).

swifty
12-28-2010, 12:31 PM
Parts are getting harder to get for the Model B Stars, I would grab an extra extractor, FP, stock screw and several recoil springs.

Be sure to feed only from the magazine. It is very common to damage extractors by dropping a cartridge into the chamber then closing the slide.

Synergy
12-28-2010, 12:36 PM
Every :twoweeks:

I just had to say!