PDA

View Full Version : Ideal Humidity for gunsafe?

Veritas_223
07-27-2006, 9:33 PM
What is a good humidity level 30% 40% 20%?

bwiese
07-27-2006, 10:23 PM
I'd think it'd be as low as possible, unless there are issues about wood.

But I'd rather had wood issues than rust ;) And most all of my rifles are black plastic :)

Practically speaking, get dessicant, and when it changes color, dry it in the oven. Open your gunsafe periodically to vent it. Put a GoldenRod dehumidifier rod in there as well. With all these actions you should be in pretty good shape.

Actually, I think the 'humidity' in my safe is mostly due to BreakFree CLP vapor :)

Mssr. Eleganté
07-27-2006, 11:23 PM
I believe Hatcher found that rust wouldn't form on firearms that were kept in an environemnt with less than 50% relative humidity, even if they had been fired with corrosive ammunition.

But keeping the RH too low can cause wooden stocks to shrink and leather slings/holsters to crack.

So just below 50% would seem like a good bet.

If all of your stocks are synthetic and you keep all of your gun leather out of the safe then, like Bill says, the lower the better.

xenophobe
07-27-2006, 11:26 PM
Between 25-40% relative humitidy is all you want. It will keep wood from drying out, and trying to decrease the humidity lower than that would be difficult anyways.

grammaton76
07-28-2006, 2:45 PM
Personally, I intend to get a second safe for my wood guns - for aesthetic, humidity, and practical reasons. I'm getting tired of all the AR's trying to jump forward in the rack; I'd like to get some of those wedge shaped things to set 'em in, but that'd make the SKSes and such sit on an uneven area.

Veritas_223
07-28-2006, 9:40 PM
Just check the radioshack humidity gauge in the safe..21%. GoldenRod, dessicant and a small fluorescent light that stays on..

Sounds like I am good to go. Thanks all!

:)

tankerman
07-29-2006, 9:40 AM
I have seen what happens to a wood stock that is kept to dry, my half brother got carried away with the dry safe thing, and ended up with a cracked stock

1911_sfca
07-29-2006, 3:48 PM
I don't see why you even need to think about the humidity in your safe, anywhere in California, unless you live right next to the beach.

If you can put a car in your garage for 30 years, open up the garage and it still looks brand new, why would you worry about guns??? This is California after all... it's pretty dry here.

xenophobe
07-29-2006, 4:35 PM
I don't see why you even need to think about the humidity in your safe, anywhere in California, unless you live right next to the beach.

If you can put a car in your garage for 30 years, open up the garage and it still looks brand new, why would you worry about guns??? This is California after all... it's pretty dry here.

I agree. I don't keep any dessicant or golden rod in my safe.... I've never had rust problems either... if I did, I would definitely consider it....

ivanimal
07-29-2006, 7:05 PM
I am a goldenrod user, I have 4 leather sheaths with Bayonets in them right above where the rod hangs. There is no drying whatsoever. I live in contra costa county where it gets realy hot in the summer and cold as heck in the winter. Well cold for me anyhow.;)

Veritas_223
07-29-2006, 10:07 PM
I have milsups rifles and I shoot corrosive 8mm, 7.62x54, 303 and 7.62x45 ammo. I make an extra effort clean up after the corrosive ammo. The dry safe is an insurance in case I miss something during the cleanup..

stickman
08-04-2006, 10:06 AM
We used to live in Felton (in the redwood forest behind Santa Cruz), at the bottom of a canyon with tall redwoods all around. Ventilation was non-existing. Probably close enough to the ocean so salt in the air contributed to corrosion. In the winter, everything in the house would get moldy. I'm sure guns would have rusted; tools certainly did.

We overcompensated, and now live on a dry ridgetop location in the Santa Cruz mountains. We have a hard time keeping plants alive in the summer, because everything dries out. I haven't had any rust problems in the house, including on tools, even though tools (and the gun safe) are in a basement underground.

Which goes to prove that not all of California is dry.

I wonder if Thomas the train in Roaring Camp has rust problems :)

Brian

fal_762x51
08-05-2006, 12:18 PM
Museums use 50% humidity and 65-70 degrees, IIRC. Too dry and your stock will dry out, not a good thing. I keep mine at 48% at 60 degrees, in 100% humidity and salty air weather, and no rust to speak of.