PDA

View Full Version : charter arms opinions?

Vanilla Gorilla
12-28-2010, 9:03 AM
so I am looking into getting a revolver I want a .38 special snubbie (don't know why but I just do). looking for some opinions on charter arms revolvers they seem to be affordable and in my price range. I wont be using this for home defense just for plinking but at the same time I don't want to waste my cash on a piece of junk. so let me know what you think.

Argonaut
12-28-2010, 10:20 AM
It depends on what you are comparing it to.......it would be better than a pocket knife......but I would save my money for a Smith or Colt.

CALATRAVA
12-28-2010, 10:23 AM
It depends on what you are comparing it to.......it would be better than a pocket knife......but I would save my money for a Smith or Colt.

x2. I think charter and taurus are in the same "hit or miss" category. Smith , colt and ruger are both "pass on to your children" type guns, which also translates to good resale value if you ever decide to liquidate your collection.

CALATRAVA
12-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Oh, and by the way, there's no explanation needed for choosing a .38 special. It's a controllable, dependable round that protected a lot of cops and soldiers for quite a while before the "wonder-9" came around.

5-6 shots of .38 special, center mass, is going to do a lot of damage if you need it to, to protect you and yours. :)

maddoggie13
12-28-2010, 10:27 AM
x2. I think charter and taurus are in the same "hit or miss" category. Smith , colt and ruger are both "pass on to your children" type guns, which also translates to good resale value if you ever decide to liquidate your collection.

x3...get a Ruger, Colt or Smith.

paul0660
12-28-2010, 10:37 AM
The usual responses. Hopefully someone who has owned a CA will chime in. I haven't, and haven't had a problem with my Taurus or Rossi revolvers.

Vanilla Gorilla
12-28-2010, 10:40 AM
Oh, and by the way, there's no explanation needed for choosing a .38 special. It's a controllable, dependable round that protected a lot of cops and soldiers for quite a while before the "wonder-9" came around.

5-6 shots of .38 special, center mass, is going to do a lot of damage if you need it to, to protect you and yours. :)

i wasnt saying i dont know why i want a .38 i was saying i dont know why i want a snub nosed barrel i have no use for it and a longer barrel would be better for accuracy but i just want a snub nosed just to have one lol

CALATRAVA
12-28-2010, 11:03 AM
i wasnt saying i dont know why i want a .38 i was saying i dont know why i want a snub nosed barrel i have no use for it and a longer barrel would be better for accuracy but i just want a snub nosed just to have one lol

oh! I see. My mistake. :p

Vanilla Gorilla
12-28-2010, 12:26 PM
The usual responses. Hopefully someone who has owned a CA will chime in. I haven't, and haven't had a problem with my Taurus or Rossi revolvers.

i was thinking about a taurus i am not too big of a fan of the quality i have seen from taurus i just cant bring myself to pay 500+ for a revolver when i could get a glock for that price

GuyW
12-28-2010, 12:58 PM
I had an old (late '70s) Charter Arms Undercover .38 that I bought new. It was a steel frame, good quality, and shot well. I never should have sold it, and I'm looking for another one.

I also own a S&W 649.

spursnguns
12-29-2010, 7:48 AM
I have owned Colts, Smiths and Charter Arms. Charter Arms are strictly entry level guns. Serviceable and not much more. Save your money.

guns4life
12-29-2010, 7:57 AM
I bought a charter for my wife to toss in her purse from time to time(when I'm not around). It does the job, shoots fine, and has never let me down...It's a freakin revolver after all, it's hard to mess that up. Plus it's made in America, and cost me 250.00+fees.

Vanilla Gorilla
12-29-2010, 8:18 AM
so i decided to get a armscor m206 it is a copy of the old colt detective special i figured the detective special served as a back up gun for my grandfather when he was a cop back in the 60's so it should be good enough for me considering i am just going to shoot it at the range

guns4life
12-29-2010, 8:23 AM
so i decided to get a armscor m206 it is a copy of the old colt detective special i figured the detective special served as a back up gun for my grandfather when he was a cop back in the 60's so it should be good enough for me considering i am just going to shoot it at the range

Have you held that model? I picked one up and it felt too funky for me(like it should be shot from the hip only), or else I would have bought one some time ago.

Ed_in_Sac
12-29-2010, 8:36 AM
I have not owned one....when you bring up the subject of Charter Arms my first question is, which company? They have changed hands so today's Charter Arms company may or may not be the same quality as the original. When these came out in the 70's they were all the rage, in part because of the bulldog 44. From what I saw on the range, they shot ok, but heard a couple of regular shooters complain that "theirs" loosened up quite a bit after frequent range use, mind you I do not know how hot they were loading them. And it is not unusual for a small light framed revolver to loosen up if heavy loads are regularly used in it.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Be safe and learn to use it right!

Vanilla Gorilla
12-29-2010, 8:37 AM
Have you held that model? I picked one up and it felt too funky for me(like it should be shot from the hip only), or else I would have bought one some time ago.

i have held the detective special before (nothing great but hey it is a snub nose) and the armscor is a copy of that so i figure it should be the same feel in my hand

Heatseeker
12-29-2010, 8:44 AM
I have a Charter Undercover from the early 70's (which by the way was reported in American Rifleman as the lightest snub offered at the time of it's introduction).

I have had good luck with it the few times that I've had it out. Definitely not my most accurate .38, but fun to shoot none the less.

B Strong
12-29-2010, 8:48 AM
so I am looking into getting a revolver I want a .38 special snubbie (don't know why but I just do). looking for some opinions on charter arms revolvers they seem to be affordable and in my price range. I wont be using this for home defense just for plinking but at the same time I don't want to waste my cash on a piece of junk. so let me know what you think.

Otrher than the ejector rods backing out and jamming the cylinder locked, they're good pieces...

Seriously, unless you can't afford better now or in the future, save your money.

tbhracing
12-29-2010, 8:56 AM
OP- I was in the same boat as you looking for a small revolver for my Mom. I am a gun snob so the name and quality had to be there.

I ended up getting her a Ruger LCR-

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:IbyPkSs-g6AHsM:http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e220/Customminitruck/LCR.jpg&t=1

brassburnz
12-29-2010, 9:10 AM
My first .22 revolver was a Charter Arms Pathfinder (paid $165) which I still have after thirty something years. I showed it to a knowledgeable friend and he said although Charter Arms makes good guns, I should have saved up and bought a Smith. When you're a college kid, saving the extra $50 or so seemed like so much plus I wanted a gun NOW.

Today my 6 inch Charter Arms Pathfinder complete with original box and papers is probably worth $300 tops. If I had bought the Model 17... how much would a 6 inch Model 17 with the original box and papers be worth? I know it would be a lot more than $300.

taperxz
12-29-2010, 9:10 AM
I have carried a C A 38 for 20 yrs On my ranch, I go no where without it. It Can get dirty, I run snake loads in the spring and summer, and it's nice and light to carry when I'm working. No worries about scratches or accidents mess in up the gun.

Put it this way, are you buying a 4x4 for show or are you going off road with it? I guess it all depends on your budget and what you will do with it. For the money Smiths are the best but I don't want to ruin mine so CArms has been my choice.

brassburnz
12-29-2010, 9:21 AM
I have carried a C A 38 for 20 yrs On my ranch, I go no where without it. It Can get dirty, I run snake loads in the spring and summer, and it's nice and light to carry when I'm working. No worries about scratches or accidents mess in up the gun.

Put it this way, are you buying a 4x4 for show or are you going off road with it? I guess it all depends on your budget and what you will do with it. For the money Smiths are the best but I don't want to ruin mine so CArms has been my choice.

Well said!

saki302
12-30-2010, 3:22 AM
My friend's mom bought a used CA undercover about 15 years ago. The cylinder rod fell apart on us at the range- the button was on there loose.

After I ordered new parts (thanks Numrich!), and loc-tite'd the darn thiung on (and wrenched the living heck out of it), the little revolver has been fine ever since. I don't know if this ewas a fault of the mfr. or the previous user since she bought it used.

My impression:

Relatively light (alloy lower frame)
heavy but smooth double action trigger
fairly solid construction *

*but you should go over any part that threads on!

I'm more of an S&W guy myself, though that new Ruger is so darn ugly it's kind of cool.

-Dave