PDA

View Full Version : M&P- A woman's review. LONG Warning

Tzvia
12-28-2010, 7:48 AM
Went to the range for the first time to shoot my new M&P 45, and thought that having a review by a small handed (tip of middle finger to start of wrist-6.5") woman might be a good idea.

For a start, let me just say I am an avid shooter; pistol, shotgun, bp and rifle. I've built 9 AR rifles (lowers and uppers), reload rifle and handgun, and have been involved in shooting since the early 90's. I am very opinionated. Plastic has no place in a fighting handgun, or so I thought till last November when I decided to replace my Browning HP with a bigger caliber handgun for HD, to keep handy along with my Smith 65. My other 45s are too nice for this roll-thinking they might not come home if ever used for HD. So I started looking at the field, and came across the M&P. I've shot the Sigma before (UGG) and the Glock (no thanks).

Handling it in the store with the small gripstrap, it felt good, and I noticed the low mounted slide that I have heard helps with muzzle flip. The balance in the hand was quite good, but I swayed and started looking at the Smith 1911, but there goes the budget to something that I might not want to use and lose. So back to plastic. My comfort zone is a 1911 type safety, so ended up buying that, in 45acp, which I reload for already. This is a home gun, not a carry piece, but it is light enough to carry if needed in a big purse.

It comes in a rather nice case, with two mags, a cheap lock and chamber flag. I quickly broke it down, it uses a breakdown lever much like my SIG Mosquito. It is very easy to take down for cleaning. Some CLP and a little time and it was ready for the range.

The reloads I shot were made up of ELD and WW brass, 200gr plated RNs and FPs, and some Hornady swc lead that my NM Colt had issues chambering, over Universal and Win 231. Also shot some 230gr Blazer ammo.
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k607/Tzvia2/mp-range.jpg

Right off, one mag was easy to get all 10 in, and the other was a 9.5 round mag-it was a real struggle to get #10 in. Taking time, I was able to make one ragged 2" hole at 15feet with 1 flyer with the first mag. Quicker shooting kept all rounds in a 4" circle, with the sights being well regulated. No failures to feed or functiion were noted, and I found that the gun had a slight preference for the 230gr load. That's ok, I usually load up the 200gr bullets light for my light-slide '68 Colt NM and plan to load 230s for this gun. Also, the SWC Hornady lead ran just fine through the M&P along with everything else. 200 rounds, no issues. The recoil was more straight back with less flip than my BHP and even my Colt XSE. The grip is quite a handful, but still controllable in my small hands. The trigger, while gritty at first, seemed to get better with every mag, and while not the breaking glass feel of my NM, was quite good by the end of my range session and more than fine for a HD weapon. Between it, my old Smith 65, and my Tactical Remy 870, I don't think I could blame the hardware if the flit hits the shan at home.

And I think that if done right, as was done with my M&P, plastic aint so bad in a fighting gun. ;)

sd_shooter
12-28-2010, 8:04 AM
Thanks for the review! :D I'm picking up my M&P45 on Friday.

jak77
12-28-2010, 8:06 AM
Nice write up! Thanks for sharing, a plastic gun looks to be in my future

45R
12-28-2010, 8:12 AM
M&Ps are a great platform. I enjoy shooting plastic :)

zman
12-28-2010, 8:14 AM
Nice write up :thumbsup:

Now if we could link this to the M&P are for gurlz thread :D j/k

PatriotnMore
12-28-2010, 8:16 AM
Welcome to the plastic revolution. Nice review.

It's funny, or not, but this " I am very opinionated. Plastic has no place in a fighting handgun, or so I thought till last November when I decided to replace my Browning HP with a bigger caliber handgun for HD, to keep handy along with my Smith 65" seems to be a common theme with gun people, especially long time gun people, and I am not sure why. :)

ZX-10R
12-28-2010, 8:45 AM
Great review and thank you for sharing. Pretty accurate considering you and I have the same model 109006. Interesting that I had the same issue of one magazine being a pain to load 10 rounds.

I am getting the Apex Tactical trigger job in a couple of weeks when I go to SLOSA where they are members as well.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb85/mosepeda2000/IMG_1024.jpg

magsnubby
12-28-2010, 10:49 AM
I am very opinionated. Plastic has no place in a fighting handgun, or so I thought till last November...

I hear you. For someone raised on 1911's and S&W revolvers those plastic "things" were just an abomination. A plastic gun??? Are you serious??? Bah!!!

Then one day while at a local gun shop i actually worked up enough courage to handle one of those plastic BLOCKS. Well it didn't really feel to bad. Maybe, just maybe, it would make a good beat around gun while hunting and fishing. Then i wouldn't have to worry so much about beating up any of my S&W's.

I thought about it for a while (okay more like a few months) then decided to take the plunge. It's ugly as all get out, tough as nails, more accurate than i am, dependable, tasted more brush, water, dust and rocks than i care to remember, been to Kentucky and Missippi and back with me, and did i mention ugly?

So i guess plastic guns do have a place in the gun world. Just a word of caution, they do tend to multiply if left in a dark place.

Ksmash01
12-28-2010, 10:50 AM
I had one and loved it.

I plan on getting and M&P9L to replace it.

The S&W1911's I have more than fill the void that was created by selling the M&P45.

I'll get another M&P45 when I get a 1911 in 9mm. For the moment, I'm streamlining my collection. 1911 mags in .45acp, M&P mags in 9mm, Buckmark mags in .22lr. The only "odd ball" mags I have would be for the P99 in 9mm, but I don't plan on getting rid of that any time soon.

Enjoy your pistol!!!!

jumpthestack
12-29-2010, 3:54 AM
I have the same model and love it. Get an Uplula for easy mag loading.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=952670

den888
12-29-2010, 8:23 AM
Thanks for the review.

Legasat
12-29-2010, 8:53 AM
I have 3 M&P's including the 45. I also own several steel handguns (including a Dan Wesson 1911). The M&P's definitely have their place. They can put a defensive round on target for much less than many others. To me, they comfortable, easy to shoot, accurate, easy to clean, and as reliable as anything on the market, all for not much money. Not much to dislike. Congrats on yours!