PDA

View Full Version : .38/.357 snub nose revolver.. inexpensive choice?

YZINGERR
12-28-2010, 1:52 AM
I'm looking to get a new or used inexpensive .38/.357 wheel gun.
I see taurus has some 5 shot snubbie for under $300 (online).. anyone have a line on local shops that have anything in this range new or used?
I would like to keep it under $300 otd.
I'm pretty flexible on makes and models.

rkt88edmo
12-28-2010, 4:01 AM
Also keep an eye out for used charter arms.

morrcarr67
12-28-2010, 6:55 AM
Don't any shops in your area but I did see this online.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_912/products_id/80027

rromeo
12-28-2010, 7:03 AM
The Armscor 206 is a copy of the Colt Detective's Special. 6 shot 38 special. The finish is a bit rough, but I understand that they're reliable.
Usually available for $200-250 + tax and DROS, so it's easily under $300 OTD.

BigDogatPlay
12-28-2010, 9:29 AM
Considering your budget target something used in a Charter Arms or even a Ruger is likely your best choice. You'll not find S&W or Colt used in that price range unless you fall into a bro deal or an estate sale find.

Taurus.... caveat emptor. Some are good, others are not so good. Be very particular in selection if you go with a Taurus.

The Armscor has gotten a lot of positives, and a couple of knocks, around the interwebs. As noted it's a near clone of a successful lockwork design with nearly a century of service. The price makes it hard to pass.

00BuckShot
12-28-2010, 9:33 AM
Bump up your price range by $100 and go with a newer Ruger LCR or a S&W 442.

XDseb
12-28-2010, 9:51 AM
you can usually find the Charter Arms Undercover used in the "Private Firearms Sales" section for $225 to $250. You can also find S&W Airweights for around $400. I would also pass on Taurus.

CALATRAVA
12-28-2010, 10:20 AM
consider a derringer?

I think there are some reputable companies putting out 2 shot .38 special derringers in your price range.

Not exactly what you're asking for, I know. Just a thought.

Also, if you're ok with a smaller caliber, NAA (north american arms) has a mini single action pistol in .22LR or .22Mag, I think.

Otherwise, I think I'd have you save up a bit more and get yourself a smith or Ruger that will last you a lifetime.

It took me 3 months to save up for my XD9 Tactical, but I'm picking it up today, and I'm very glad I didn't cheap out and buy a lesser gun. I know that me and my family will be able to rely on the gun I chose, for a long time...

YZINGERR
12-28-2010, 12:08 PM
consider a derringer?

I think there are some reputable companies putting out 2 shot .38 special derringers in your price range.

Not exactly what you're asking for, I know. Just a thought.

Also, if you're ok with a smaller caliber, NAA (north american arms) has a mini single action pistol in .22LR or .22Mag, I think.

Otherwise, I think I'd have you save up a bit more and get yourself a smith or Ruger that will last you a lifetime.

It took me 3 months to save up for my XD9 Tactical, but I'm picking it up today, and I'm very glad I didn't cheap out and buy a lesser gun. I know that me and my family will be able to rely on the gun I chose, for a long time...
A derringer won't work for a snub nose revolver, and a .22 won't suffice either.
I already own a sp101 & a gp100, I am looking for something cheaper to stash.

CALATRAVA
12-28-2010, 1:12 PM
A derringer won't work for a snub nose revolver, and a .22 won't suffice either.
I already own a sp101 & a gp100, I am looking for something cheaper to stash.

10-4, gotcha.

Since you're already a wheelgunner, I'd say that you can't go wrong with the Armscor .38 snubbie. Very inexpensive, and with a bit of work, and the fitment of new/better grips, you'll likely have a nice shooter.

Not sure how long it'll last for ya, but it should be pretty fun none-the-less. :)

INJUNTOM
12-28-2010, 1:17 PM
I have an EAA Windicator I'm very imprssed with. Alquist arms here locally has them for $269

It's the one on the lower left in my avatar

DaveFJ80
12-28-2010, 2:05 PM
Turner's has Rossi .357 6-shot snub nose on sale right now for $299.... approx $350 OTD.

I was looking into "cheap" .38spl or .357 snub-nose revolvers to play around with awhile back, and I looked at the Armscor, Rossi, Ruger, Charter Arms, and Taurus. IMO, with a revolver you definitely get what you pay for.

The Armscor, even at $179 BNIB at Turner's, it was also a huge POS. Not only was the finish rough, but the main thing was the the trigger was extremely gritty and hard to pull. The Rossi had a nice finish, but the trigger was actually too sensative when in SA. The Taurus M605 was very similar to the Rossi, but it was 5-shot instead of 6-shot. Trigger felt better than the Rossi.

Then when you spend more (SP101, 642 or 442, etc), you get a much tighter & better feeling revolver. The triggers on those are so much smoother that you'll want to spend the extra $100-$150 more on those revolvers.

Foriegn power
12-28-2010, 2:09 PM
Taurus model 605 5- shot .357 magnum, it is my hiking, backpacking, fishing, truck, dog house, kitchen, backyard, driveway revolver serves a purpose as a tool.

SDM44
12-28-2010, 2:30 PM
I've heard that Rossi is made by Taurus. If that's the case, then what's the difference between the Rossi blue .357 6 shot wheel gun compared to the Taurus blue .357 5 shot wheel gun? They both feel about the same size in my hands, and also look pretty much the same. Or is one considerably different, besides the extra bullet in the cylinder?

Tarn_Helm
12-28-2010, 2:55 PM
I'm looking to get a new or used inexpensive .38/.357 wheel gun.
I see taurus has some 5 shot snubbie for under $300 (online).. anyone have a line on local shops that have anything in this range new or used?
I would like to keep it under $300 otd.
I'm pretty flexible on makes and models.

My favorite chain store has something called the Online Gun Rack (http://www.turners.com/shop/gunlisting.php), with which I have had excellent luck.

You can haunt the stores nearest you for bargains.

I have picked up the following used guns since about 2005:

Colt Det. Special, .38 Special, Unfired [TACKDRIVER!], $350.00

Colt Agent, .38 Special, 75% condition, $250.00

Colt Cobra (3 inch barrel), .38 Special, Unfired, $350.00

S&W Military & Police Pre-model 10, 70% condition [TACKDRIVER!], $250.00

Ruger GP 100 (3 inch barrel), .357 Mag., 95% condition [TACKDRIVER!], $350.00--made me a true believer in this caliber!

Ruger SP 101, spurless hammer (2.25 in. bbl), .357 Mag., 99% condition[TACKDRIVER!], $350.00

And the list goes on.

Do your homework on used guns.

Haunt every local shop you know of.

Be patient.

Carry cash (bid low if you can), and show the cash.

Another great spot for used guns used to be Stevenson's Gun Country, which has been replaced by:
Aegis Trading Enterprises, LLC
1313 West Magnolia Blvd
Burbank, CA 91506
818-972-9038

The guys that work there are pretty well informed (though no one is perfect 100% of the time), helpful, and friendly.

Required Reading for Homework:
Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/089689293X/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0873492722&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1CV70Y256RQ39MA6TFVP)
Jim Supica (Author) & Richard Nahas (Author)

This site can help you figure out the age of most Colt revolvers you are likely to encounter: http://proofhouse.com/index.htm

A bright spark named Jim March came up with this: Revolver checkout: How to tell if a particular specimen is any good (http://thefiringline.com/Misc/library/Revolver-check.html)

Good luck.
:cool:

taperxz
12-28-2010, 3:01 PM
Keep in mind that when choosing your wheel gun in 38 spl vs. 357, the 38 spl is much cheaper on ammo than the 357. I have had a charter arms 38 spl. for 20 years now and it has been great. Packs easy, light, reliable, ect.

morrcarr67
12-28-2010, 3:12 PM
consider a derringer?

I had a .38 derringer once. I put 4 rounds through it and sold it. :(

morrcarr67
12-28-2010, 3:15 PM
The Armscor 206 is a copy of the Colt Detective's Special. 6 shot 38 special. The finish is a bit rough, but I understand that they're reliable.
Usually available for $200-250 + tax and DROS, so it's easily under $300 OTD.

I have one of these and really like it. Great gun for the price. :)

_Z_
12-28-2010, 4:07 PM
Keep in mind that when choosing your wheel gun in 38 spl vs. 357, the 38 spl is much cheaper on ammo than the 357. I have had a charter arms 38 spl. for 20 years now and it has been great. Packs easy, light, reliable, ect.

I'm pretty sure he knows the cost difference for the ammo. He currently has two revolvers and wants something cheap.

YZINGERR
12-28-2010, 4:21 PM
I'm pretty sure he knows the cost difference for the ammo. He currently has two revolvers and wants something cheap.
I do, but everyone like to share knowledge.. no biggie.
I prefer to shoot .38 simply due to less recoil

_Z_
12-28-2010, 4:33 PM
I do, but everyone like to share knowledge.. no biggie.
I prefer to shoot .38 simply due to less recoil

If you can deal with only a .38 snub I would look into the armscor. I thought I edited my post earlier but guess it didn't save.

Rob454
12-28-2010, 6:28 PM
I bought a Armscor 38. big POS. When I went to pick it up the gun basically LOCKED up as i was cocking it for the third time. Finish was crappy and the trigger felt like they left casting sand in the action. If you plan on using it as a HD or a SHTF gun don't bother. i never picked it up. I chose a Taurus instead. While it cost more it was worth the extra money spent.
I would consider the Armscor 38 a very unreliable gun.

I bought my wife a Taurus 357 model 605 snub nose. While we did not fire it a lot ( 20 rounds) all the other Taurus guns I've had a few other Taurus guns and I've never had a problem with any of them so I'm not sure why you are getting advice to stay away from Taurus. While i dont care for the 605 that much it is starting to grow on me

I do agree with cost of gun = quality or lack thereof. i would rather buy a used :better quality" gun than a new poor quality gun. While none of my guns are very expensive they are all functional and have no problems. I personally would choose one chambered for 357. it gives you the option of shooting both 38s and hotter 357 rounds.

Good luck

_Z_
12-28-2010, 9:01 PM
Strange Rob since I know a couple of folks that have them and shoot them often.

KumanK
01-24-2011, 12:49 PM
I've heard that Rossi is made by Taurus. If that's the case, then what's the difference between the Rossi blue .357 6 shot wheel gun compared to the Taurus blue .357 5 shot wheel gun? They both feel about the same size in my hands, and also look pretty much the same. Or is one considerably different, besides the extra bullet in the cylinder?

From what I have seen they are pretty much the exact same weapon except the firing pin is on the hammer on the Rossi, Yet I was told at turners that the Rossi has a lot less complaints than the Taurus.

rromeo
01-24-2011, 1:05 PM
Rossi has a lot less complaints than the Taurus.
In my opinion, that's like saying Kia has less complaints than Toyota. People buying the cheaper item expect less, therefore they don't complain as much.

plumbum
01-24-2011, 2:31 PM
The Armscor would make a good stow-away gun, and a friend found a nice used Taurus for $299. The newest Armscor to make the roster is hammerless and nickel plated, but who knows if or when we see one.

KumanK
01-24-2011, 2:55 PM
In my opinion, that's like saying Kia has less complaints than Toyota. People buying the cheaper item expect less, therefore they don't complain as much.

Nicely put and nice analogy too... I was kind of thinking the same thing when he was explaining that but, Im a rookie to wheel guns so I kinda shut my mouth and walked away, We dont deal with revolvers in the Marine Corps but wouldnt that be sweet.

timmyb21
01-24-2011, 3:49 PM
People say a lot of bad stuff about Taurus guns, but they got the model 85 right. Been around forever, mine works very well.

RedFord150
01-24-2011, 4:29 PM
People say a lot of bad stuff about Taurus guns, but they got the model 85 right. Been around forever, mine works very well.

I think it was the Model 85 .38 special that cylinder locked up on me. No explanation for failure and I was shooting mild .38 wadcutters at the range when it failed. I sent it back to Taurus, they fixed it, I sold it to a dealer.
Taurus refused to take my calls, return my messages, or provide a repair report. I cannot trust the gun if I do not know why it failed.
I am glad yours works, mine did not. I have owned owned 7 revolvers in my life, Taurus is the only 1 to fail.
As always, feel free to spend your $ on anything you like. I will never spend my $ on a Taurus product again.