PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Identifying Custom 1911

sleepy
12-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Hey guys my father has 2 custom 1911's, but I have no knowledge of their wareabouts. I did some research myself and didn't come up with much info.
I'm curious to know about the about the maker of the pistol.
The name engraved on the gun is John B Williams.
The thing I find interesting about one of the guns is the barrel length. One is about 8 inches long and the other is about 4 or 5 inches long.

Any input would be greatly appreciated and I hope you guys find it interesting as well.

Mr.Gun
12-27-2010, 10:55 PM
This is very interesting, please post serial number along with a picture of it.

Thanks,

Mr.Gun

MA2
12-27-2010, 11:00 PM
AMT Hardballer Longslide, it's also the terminators gun :)

Dont know about the other one.

Mr.Gun
12-27-2010, 11:03 PM
It is NOT a AMT Hardballer, just because a few parts look alike does not mean anything.

I need the SERIAL number.

sleepy
12-27-2010, 11:28 PM
AMT Hardballer Longslide, it's also the terminators gun :)

Dont know about the other one.

It does look like a hardballer, but the frame of the one I have has it's own unique serial number. It also says made in Fullerton CA

adamsreeftank
12-27-2010, 11:30 PM
Posting a serial number or giving it to a stranger is generally a bad idea.

Very nice looking custom guns.

swifty
12-27-2010, 11:45 PM

I've found mention of, but very little information. "Williams Gun Smithing" comes up and here is the one article I could find.

Deactivated Guns Are a Hit in Japan (http://articles.latimes.com/1994-01-25/local/me-15164_1_gun-dealers)

sleepy
12-27-2010, 11:49 PM
Posting a serial number or giving it to a stranger is generally a bad idea.

Very nice looking custom guns.

I figured haha. Thanks for the compliment.

sleepy
12-27-2010, 11:56 PM
I've found mention of, but very little information. "Williams Gun Smithing" comes up and here is the one article I could find.

Deactivated Guns Are a Hit in Japan (http://articles.latimes.com/1994-01-25/local/me-15164_1_gun-dealers)

I've never loaded one in the chamber before, however i have pulled the hammer and squeezed the trigger and it seems as if all the springs are in working order.

Just amazed.

I REALLY doubt John B Williams only sold deactivated guns.

swifty
12-28-2010, 12:01 AM
I REALLY doubt John B Williams only sold deactivated guns.

I agree. I'm guessing that Mr. Williams found a niche market and used his skills to cater to that market. I'm sure that he built "real" guns both prior to and after the deactivated guns.

9mmepiphany
12-28-2010, 12:34 AM
The long one looks like a copy of the work of Jim Hoag...can you see where the slide was welded?

The tangs look like they were once cut for a beavertail grip safety, but then someone took it off

randy
12-28-2010, 3:31 AM
I would take the guns to Hoag I bet he knew the guy and might be of some help.

More than a couple of smiths made those long guns. In So Cal I guess Hoag would be the guy though.

redcliff
12-28-2010, 4:10 AM
Hey guys my father has 2 custom 1911's, but I have no knowledge of their wareabouts. I did some research myself and didn't come up with much info.
The name engraved on the gun is John B Williams.
The thing I find interesting about one of the guns is the barrel length. One is about 8 inches long and the other is about 4 or 5 inches long.

Any input would be greatly appreciated and I hope you guys find it interesting as well.

Why not ask your father? Did he have the pistols built? Or did he buy them from someone else?

Better pictures (closeups and in focus) showing any frame or slide stamps or scroll markings and serial numbers would be helpfull. Block out the last 3 digits of the serial number with electrical tape if you're paranoid.

Also, are the frames and slides stainless steel or are they hard-chrome plated? Difficult to tell from the photo's.

Heres the pictures so people don't have to click the links in OP:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=79897&d=1293518475

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=79898&d=1293518502

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=79899&d=1293518531

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=79900&d=1293518643

B Strong
12-28-2010, 6:35 AM
I wish I could be more informative, but I distinctly remember speaking with a guy with a table full of similar longslide .45's at the Reno show back in the 1980's - The pieces were re-done from AMT's with all the markings save the serial removed, all parts upgraded.

I looked long and hard at a 7" version, and if iirc he was asking $750.00

Knowing AMT, I passed.

Can't help with the smaller piece, but it looks like the slide was re-machined to resemble a BHP profile.

Kanoodler
12-28-2010, 10:55 AM
I don't know how much this will help, but here is a little sliver of information that I do know....

Williams gun shop operated in Fullerton (Orange County) in the 1980s. It was on Commonwealth Avenue Near Euclid Avenue, just minutes from Anaheim. The shop operated out of what was basically an old California bungalow house that had been converted into a commercial building. It was your typical "gun shop in front, with gunsmithing services in back."

I purchased a couple of guns from them, but never had any work done. I certainly considered it when shopping for work but....at the time, I went with Terry Tussy who was doing fantastic custom work on 1911s in Anaheim. Tussey Custom's work is of course quite well known now.

Williams did stock 1911s, and a variety of other guns.. and had a niche market for supporting and selling the Bren 10. There was a Bren 10 owners group that would visit William's shop from time to time, so there is another potential source of info to help you track down work on the gunsmith.

Best wishes on your quest!

brassburnz
12-28-2010, 4:57 PM
The "hi-power" profile gun actually looks like something Terry Tussey would do. When he was still around, I remember seeing his guns at the local gun shows, Culver City in particular.

pyromensch
12-28-2010, 5:39 PM
i love how the slide on the short one, was sculpted to look like a BHP

Colt
12-28-2010, 9:48 PM
Try posting here to see if anyone recognizes it:

www.louderthanwords.us

CapnHawk
12-28-2010, 11:31 PM
I had John Williams do custom work on two of my handguns - a Colt Trooper .357 magnum and a Ballester-Molina .45ACP. He was a master craftsman and I hold his work in high regard. Due to his talent as a gunsmith, I sent a lot of business his way. Everyone who had their firearms worked on by Mr. Williams had nothing but high praise for him. l last spoke to him close to 20 years ago, as he was getting out of the gunsmithing business. As far as I'm concerned, your pistols are "keepers."