PDA

View Full Version : use stock ruger scope mount or weaver mount?

CALI SHOT DOC
12-27-2010, 6:00 PM
I was sighting in my new 10/22 and about 200 rds in, i noticed the scope mount worked itself loose. Whats a good way to secure the stock scope mount or should i just go with a new weaver mount from midway for $8?

Seesm
12-27-2010, 6:10 PM
Did you use lock tite when originally mounting it? The stock Ruger mount is fine for most if not all on a std configuration rifle.

RobT2K
12-27-2010, 6:12 PM
Just don't overdo it with the locktite, those mounting holes go all the way into the chamber and I've heard of guys covering their bolt carrier and causing problems.

littlejake
12-27-2010, 7:08 PM
Degrease the screws and holes with something like acetone. Use the RED loctite; and just put a small amount on the screw threads - - none in the threaded holes. Fasten down your Ruger rail; and it will not work loose.

DannyInSoCal
12-27-2010, 8:52 PM
Blue loctite will not come loose until you remove the bolt. Red loctite will require heat to breakdown the loctite so you can remove it. I've had to drill out and retap many parts due to people using red loctite when they should've used blue...

swifty
12-27-2010, 11:07 PM
The early Ruger scope mount was designed for the 3/8" scope rings only. Yuk. The later mount is a "Weaver" design that accepts both 3/8" and standard Weaver style rings. I prefer the standard Weaver rings instead of the 3/8". Use blue Loctite for great results.

CALI SHOT DOC
12-28-2010, 1:38 PM
Blue loctite will not come loose until you remove the bolt. Red loctite will require heat to breakdown the loctite so you can remove it. I've had to drill out and retap many parts due to people using red loctite when they should've used blue...

Just went to the local ace and got a the smallest tube they have and put it on. Gonna let it cure a little bit and hopefully zero in my scope for 100yds tomorrow at Richmond RGC. I love my Nikon 3-9x40 scope. Great eye relief and easy to swith power.