PDA

View Full Version : gotta love rimfire

jackandblood
12-27-2010, 4:25 PM
Buy a $30 30 day pass, went 6 times. Fired ~120 rds each time. Literally cost me $12 flat per visit. Tax, gas, ammo, everything and I get to fire enough that I actual identify areas of improvement in technique each time. Even a poor day at the range, like today where I had the caffeinated jitters, too much bend in Saffron's front post, and a slight hangover, basically was glad to just get on paper. Wallet contents same on leaving as on entering, my 7th visit within the 30 pass, home printed targets. Poor day at the range, so what, zero dollars and zero cents out of pocket. :D

Actually came out of top in a way. As poor as my shooting was, working the single action, reloading instinct without counting 6, changing from the .lr to .wmr cylinder all improved in speed and proficiency.

fusionstar
12-27-2010, 4:32 PM
120 rounds a time? Never heard of such a thing :)

My buddies and I usually go until our thumbs are too tired to reload. :P
I really wish there a larger supply of 22lr.. I go through a brick minimum a month at least.

Sheldon
12-27-2010, 4:36 PM
What range is this at?

jackandblood
12-27-2010, 5:30 PM
ocindoorrange.com

ya but fusion, we're talking one sitting (standing). Manual ejection and reload every six rounds. I took up the lane for more than 2 hrs. Oddly, feel quite refreshed.

Izzy43
12-27-2010, 6:00 PM
I go to my range twice a week and shoot nearly 2-Bricks per week out of 4 different rifles. You bet my shooting is getting better.

CaliforniaLiberal
12-27-2010, 6:21 PM
120 rounds a time? Never heard of such a thing :)

My buddies and I usually go until our thumbs are too tired to reload. :P
I really wish there a larger supply of 22lr.. I go through a brick minimum a month at least.

River City Gun Exchange - Federal 510 .22LR 40gr lead round nose $17.99 a brick. Good ammo.

http://findnsave.sacbee.com/Local-Ads/a1101108/River-City-Gun-Exchange?adid=10325044

hawkeye
12-27-2010, 6:27 PM
Buy a $30 30 day pass, went 6 times. Fired ~120 rds each time. Literally cost me $12 flat per visit.

How do you even consider that a range session? Shoot till your thumbs are numb like, fusion star said!:p Even if reload time is long....

jackandblood
12-27-2010, 6:48 PM
Ya but I was getting squint fatigue and i couldn't see the front sight post against the black printed targets. And every lane was full and I think I breathed and got in my eyes, 1000x unhealthy lead-powder-residue from the 4 people that rotated the use of the lane next to me. :D Great times!

iareConfusE
12-27-2010, 7:04 PM
Squint fatigue? Shoot with both eyes open, and don't squint. You need to be putting 2000 rounds of .22LR downrange to call it a session :D

infamous209
12-27-2010, 7:14 PM
lol I go until I look at an empty box of ammo. thumb is sore for at least the next day.

waffmaster
12-27-2010, 7:31 PM
The OC indoor range is very user friendly. I should star shooting .22 LR rifle there too.

pilote
12-27-2010, 7:45 PM
i'm pretty much all business at the range these days; primarily with the pistol...10-12 mags max, done...1-3 sessions a week.

yoitsbruce
12-27-2010, 8:14 PM
is it at the shooting range in brea?

jackandblood
12-27-2010, 8:27 PM
oh I always thought you had to go dominant eye for moderately difficult target shooting. Is their a trick to shooting with both open? Yay new stuff to practice. :cowboy:

iareConfusE
12-27-2010, 8:47 PM
oh I always thought you had to go dominant eye for moderately difficult target shooting. Is their a trick to shooting with both open? Yay new stuff to practice. :cowboy:

Try covering one side of your safety glasses with electrical tape and keep both eyes open. This might not work for you if both of your eyes are bad and you can't focus on the front sight. I've tried this method and it actually doesn't work for me because if I cover my left eye and use my right (dominant) eye, I get a fuzzy sight picture.

You can also just train yourself at home by aiming down your sights with both eyes open. Do your dry fire drills (with a centerfire pistol) while making sure to keep both of your eyes open. If you notice yourself squinting, punch yourself in the eye and try again :D

dangerranger
12-29-2010, 2:37 PM
Try covering one side of your safety glasses with electrical tape and keep both eyes open. This might not work for you if both of your eyes are bad and you can't focus on the front sight. I've tried this method and it actually doesn't work for me because if I cover my left eye and use my right (dominant) eye, I get a fuzzy sight picture.

You can also just train yourself at home by aiming down your sights with both eyes open. Do your dry fire drills (with a centerfire pistol) while making sure to keep both of your eyes open. If you notice yourself squinting, punch yourself in the eye and try again :D

Instead of electrical tape I use a semi clear tape. it still lets light throu without being able to see foreward. I use a medical tape that does not leave a black residew on the lenses either. DR

yelohamr
12-29-2010, 4:21 PM
Use the Rooster Cogburn method, wear an eyepatch.

pennys dad
12-29-2010, 4:24 PM
^^^^^^^
Agreed with above. Depends on what you wear saftey glasses or regular glasses. For my regular glasses I get a piece of thin cardboard or fold some paper over the weak eye.

IntoForever
12-29-2010, 4:58 PM
I shoot 'till my wallet is sore.