PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Rant

10rounds
12-27-2010, 12:05 PM
I thought that it was legal for an individual to ship a firearm back to the manufacturer by Fedex. Well Fedex refused to ship a gun back today to Springfield because I was not a dealer.

When I was dealing with the counter clerk, he was giving me some BS that it was against the federal law & that's why they couldn't do it. When I spoke to the manager, he said that it was Fedex's policies not to ship it.

Anyway, I'm having a dealer send it back to Springfield for me.

ke6guj
12-27-2010, 12:07 PM
it is legal, per CA and federal law for you to ship a firearm directly to an FFL, and to have it returned directly back to you, with no FFL needed on your side.

You ran into unknowledgable people at fedex.

paul0660
12-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Those guys don't know their own regs:

FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:

1. Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).

http://www.fedex.com/us/terms/express-ground/

I would throw a phone call at a supervisor by way of 1.800.463.3339. I have had good luck with issues that way. Stay in rant mode.

sportingclays2010
12-27-2010, 2:07 PM
I just shipped a PPK back to Smith & Wesson for recall work and their instructions were to call FedEX for a home pickup. They specifically said not to take the firearm to a FedEX store. I followed their instructions and the process was completed without any problems. I believe that is where you made your error.

paul0660
12-27-2010, 2:10 PM
Regardless of your personal experience, 2010, that is not the only way to get Fedex to ship a handgun.The employees the OP spoke to did not know either the law nor their own regs.

10rounds
12-27-2010, 2:41 PM
I called the 1-800-463-3339 for Fedex & asked to speak to a manager. The person I talked to said that is was legal for me (following their shipping instructions) to have Fedex to ship the firearm back to the manufacturer.

The employees including the manager at the Fedex center didn't know their own policies regarding shipping firearms. Hopefully, she will educate the bozos at their center.

I have used this center in the past to ship stuff back to S&W & Glock without any problems. Thanks for the comments.

dfletcher
12-27-2010, 2:48 PM
I thought that it was legal for an individual to ship a firearm back to the manufacturer by Fedex. Well Fedex refused to ship a gun back today to Springfield because I was not a dealer.

When I was dealing with the counter clerk, he was giving me some BS that it was against the federal law & that's why they couldn't do it. When I spoke to the manager, he said that it was Fedex's policies not to ship it.

Anyway, I'm having a dealer send it back to Springfield for me.

FedEx has always been hit or miss for me. There's one a few blocks from work on Market & 2nd - they ship firearms and it's kind of neat walking a few blocks down main st SF with the "long box" tucked under your arm.

I recently had to ship an Encore frame to T/C for repair and FedEx did the "we don't ship handguns" routine so remembering the "once a rifle" rule I told them it was a rifle - the box was about 12" X 5" and they questioned it, but did it anyway.

I find UPS much easier to deal with in general.

Colt
12-27-2010, 2:52 PM
I've used FEDEX several times to ship pistols to a smith. The only problem I have had is when I tried to tell the clerk quietly and she says, "A PISTOL!" IS IT LOADED?!?

There were only about 10 others in line plus a boat load of workers and God knows how many people outside who probably heard her. Makes me want to slap her...

Last time, I wrote a note and handed to the guy at the counter (I waited til the lady was busy). He just nodded, and said " John Harrison. Cool."

paul0660
12-27-2010, 3:45 PM
I find UPS much easier to deal with in general.

I agree, but only since the older fellow who used to run the counter retired. His impression was that guns could only go FFL to FFL and required copies of licenses. I would just wave my FFL03 and some other random piece o' paper at him and it was then ok. It was like going through Mexican customs.

Beelzy
12-27-2010, 4:00 PM
One has to take the firearm to the FedEX hub and not those shanty house shippers that are all over the place.

flatovercrest
12-27-2010, 5:18 PM
OP, you ran into some anti-gun people and then they made their own rules with you, because they are ....anti-gun.
Simple as that.
That is VERY bad.

Rugerdaddy
12-27-2010, 5:25 PM
I shipped a long gun to a gunsmith via UPS. I had to take it to the nearest regional hub (as Beelzy said above, West Sac for me) and the woman supervisor there knew exactly what to do and made it a breeze. One can NOT take it to a UPS/Mailbox store, or any other UPS counter. It has to go to the regional center.

10rounds
12-27-2010, 7:31 PM
I went to the Fedex center at this location:

FedEx World Service Center
2451 Palm Drive
Signal Hill

I think that problem was with the employees not knowing their company's policies. However, the manager should have known the policies (I mentioned that to the lady that I spoke to at the 800 number). IMO that manager needs additional training.

Hopefully, Fedex corporate will fix the problem that I had today at this center. Only time will tell. I should take with me a copy of the Fedex's policies regarding firearm shipments next time I send something out.