PDA

View Full Version : How is the SGVGC?

The SoCal Gunner
07-27-2006, 3:06 AM
I just built my first OLL and want to take it out to zero in the scope. I've never been to any outdoor ranges so I wanted to ask for some info before I head there.

For the SGVGC, what should I bring with me when using the rifle range. Do they have becnhes for bench rest shooting? how about mats for shooting in the prone position?

Any other advice or equipment a first time outdoor shooter should know about?

I really wish they would put up pics of the range so I could get a better feel for it.

Thanks guys

Sheldon
07-27-2006, 6:27 AM
It's a nice range. They have covered benches to shoot off of. They rent spotting scopes if you don't have one. The range goes out as far as 200 yards and as close as 15 yards. They don't provide shooting mats so bring your own. They don't allow steel jacketed ammo so check it with a magnet before taking it there as they will sometimes check. No rapid fire is allowed and they will yell at you over the p.a. system if you do it.

CWM4A1
07-27-2006, 1:55 PM
Rumor has it that City of Duarte is trying to shut them down. Anyone knows the latest development of that story?

EvolutionGSR
07-27-2006, 5:48 PM
Was there two days ago. They're still open. It's Azusa thats trying to shut them down. The people that moved into the houses above the mountain AFTER the fact the range was there are now complaining about the noise. They have nice benches with soft wood tabletops that are relatively newly painted. You can rent sandbags and spotting scopes but no mats for prone. Sandbags will be important for zeroing. You'll probably need about three for a OLL to clear the magazine and pistol grip. Or you can use one sandbag on some blocks of wood or an empty ammo can. Ok you get the picture.

69Mach1
07-27-2006, 6:32 PM
Great place to shoot. Only problem I have is that they don't allow shooting 50 BMG on the weekends because of the people living near by (who knew there was a range there before they moved into the area) who complain. Other than that, I hope they win their case, and get to stay. Oh, and there is a nice place to eat on the grounds.

The SoCal Gunner
07-27-2006, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I sure hope they don't get closed down.

anotherted
07-28-2006, 6:49 AM
Ive heard they're moving up hwy 39 right next to burro. this of course makes absolutely no sense to me but ive heard it from a few reliable sources.

Yeah, all of those who moved in next to SGVGC had to sign a document stating that they knew the range was there and that they would accept the noise as part of the living arrangement. Alot of good that did...

grammaton76
07-28-2006, 2:48 PM
Heh. The better question is, what kind of moron moves next to a shooting range if he's not into shooting? I mean c'mon, there's gotta be hundreds of gun owners who'd love to have a range within walking distance!

ace21
07-28-2006, 5:27 PM
actually the Rock Quarry right next to the range is 10 times louder than the range itself. Why don't they get rid of the Rock Quarry?

anotherted
07-29-2006, 7:01 AM
Technically, the rock quarry is getting rid of the range. Vulcan Materials (on whose land SGVGC is sitting) will not renew the lease for SGVGC.

tankerman
07-29-2006, 9:31 AM
I don't think it's moving next to Burro canyon. I heard they will be merging with Burro canyon. It's nice to want a shooting range within walking distance, then theres reality. Not many people want a range next to their house. It happens all over the place. Look at the morons that moved next to Riverside raceway then complained that it was loud. It's gone, noise doesn't usually win, unless it's next to a really poor area.

The SoCal Gunner
08-01-2006, 3:28 AM
What kind of targets are allowed at the range and are you able to bring your own?

Pryde
08-01-2006, 7:58 AM
Ive heard they're moving up hwy 39 right next to burro. this of course makes absolutely no sense to me but ive heard it from a few reliable sources.

Yeah, all of those who moved in next to SGVGC had to sign a document stating that they knew the range was there and that they would accept the noise as part of the living arrangement. Alot of good that did...

I'm a member at Burro Canyon.

I talked to the owner last week and here's the word straight from the horses mouth. The rumors of a merge are just that, rumors. He stated firmly that the Fish Canyon staff will not be involved with how Burro Canyon is run in anyway. I shoot at Burro Canyon because they don't appreciate the crappy attitudes and ammo box snooping at SGV, I understand that they have good reason for running things the way they do there but I don't like it personally so I take my business elsewhere. According to the Burro staff, most of the other members feel the same way. If they merged with SGV and ran it like how they do there, most of their members would leave.

Apparently how these rumors got started is that someone mentioned that after Fish Canyon closed, some of their members would start going to Burro, that became "they are merging". The range officer said to me that the SGV members are more than free to shoot at Burro but they will follow their rules not SGV's. The big empty hill next to Burro canyon is going to be their new 500 yard range which will open next year and will not be affiliated with SGV in any way.

anotherted
08-01-2006, 4:56 PM
Thats good news, Pryde.

I myself prefer Burro over SGVGC any day of the week, except tues and wed's. :o

BamBam-31
08-01-2006, 8:26 PM
I heard Azusa cut Vulcan a land deal, hence the non-renewal of SGVGC's lease. Nice. :mad:

I much prefer SGVGC to the loosey-goosey way Burro runs its range, but if there's nothing else available....well, there's always Angeles.

SGVGC cut its hours to 4pm (used to be 4:45pm) in an attempt to get an extension from Azusa, so get there earlier.

Looks like the writing is on the wall. It'll be a sad day, really....:(

The SoCal Gunner
08-02-2006, 12:50 AM
Its always a sad day to see gunshops or ranges close down because of complaints from residents forcing the city to make changes.

Before I even turned 21 (last year) I saw two gun shops dissapear and a range. Might not have been because of the city but its still sad and reduces my options of where to shop.