PDA

View Full Version : Thermometer for safe?

ramon
07-26-2006, 10:53 PM
I'm interested in knowing what is going on inside my heavy, well insulated gun safe. Has anyone found a remote type of themometer that will accurately tell the temp and humidity inside with the reading device on the outside?

maschronic
07-26-2006, 10:59 PM
I'm interested in knowing what is going on inside my heavy, well insulated gun safe. Has anyone found a remote type of themometer that will accurately tell the temp and humidity inside with the reading device on the outside?

ya know. i have a small digital thermometer i use for backpacking. i'll toss it in the safe. it keeps track of the highs and lows. good idea ramon. i'll keep you posted on my finds.

chris
07-27-2006, 2:37 AM
never thought of that good idea. i would like to know the temp in there too.

devjunk762
07-27-2006, 7:52 AM
I bought a digital wireless thermometer/ humidity sensor from Target (made by Oregon Scientific). It cost about $30, but is nice becase you don't need to open the safe to see how the "conditions" are. This same device also supports up to three remote sensors, so as you buy more safes for your collection all you need to do is buy another sensor.

Here's a link to their sensors and displays: http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/browse.asp?cid=2&scid=5

shonc99
07-27-2006, 10:15 AM
I bought a inside/ outside thermometer from walmart for my RV for something like $10. It has a thin three foot lead with a sensor on the end. That could go inside the safe from the electrical hole in the back (If it has one as most do.), or be slipped between the door and opening. I have a goldenrod heater (which I swear by) but the temperature inside isn't hot or even 'warm'. The rod keeps the temp up just enough to prevent condensation from forming. JM2$

Black_Talon
07-27-2006, 4:15 PM
I have a wireless remote thermometer + humidity meter that I bought from Ratshack. The remote sensor and the display "head" both run on AA batteries.

Knowing the humidity level in your safe is probably way more important than knowing the temp. I monitor it so that I know when to recharge my desiccant.

ramon
07-28-2006, 12:03 PM
Black Talon, I agree with you that humidity is the key thing to measure. I use a dessicant rather than a golden rod also. What % humidity do you look for before recharging the dessicant?

Black_Talon
07-28-2006, 4:23 PM
Black Talon, I agree with you that humidity is the key thing to measure. I use a dessicant rather than a golden rod also. What % humidity do you look for before recharging the dessicant?

Once it gets near 50% I recharge the desiccant. The research I did on gunsafe humidity said to keep it below 50%, and, IIRC, not less than around 25-30% at a minimum. Mine generally runs around 38-45% and I've never (knock wood!) had any trouble with rust.

EDIT:

Apparently, Ratshack no longer makes the exact model of sensor that I use, but this one (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102585&cp=&pg=1&y=6&origkw=wireless+sensor&kw=wireless+sensor&x=16&numProdsPerPage=20&parentPage=search) looks almost identical in function, but with different cosmetics.

ramon
08-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Black Talon, Thanks, looking for one at local r/s now.

maschronic
08-01-2006, 12:48 PM
i have been keeping track of the temp in my safe.

first, my safe is in my garage.

the temp doesn't vary that much. the coldest it got was 73 and the hottest it got was 80. i have been following this for about 5 days now.

i do agree that the temp doesn't really matter as much as the humidity. i have not checked that.

ramon
08-01-2006, 4:54 PM
Maschronic, If your safe was 80 what was the temp in the garage? Pretty much the same or much hotter. Its been 112 here recently and the garage gets damn hot!