PDA

View Full Version : Reloading 45acp and 38.

ap3572001
12-26-2010, 10:55 PM
I decided to reload again. I did before but sold everything when moved.

I will only reload 45 ACP and 38 spl.

I will need EVERYTHING. What is the best way to go ?

I don't mind to invest in good stuff since I will be using it for a long time ( I hope:)

shinbone
12-27-2010, 12:01 AM
I would ask this question in the Reloading subforum.

IMO for a singlestage, the RCBS Rockchucker Kit + calipers and dies would be a good way to go. For progressive, a Dillon 550B + scale, calipers and dies would be good.

GUNFREAK
12-27-2010, 3:41 AM
I just started reloading as well. I am only doing .45 to start off with eventually moving onto other calibers. I got the Lee breech lock single stage press kit for under $100. It comes with almost everything you need. I also bought a decent digital scale, tumbler and of course dies. Depending on which dies you get you may have to buy the shell plate holder. Lee dies come with it, RCBS does not.

B Strong
12-27-2010, 5:41 AM
I decided to reload again. I did before but sold everything when moved.

I don't mind to invest in good stuff since I will be using it for a long time ( I hope:)

I'd go with a Dillon 550 in .45 acp, with a conversion head in .38 Spl.

http://dillonprecision.com/default.cfm?

If you don't mind taking your time, good deals on used reloading gear hit CGN on a regular basis.

Oceanbob
12-27-2010, 6:16 AM
With all these ammo restrictions coming; maybe someday the wacko's will ban components or charge a high TAX on bullets...you never know with these CLOWNS.

I also used to reload back in the 80s and early 90s. I just stored my 2 press's in a Storage Unit along with a pile of components. Several weeks ago I made the decision you did; get back into reloading...! Got out the machines; ordered some stuff from DILLON and set up in my garage. I recommend getting a DILLON 550B in .45 with a spare toolhead in .38. ....what I like about the 550B is it can change calibers in about 2 minutes. (depending on the primer size). This is a repost from the ammo forum that I posted:

You probably need to decide three things:

1. Your budget.
2. How much you shoot
3. What's your time worth.?

If you're a professional making a decent living perhaps your time is worth getting a Progressive Machine. Something that pumps out 500 to 1200 rounds per hour. A good review (you probably already saw this)

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html

My choice for a machine that is Progressive (500 rounds per hour) and 'reasonable' in cost return (and investment resale value) would be a
Dillon 550B...easy to change calibers (15 minutes) and can be optioned up
to a great machine with conversion kits for under $1000.

RFP: (Recommended First Purchase)
$419.95 - Base Price
$61.95 - Dies - (Ordered separately)
$41.95 - Roller Handle, Aluminum
$46.95 - Strong Mount (fits 550 and 650)
$39.95 - Bullet Tray
$23.95 - Empty Case Bin and Bracket

(The four Machine Options above are in my Online Store as Brian's "As It Should BE" Upgrade, for $146.95.)
$628.85 RFP Total (with "BE Upgrade")

Additional options available:
$38.95 - Roller Handle, Plastic
$41.95 Low Powder Sensor

NCC: (Nice Caliber Conversion)
$43.95 - Caliber Conversion Kit
$61.95 - Dies
$96.95 - Deluxe Quick Change Kit (Includes Toolhead, Powder Measure, Powder Die, and Toolhead Stand.)
$202.85 - NCC Total

Approximate time to change calibers: 10 15 minutes at the outside, and down to about 60 seconds if both calibers involved in the conversion use the same Shellplate (as with a .45 ACP and .308 Win) and you bought a Deluxe Quick-Change Kit.

Have fun!

My two machines are the DILLON 1050..1200 rounds per hour in .45...and I had a NIB DILLON 550B that I bought in 1993 set up for .308..so I just bought a case feeder and 10MM/40 caliber conversion/dies from DILLON and she will do 600 rounds per hour if I'am motivated. I have both of them on a heavy table I built that's on heavy wheels.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2zrqqo1.jpg

Let us know what you decide..! Good luck.

Bill Steele
12-27-2010, 6:30 AM
Definitely make the ammo and reloading subforum a regular place to go, you can get answers to just about any question you might have regarding reloading. I have an old single stage press and decided to restart reloading recently. I went on that forum and with the search function got answers to every single question.

I used to load only rifle. Now that I am doing handgun, I am already thinking about a Dillon 550B. For small batches (like 50 or less) the single stage press is fine. For batches of 200 at a time or more (what I want to do now), the Dillon is the way to go. More money up front, money well spent.

Tzvia
12-27-2010, 6:43 AM
Been reloading for about 15 years, and what I have concluded is that:

A: You will either save money, or shoot twice as much for the same money.
B: Provided that whatever tool purchased is not really junk, it will save time, frustration and/or money.

I own a XL650 (Dillon rules IMO) and an Redding Big Boss single stage (for bottlenecked rifle reloading). But as good as the Redding is, I am not crazy enough to reload pistol and .223 on it. Sorry, time is money, do you want to shoot or spend all your day off reloading? Get a progressive, either a 550 or 650 and don't look back. You will be able to reload more quickly with less hassle. I only recommend a single stage press for bottleneck rifle reloading. For straight walled pistol, get CARBIDE dies. Spend the extra- it will save time and money because you will not be going through bottles of lube and your media cleaning it off, and you don't have to stop after resizing to clean it, and isn't that the point of a progressive press? The Dillon dies work just fine. Get the powder checker, it beeps on a over/under charge.

Invest in a good scale. Either the traditional beam or digital, take your pick.

Invest in a tumbler; I use a Dillon. Oh, and save those plastic netting bags that some veggies like onions come in... Put your brass in the bags, then throw them in the tumbler. To seperate, just lift out the bag and rotate it for a minute to remove the media, done! Also invest in a lead rated mask from Home Depot, and wear it around the tumbler!

You may find trimming cases a hassle, heck who doesn't. But getting an even crimp relies on the cases being the same length; an initial trim to even up the batch will make the crimp more uniform and setup of the dies in the press less of a hassle. So I got a Lyman with a power tool adapter, so it's motorized and trimming is rather quick. My crimps improved and are more even across the batch.

Pick up several good reloading data books-Lyman, Speer, Lee. Don't just download from the powder maker's website; the books have more detail, and don't forget the primer flipper.

Oh, and pick up an inertia bullet puller, just in case :rolleyes: Nobody wants to admit a mistake, but mistakes can be made. I would rather pull a bullet or 100, than risk my face.

I spent a rainy afternoon a few days ago reloading 400 rounds of 45acp, then 100 rounds of 45 Colt. I hate to think of what it would have cost to buy it retail.

zdragon
12-27-2010, 6:57 AM

)

did some serious production with just a basic single stage and a hand press(RCBS dies)....a cheap digital scale(frankford arsenal) will definitely speed up your reloading process.
i'm now set up to reload 9mm with Lee dies(did 200rds last night)....so much fun.;)
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f195/52dragon/P1050821.jpg

Coded-Dude
12-27-2010, 7:27 AM
I myself am looking at the Lee Classic Turret Press(set the dies and swap the turrets). For now I want to start reloading .45 and .38 but will eventually also be reloading .308.

Synergy
12-27-2010, 7:53 AM
Take a read here, compares 3 popular progressive presses
http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf

EWILKE
12-27-2010, 7:57 AM
You can never go wrong with a dillon press.

k1dude
12-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Take a read here, compares 3 popular progressive presses
http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf

There's a few articles out there like that. Articles that provide unbiased comparisons usually find the Hornady LNL AP (progressive) to be the winner. That's why I bought the Hornady.

Oceanbob
12-27-2010, 11:19 AM
There's a few articles out there like that. Articles that provide unbiased comparisons usually find the Hornady LNL AP (progressive) to be the winner. That's why I bought the Hornady.

Dillon has sold 800,000 press'es. Hornady has sold 38,000 press'es.

Dillon costs more; quality costs money. The comparison above is not unbiased and has flaws. The author does mention the Dillon NO BS warranty
but fails to address the many problems of the other brands. The author complains about powder bars that 'cost more' when saving time on a quick change. That point is moot because the quick change head kit comes with a powder bar....duh..

From a Review on the Hornady just last week: "

December 18, 2010 I like the press in general, and have worked to resolve rotation, ejection, primer malfunction, broken handle ,and worn thread problems with Hornady. I paid Hornady an additional $500 for them to send me a warranty replacement. Hornady now states they do not have any units in the factory and will not give me a ship date for the warranty replacement unit that I have paid upfront for. I have paid for 2 Hornady LNL AP presses and have one that partially works. After spending a life time on the phone, not having my phone calls returned,- I find Hornady's business ethics questionable,durability and quailty problems with their presses, and they do not back their warranty in a timely manner "

You never hear that sort of problem with DILLON. ..Never.

Call Dillon; they answer the phone before the second ring. Explain a problem on a 16 year old press; they will send you a replacement part..THAT DAY. no questions asked.

Here's a thread on Dillons no BS warranty:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=373531