PDA

View Full Version : Guns without serial numbers? Are they legal?

tenpercentfirearms
07-26-2006, 8:59 PM
Lets say a gun dealer were to find some old Mossberg and Marlin shotguns for sale and he went to buy them, but they didn't have serial numbers because they were made before the 1968 GCA that required serial numbers. Could such gun dealer buy such guns? If so, what would such gun dealer put in his/her bound book under "serial number"?

This is all hypothetical of course and any such hypothetical gun dealer would only ask such questions because it is 10 PM and no one at BATFE or CADOJ seems to be up working so late. :rolleyes:

No really DOJ agents, I know you stay up late reading calguns, just use your pseudonym handle and answer my question please. :D

m24armorer
07-26-2006, 9:41 PM
Pre 1968 firearms. The best way to keep records on these is to give them your own inventory number, unique to each one. Example " NSN 001" denotes no serial number, number 1. Tag the firearm with the number you have given it. Log it into your bound book as such.

When it is sold log it out by the number you have given it. Keep in mind it's a good idea have a unique number assigned for all pre 68' (not serialized) firearms in your inventory and bound book if you do not want to go nuts keeping track of them

JPglee1
07-26-2006, 9:47 PM
My homebuilt rifle, and a 20ga shotgun I have both lack serial numbers.

Both are legal, the homebuilt isn't required to have them and the 20GA is older than 1968.

JP

m24armorer
07-26-2006, 9:53 PM
On your HB rifle, you may want to have something on it. At the least a number to identify it.

Saves you a lot of explaning if it is lost or stolen.

JPglee1
07-26-2006, 9:57 PM
On your HB rifle, you may want to have something on it. At the least a number to identify it.

Saves you a lot of explaning if it is lost or stolen.

Yah I might want to, but Im not gonna...Ive posted it around the net so many times, its obvious its my rifle... Its real destinctive.

If it were an 80% AR lower, than for sure I would stamp it.

This one is going sans# because its a southern california resistence gun and it just seems like the "FU" thing to do :)

hahaha.

JP

socalguns
07-26-2006, 10:00 PM
Yes, such a gun dealer could buy such guns,
although he might need to get serial-numbers issued by the DOJ first.

update:
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12090.htm

JPglee1
07-26-2006, 10:05 PM
Yes, such a gun dealer could buy such guns,
although he might need to get serial-numbers issued by the DOJ first.

They don't do that... BATF if anybody would...

But they don't need them.

They would ID them by other markings and generic characteristics, or maybe hand stamp a simple # in the gun if required, but its not.

JP

m24armorer
07-26-2006, 10:08 PM
Serial numbers are NOT required on firearms pre 1968 GCA.

BigMac
07-27-2006, 7:48 AM
Just write in

NSN

Thats all you have to do.

Your welcome ;)

xenophobe
07-27-2006, 8:11 AM
Pre 1968 firearms. The best way to keep records on these is to give them your own inventory number, unique to each one. Example " NSN 001" denotes no serial number, number 1. Tag the firearm with the number you have given it. Log it into your bound book as such.

When it is sold log it out by the number you have given it. Keep in mind it's a good idea have a unique number assigned for all pre 68' (not serialized) firearms in your inventory and bound book if you do not want to go nuts keeping track of them

+1 what he said ^^^

DrjonesUSA
07-27-2006, 8:27 AM
If the 1968 GCA is what started the serial number requirement, why do pretty much ALL military weapons from as early as the very early 1900's have serial numbers?

Simply for inventory tracking?

Also; do many/most civilian weapons manufactured prior to 1968 have serial numbers? If so, why? Since they weren't required, why would they have them?

JPglee1
07-27-2006, 8:34 AM
A lot of companies did SNs for internal tracking, and to verify military orders were filled...

A lot of other companies only sold civilian stuff and didn't care to keep records.

Prior to the GCA it was a non-issue.

Ive seen TONS of guns w/out #s on them in my life.

JP

grammaton76
07-27-2006, 12:46 PM
Personally, I would steal a move from the Swiss and write a number on a card, then slip it into the buttstock or something. That insures you're going to be able to identify it, without damaging its authenticity (unless you're going to bubba it, in which case just electro-pencil or something).

rkt88edmo
07-27-2006, 1:19 PM
My old JC Higgins .22 is NSN :)

SemiAutoSam
07-27-2006, 1:25 PM
I plan to finish my 80% Titanium receiver one day and that will not have a serial # as its not required by law.

And by that time I will have my upper Titanium receiver done as well.

petey
07-27-2006, 3:07 PM
JB Custom used pre-68 receivers to build some of the baddest looking wild west guns ever made. Since the receivers were never used, he was able to get the BATFE to register them as pistols. Unfortunately, I don't think they will be submitted to the CA DOJ for the drop test.

http://www.jbcustom.com/new-mares.htm