PDA

View Full Version : wireless router connection - need help

RP1911
12-26-2010, 8:27 PM
My desktop PC has internet access, my second desktop PC has internet access both on land lines (cat 5e). I connected the D-Link wireless to internet, then to the cable/telephone modem (Comcast). From the wireless router to a 24-port switch that connects all the landlines.

I cannot connect my laptop to the wireless router. I did the install wizard, named the SSID, have a network key (password). The laptop ids the network but will not sync due to 'unable to find a certficate log me on the network'.

What gives?

BluNorthern
12-26-2010, 8:56 PM
In your wireless network connection menu go to change advanced settings in the left pane under related tasks. Go to wireless networks. Make sure 'Use windows to configure my wireless network settings is checked. Find your network under preferred networks and open it's properties. Go to the Authentication tab and make sure 'Enabel IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network' is unchecked. Then try to connect again.

RP1911
12-26-2010, 9:20 PM
Thanks BluNorthern. I got it to work before I saw your post. The install wizard had already asked me to do that. I ended up reinstalling the software and changed WAP to WEP and that did the trick.

JDay
12-26-2010, 11:55 PM
I strongly advise against using WEP, anyone with a laptop can crack it in around 30-60 seconds. You really should be using WPA2 and have it set to AES, NOT TKIP.

energizer
01-04-2011, 7:02 PM
Use WPA2 or at least WPA security with AES (not TKIP). TKIP is not very secure.