PDA

View Full Version : Have a .22 Dilemma - Need advice...

thunderbolt
12-26-2010, 8:27 PM
So I got a bit of Christmas money and need your help to spend it. I have an AR and a 7.62x39 as well as two non semi-auto .22 rifles along with other asst pistols/shotguns. The dilemma is this: I'd like to finish off my collection with a dedicated .22 upper for my AR but ALL my ammo stores are dangerously low and my wife is getting frustated with me and the cost of my shooting hobby. She says I don't go often enough to justify the expense. SO do I:

1. Buy the .22 upper to finish off my collection and get the centerfire ammo when I can afford it.

2. Get a reloading kit/supplies and start reloading the 4000+ 5.56 and 1000+ 45ACP casings I have.

3. Buy as much ammo as I can afford before Feb 1.

4. Another option.

The objective is to be able to go to the range more often while keeping the reletive cost as low as possible. Any advice?

Croweman08
12-26-2010, 8:30 PM
happy wife, happy life start reloading man......

pennys dad
12-26-2010, 10:06 PM
go with 22lr. How much are you looking to spend on the upper? U may be able to just buy an entire tacticool 22lr

shadow65
12-27-2010, 8:33 AM
.22 upper will pay for itself with the first couple boxes of ammo bought.

not-fishing
12-27-2010, 8:56 AM
Get a class 3 FFL, Curio & Relic then start reloading. You'll get a discount from some suppliers for the C & "R.

I looked at a Spikes upper that along with having to purchase a new non-notched-hammer-tuned-trigger group made the cost prohibitive.

Get a single stage Super Rock Chucker kit and a set of competition dies for your .223 and you'll have most everything.

I bought 2,000 55g 22 for $140 a year or so ago. My .223 reloads are more accurate and much cheaper than store bought. You do have to buy primers by the 5,000 to get the real discounts. I use mil-spec for my .223 and 30 cal.

For my 22's I use Wolf Match and at roughly $6.00 for 50 they aren't a lot cheaper than my .223 reloads.

packnrat
12-27-2010, 9:30 AM
wife is not happy = you will be not be happy.

get the wife happy first. do a weekend for her. go to vegas and a show.

just for her. do her thing with her, be happy. she will be happy. and you might even get "lucky".

then when you get back buy the upper and start reloading.

:43::chris::TFH:

send it_hit
12-27-2010, 10:54 AM
wife is not happy = you will be not be happy.

get the wife happy first. do a weekend for her. go to vegas and a show.

just for her.

^this. my vote is also, try reloading. Once you get into it.... Teach me. :D

PutTogether
12-28-2010, 3:15 AM
2. Get a reloading kit/supplies and start reloading the 4000+ 5.56 and 1000+ 45ACP casings I have.

This.

It sucks at first to spend the amount of money a decent gun would cost for everything you need to start. It is easy to doubt the purchase decision, because the cost of the supplies adds up quick. You'll need a press (get at least a turret press, not just a plain ol' single stage that only holds one die at a time), dies, calipers, scale, tumbler, etc etc etc.

Then there come the doubts of getting into something that seems so overwhelming and complex.

Push through it, because it is WAY easier than it sounds, and the rewards are immense.

Shooting your own ammo is fun. It also gives you a good feeling to shoot a great group with ammo you "made." It is an AWESOME feeling to know you'll never "run out" or have to worry about finding the calibers you shoot the most ever again. Sometimes even the loading of the ammo is fun in and of itself.

It seems overly expensive, complicated, and overwhelming at the beginning.....but it isn't.

pennys dad
12-28-2010, 6:12 AM
I agree with everyones "make the wife happy" so get (2) Marlin 795 22lr rifles and take her to an Appleseed, let them train her, she will out shoot you and that will make her happy. U get 2 new guns and a nice inexpensive round to fire.

thunderbolt
12-28-2010, 8:24 AM
I agree with everyones "make the wife happy" so get (2) Marlin 795 22lr rifles and take her to an Appleseed, let them train her, she will out shoot you and that will make her happy. U get 2 new guns and a nice inexpensive round to fire.

Hahahaha I wish. I've tried taking her out with me a couple of times but she is immune to the shooting bug. Although she seemed to like my U22 Neos a little, she just won't go with me anymore. It's fine I guess, I don't like to sew and she doesn't like to shoot. And for some reason making her happy (which I do often as I can) doesn't seem to soften her at all to the ballistic dicipline.

As far as reloading goes, I figure to load the first 1000 rnds of 5.56 will cost me about $600 in equipment and supplies. While the .22 upper I can pick up for around $350. I have my eye on the CMMG Sierra low profile. I really like the idea of reloading but like like PutTogether said it seems like a lot to bite off at first. Not that I couldn't figure it out but... Oh decisions!! Instant gratification vs. longterm payoff.