PDA

View Full Version : Buying a gun out of state while in 30 day jail period ????

Mastermason11
12-26-2010, 5:23 PM
Will it be considered as a PPT if I buy a gun from an individual from out of state (yes, gun is in the roster) shipped to an FFL?

The scenario is that I'm still in my 30 day jail period so buying a gun via FFL may not be done til 01/21/11.

Can I do this or it will have to wait after my 30 day ? Thanks in advance....

tbhracing
12-26-2010, 5:26 PM
Is this a joke?

vNaK
12-26-2010, 5:28 PM
Buying one from out of state is not a PPT. PPT applies where both parties are residents of the same state and is done in a face to face transaction.

Mssr. Eleganté
12-26-2010, 5:29 PM
Will it be considered as a PPT if I buy a gun from an individual from out of state (yes, gun is in the roster) shipped to an FFL?

The scenario is that I'm still in my 30 day jail period so buying a gun via FFL may not be done til 01/21/11.

Can I do this or it will have to wait after my 30 day ? Thanks in advance....

You will have to wait. Firearms shipped to your local FFL from out of state are not considered PPTs under California law. They are not eligible for the PPT exemption to the 1 in 30 day rule.

armygunsmith
12-26-2010, 5:31 PM
I assume OP has residency is the other state, otherwise the transaction should probably not occur.

Mastermason11
Is this a joke?

This is not a joke question.. I was seeking an answer since I don't know...

Cokebottle
Is this a joke?
What do you mean?

OP is confused as to the "1 every 30" status of a dealer purchase vs an FFL transfer from out of state.
He's not talking about driving to Nevada and buying a gun.

To the OP, FFL transfers are treated the same as a new gun.
Whether new or used, guns from "dealer stock" are covered. For a gun transferred in from out of state, it is logged into dealer stock from the time the UPS guy leaves until you initiate DROS.

1-in-30 applies to all sales except for PPT where both the buyer and seller are present at the FFL, and, depending on how the FFL logs it, consignment sales (which may be handled either as a "split PPT" or as dealer inventory).

Mastermason11
12-26-2010, 5:32 PM
You will have to wait. Firearms shipped to your local FFL from out of state are not considered PPTs under California law. They are not eligible for the PPT exemption to the 1 in 30 day rule.

Thanks guys... Then i guess, i have to wait...

Cokebottle
12-26-2010, 5:33 PM
I assume OP has residency is the other state, otherwise the transaction should probably not occur.
Read the post guys.....

Mastermason11
12-26-2010, 5:37 PM
Thanks for the wonderful explanation... Not sure why others sound sarcastic to some questions.. if i knew the answer, wouldn't have asked at all... Lol

What do you mean?

OP is confused as to the "1 every 30" status of a dealer purchase vs an FFL transfer from out of state.
He's not talking about driving to Nevada and buying a gun.

To the OP, FFL transfers are treated the same as a new gun.
Whether new or used, guns from "dealer stock" are covered. For a gun transferred in from out of state, it is logged into dealer stock from the time the UPS guy leaves until you initiate DROS.

1-in-30 applies to all sales except for PPT where both the buyer and seller are present at the FFL, and, depending on how the FFL logs it, consignment sales (which may be handled either as a "split PPT" or as dealer inventory).

Cokebottle
12-26-2010, 5:39 PM
Thanks for the wonderful explanation... Not sure why others sound sarcastic to some questions.. if i knew the answer, wouldn't have asked at all... Lol
I think they thought you were suggesting driving to another state to buy a gun from a private party.

Of course, if you have an 03FFL and a California DOJ COE, you are exempt from 1-30 ;)

Mssr. Eleganté
12-26-2010, 5:41 PM

One of the sarcastic posters has well known reading comprehension issues. :p

chiselchst
12-26-2010, 5:45 PM
What my FFL allows me to do, is to go ahead and pay for the gun and have it shipped to him. Then after the 30-wait, start the DROS. If there's something you must have/buy, this may be helpfull.

But CHECK with your FFL FIRST, before the gun is shipped.

Mastermason11
12-26-2010, 5:52 PM
What my FFL allows me to do, is to go ahead and pay for the gun and have it shipped to him. Then after the 30-wait, start the DROS. If there's something you must have/buy, this may be helpfull.

I was thinking about that but I can't.. I have paid for another gun already and is awaiting DROS on 1/21... Lol...

Ron-Solo
12-26-2010, 5:54 PM

Good suggestion.

chiselchst
12-26-2010, 6:26 PM
I was thinking about that but I can't.. I have paid for another gun already and is awaiting DROS on 1/21... Lol...

Ask them. I've had a "few guns" waiting for a DROS at my FFL. He lets me..

jtmkinsd
12-26-2010, 11:15 PM

Never hurts to ask :D I've got people with paper to do on as many as five guns...I keep telling them to get their 03 and COE...but they never do...I think they just like coming in every 30 days or so...lol

Cokebottle
12-27-2010, 6:04 PM
Never hurts to ask :D I've got people with paper to do on as many as five guns...I keep telling them to get their 03 and COE...but they never do...I think they just like coming in every 30 days or so...lol
Makes it easier to sneak a new one past the wife.

You can sneak out to "the range" with one gun and come home with two all the time and she won't think a thing of it if she didn't see you leave.

Come home with six, and the subsequent verification call from the BATFE might raise an eyebrow or two :D