PDA

View Full Version : My timeframe for writing my commentary letter to the DOJ.

tenpercentfirearms
07-26-2006, 12:26 PM
Here is my plan. I want to make sure I write a good letter for the commentary period. I don't want to forget anything. I am going to see if I can't get some input from some good sources (lawyers, industry, what not) and I will eventually try to post them here.

I think we need to definitely send these letters in, either registered or certified mail, no later than Wednesday August 9th, 2006. So that is my plan. I will send my letter August 9th.

Again, we have already gone over the importance of these letters. They should not be canned form letters. They should address how this rule change will affect you and your situation. So I would recommend you start your draft letters now and then wait for myself or others to create a thread next week sometime and make sure all the points you want to hit are addressed.

August 9th ladies and gentleman. That is when the real action is going to happen.

vonsmith
07-26-2006, 12:49 PM
tenpercentfirearms,
We're with ya.

=vonsmith=

6172crew
07-26-2006, 1:25 PM
Im working on mine also, hope to have a draft for you folks soon.

Id like to get a date when we can agree on posting them on Calguns, the more I think about it the more I think we should start posting asap.

Any thoughts?:cool:

Fjold
07-26-2006, 2:31 PM
Post them, I could use the help in organizing my thoughts.

donger
07-26-2006, 4:12 PM
How about we send them via email instead?

C.G.
07-26-2006, 4:41 PM
How about we send them via email instead?

It'll go in the junk mail folder.

383green
07-26-2006, 5:25 PM
I haven't been paying much attention to the OLL situation in the last few weeks, but if I can now contribute effort to the cause by writing a commentary letter (or two [or three <or ten>]), then I want to get back in the game.

Perhaps a sticky with an update of the current OLL/AW situation would be helpful, particularly for lamers like me who will need to do a bunch of digging to figure out what exactly we're commenting on... :o

Last I read, there's a combination of proposed DOJ dictionary modifications plus proposed legislation, the combined effects of which seem to be confusing a lot of folks (which is in itself part of the problem, as it's pretty hard to comply with a law if you can't understand it).

I would appreciate any help, either on-list or off-list, so that I can get back up to speed and then contribute in a positive way to the later discussion that 10% has suggested.

blacklisted
07-26-2006, 7:10 PM
I'll send mine in then as well.

sac7000
07-26-2006, 7:13 PM
Have pen in hand, stamp and envelope ready to embark on journey to center of Planet DOJ Commentary.

Thinking cap circuit indicator lights on.

T-minus xx days and counting....

tenpercentfirearms
07-26-2006, 7:52 PM
Ok, here is the time frame. We can start posting comments on Monday August 7th. That gives everyone two days to read, write, and mail by Wednesday the 9th. Plenty of time. Get your letters ready now and just sit on them.

6172crew
07-26-2006, 8:12 PM
I will go for that. PMs are on PM box has room and Ive been saving good stuff for the last month.

I think the goal is to change the direction the DOJ is heading with good arguments against the fixed magazine for AR/AKs only.

How is this going to effect gun owners trying to obey the law which is supposed to be easy for us to get and how this new measure is ther to clear the air (does it?)

The law has been the use of a "tool" for so many years how is this new notice going to effect GIs who are over seas and are CA residents?

Does this effect the SKS, MIA, Mini14, FAL, PTR? Why not? Why isnt the ruling from before any good and how is this going to keep us out of jail any more than the last ruling?

Time to hit the books on this one.:cool:

Skammy
07-27-2006, 12:09 AM
Putting this here as a reminder for me..

chris
07-27-2006, 2:18 AM
yep that is my concern for those overseas and cannot register any weapon they have due to their current situation. but the state and the DOJ really do not care about the troops overseas anyways.

calAWBsux
08-01-2006, 9:56 PM
Yep, count me in. I hope EVERYONE on this board writes a DAMN letter. Can't get easier than that. Time to put up or shut up...

I also talked to Sam Paredes out of the Gun Owners of California office and he stated that writing a letter would be better than showing up. He also stated that we should call our reps and to check out their website for updates regarding this issue. http://www.gunownersca.com/

If you guys need some direction, please call them up for some pointers at:
916-967-4970

chris
08-02-2006, 12:18 AM
there is an issue that may need to be brought up. if the DOJ opens up registration period. the issue at hand what about the thousands of residents who are in the military that are deployed and have absoulty no way in registering their firearms. this would be a very easy to accomodate those servicemembers with this. all that would be required is to have a copy realease from active duty(REFRAD) or copy of DD214. this would help residents in complying with the law.

since what is going to happen at the hearing is uncertain. i think this a very important topic to discuss.

is anyone here that is going to the hearing or i may write a short draft of a letter concerning it i could PM it too?

let me know. as for mailing it i don't think it would be good to do from here.

6172crew
08-02-2006, 8:33 AM
there is an issue that may need to be brought up. if the DOJ opens up registration period. the issue at hand what about the thousands of residents who are in the military that are deployed and have absoulty no way in registering their firearms. this would be a very easy to accomodate those servicemembers with this. all that would be required is to have a copy realease from active duty(REFRAD) or copy of DD214. this would help residents in complying with the law.

since what is going to happen at the hearing is uncertain. i think this a very important topic to discuss.

is anyone here that is going to the hearing or i may write a short draft of a letter concerning it i could PM it too?

let me know. as for mailing it i don't think it would be good to do from here.

Chris, my DD214 is dated 12/99, and about the only personal time I had for myself for the first year as a working stiff was to take a shower, the internet boom was flowing and I was made to work 10-14 hours a day (PUC says its ok to to that to PacBell employees) was to take a shower and get ready for the next day, there wasnt any concideration for .mil guys nor will there be this time around. Its just one less AW that they have to worry about.

The N/C should address the issue of tool vs. permanent which has nothing to do with a reg period, evil features, Rob arms, etc Sticking to the issue is hard to do b ut anything else during this N/C period is a waste of our time.

IF they do offer a reg periods then your concern will be brought up and delt with, what should be brought up as far as .mil and this N/C period is that how is PVT Shmuckatelli going to comply with the new rules when he has his rifle built using a Prince50 kit or a Mag Catch, or Semi-Auto Sam kit, etc and not be a felon. WHen the PVT left for the sandbox he was legal when he came back he was a bad guy who didnt know what he had done was illegal later.

Seeing how the tool wording, the list etc has already been to the courts and been the law of the land for 5-6 years why would they change the law and confuse the citizens when the old way hasd been working great....well not great but it worked.