PDA

View Full Version : GPS for around $100

dwa
12-26-2010, 2:43 PM
Whats a good driving GPS for around $100?

jonyg
12-26-2010, 2:53 PM
Lower end Tom Toms are low 100's

JDay
12-26-2010, 4:17 PM
No smartphone?

CSACANNONEER
12-26-2010, 4:34 PM
I picked up a NIB Garmin for $100 delivered from the classified here two years ago. I'm sure you can find the same type of deal within the next couple weeks.

dwa
12-26-2010, 6:10 PM
I picked up a NIB Garmin for $100 delivered from the classified here two years ago. I'm sure you can find the same type of deal within the next couple weeks.

I got a $100 target gift card and a GPS is the only thing I can think of that I want.

JDay
12-26-2010, 6:20 PM
I got a $100 target gift card and a GPS is the only thing I can think of that I want.

Redeem it for cash, it's quite easy to do.

1. Buy a bunch of items that are worth less than $10.

2. Return these items one at a time for another gift card and then cash those cards out (state law requires retailers to cash out cards that have less than $10 left on the balance).

3. Profit!

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/legal_guides/s-11.shtml

Q.4. Can the holder of a gift certificate or gift card redeem it for cash?

A. This depends on the policy of the seller. The gift certificate law states that a seller must either redeem a gift certificate or gift card sold after January 1, 1997, for its cash value, or replace it with a new certificate or card at no cost.15 However, California's Legislative Counsel has concluded that a seller is not required to redeem a gift certificate in cash when requested by a consumer.16 Thus, some gift certificate sellers redeem the gift certificate for cash or a combination of merchandise and cash, while some issue a new certificate for any balance remaining after the original certificate is redeemed. A gift certificate or gift card without an expiration date is valid until it is redeemed or replaced.17

Notwithstanding any policy of the seller, effective January 1, 2008, a gift certificate with a cash value of less than ten dollars ($10) is redeemable in cash (not a new certificate or merchandise) for its cash value.18 Cash for purposes of this section includes currency or check.19 Where a seller accepts funds toward a gift certificate from one or more contributors as a gift for another person (the "recipient"), the seller must give each contributor a full refund of the amount paid toward the certificate if the time in which the recipient may redeem the funds by purchasing a gift certificate is clearly disclosed in writing to contributors and recipient and the recipient does not redeem the funds by the time disclosed.20

You could also sell it for $80 - $90.

CSACANNONEER
12-26-2010, 6:23 PM

Target has groceries. Just by some food.

DaveFJ80
12-26-2010, 7:00 PM
the TomTom 130 is around $59 - $69, depending on where you find it and if it's on sale or not. My mom has been using this for the past 3 years now, updates it twice a year with software & maps, and no problems with it. Works pretty good too, very similar in looks and functionality to my old 08 Audi nav unit.

spectr17
12-26-2010, 8:25 PM
GPS are dinosaurs now, I use my EVO. Recent article showed how GPS sales are tanking now.

http://www.switched.com/2010/12/21/portable-gps-sales-slip-/

xXBigJoeXx
12-26-2010, 8:27 PM
Just got both my parents a Magellen 3045. Pretty slick check out...

Paltik.45acp
12-26-2010, 8:42 PM
I just bought a Garmin 265 W/WT from TigerDirect.com for $99 last Dec 24. Comes with text to speech, lifetime traffic, touchscreen and bluetooth. With shipping, it come out to $102.95.

sholling
12-26-2010, 8:54 PM
Smartphones are usable GPS but I prefer the larger screen of a real GPS plus all the extra features. Anyway you can't go wrong with Garmin they pretty much own the GPS market in the US and Target carries a wide selection. Just bear in mind that unless it has a T in the name that traffic isn't included and that map updates aren't free.

Here's a handy site (http://www.poi-factory.com/) to belong to once you get a Garmin or Tom Tom GPS and most of it is free.

Doheny
12-26-2010, 8:54 PM
Phones are nice for navigation, but if you're in the boonies out of range, you're SOL. That's when you'll wish you had a GPS.

Oshiat
12-26-2010, 9:38 PM
I had a Garmin Nuvi, it was an awesome unit. I stopped using it after loading Navigon on my iphone. The maps are loaded on the phone so a phone signal is not needed to navigate.

high_revs
12-26-2010, 11:34 PM
No smartphone?

i had a nokia nuron 5230. has ovi and it's free gps. i can't remember if i had to pay for new ovi maps though. but since the manual i downloaded said bluetooth and this one didn't on the box/specs, i returned it. i was pretty disappointed the lady at the counter treated it as a "open" box returned and taped all over it when I was taking good care of the box to not show it was repacked or something. :rolleyes:

i also have a lower end nuvi that should be at or below $100 these days. that one works fire for my usage if/when i need it.

JDay
12-27-2010, 12:47 AM
Smartphones are usable GPS but I prefer the larger screen of a real GPS plus all the extra features.

Wrong. For one thing phones these days have plenty large screens, and you should be watching the road when you're driving (integrated navigation systems do not even allow you to set a destination while the car is in drive). Google Navigation will give you audio, turn-by-turn directions to your destination. There really is no reason to have a dedicated GPS if you have a smart phone, well unless you're going out into the boonies that is. And there are great GPS apps for Android that you can pre-load map sets with for when you're out of a service area, MapDroyd is one of them.

Alaric
01-03-2011, 3:55 PM
The thing that really sucks about the integrated nav system in my 04 Jeep GC is the inability to update it without shelling out big time. Navsys wants $200 for an updated disc.

For that kind of money I could buy 2 newer GPS units that come with free updates. Makes no sense at all.

den888
01-03-2011, 5:34 PM
Make sure the GPS unit boots up quickly and finds the coordinates. My older TomTom XLS (from 2007) sometimes takes 6-7 minutes to do this step and it feels like an eternity when you need to be on the road and trying to make an appointment with a client.

orchard
01-05-2011, 7:39 PM
Garmin 255 will run on battery. I use mine in truck, battery allows it to be used out in boonies looking for wildlife. And in the boat.

orchard