PDA

View Full Version : Colt 1991 or a Springfield 1911?

ChopperX
12-26-2010, 11:06 AM
Hey guys. I am turning 21 in april so to celebrate I am going to be getting a 1911. I love the history, look, and feel of these guns and its probably my favorite handgun hands down. So I have a question about getting one from Colt themselves or Springfield.

I have heard from many places that the Colt 1991 is practically the same in terms of design as any other 1911. Question is that should I get Colts 1991? Is it a good shooter? I am also looking at getting a Springfield GI or mil-spec. I'm leaning more towards the mil-spec when i think of Springfield. I have heard great things about that gun as well. So what is your opinion on the two? I have actually shot a Springfield and it shot very well. But i was wondering about Colt since they are the original.

Thanks guys.

RedFord150
12-26-2010, 11:29 AM
When you buy Colt, you are paying a premium for the name. Unfortunately, Colt's quality has become 'hit and miss' over the years. The good news is that they are very fixable by a competent gunsmith and they hold their value.
Springfield Armory (SA) makes a quality 1911 at a good price. The GI and Mil-spec are the lower priced models. I doubt you will find a Colt anywhere near the price of these 2. If you are willing to pay the Colt Price, you might look at the SA 'Loaded' model.
Good luck.

fullrearview
12-26-2010, 11:34 AM
My next purchase is going to be a SA 1911 or the S&W1911pd. I really like both. Look around. There are a lot of good options out there!

MossbergMan
12-26-2010, 12:41 PM
You will get a better out of the box trigger with the 1911 Springfield. The Colt 1991 will have a Series 80 firing pin safety, not a bad thing, just more moving parts to fowl up a good trigger system. I own both and both are serviceable guns, but the Springfields just have nicer triggers and are easier to improve if you don't like what you get.

Colt is a "name brand" and you pay for that. Colt is the original if that's important to you, it isn't for me. Not until talk Peacemakers :-)

ChopperX
12-26-2010, 12:43 PM
Ok i see it now and I thank you all for your opinions. I shot the Springfield Loaded at the range and I loved it all around. I don't have that much money to spend but I have enough to get a good mil-spec. That's the gun I am now leaning towards. Thanks again guys.

barca101
12-26-2010, 12:47 PM
I have owned a 1911 for almost a year. I started out with a Kimber TLE. I sold that shortly after to fund a Nighthawk Custom GRP. I really like the 1911 platform. I believe it's much safer than a Glock, which I currently carry on/off duty, but the cock and lock appearance makes it look unsafe to most people who don't understand the 1911.

Not to deviate from your original post. I have been looking for a second 1911, something not in the semi custom price range, but under 1000.00. I've been researching the Colt and Springfield. Ive been perusing the forums to check which would be better. It would be nice to purchase the Colt, since it's the original maker of the 1911. I would have to pick the Springfield Mil-Spec. If you want a semi custom with the Springfield, I heard there custom shop is the greatest with what you want done and customer service is A1. In no means am I knowledgeable with the 1911, just a fan of the platform.

jigenax
12-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Awesome choice! I love 1911s and own both Springfields and Colts. For me, I slightly prefer the Springfield due to cost. I started with a plain jane and over the years added features I wanted. My oldest Springfield is over 20 years old and she's still my favorite. Regardless of which name you go with, you're gonna love building her up to your specs.

ChopperX
12-26-2010, 5:21 PM
Yea I wanna get the mil-spec since it has the upgraded 3 dot sight. I'm not gonna go for stainless just the parkarized. Save some money there. Thanks for the advice and knowledge I really appreciate it.

pyromensch
12-26-2010, 7:14 PM
have a colt, and a springfield, save the money and go springfield. very worthy firearm

den888
12-26-2010, 7:23 PM
I am a big Colt fan, so I would go with the Colt.

whipkiller
12-26-2010, 9:16 PM
I too am thinking about a SA Mil-Spec. What's the deal with everybody being out of stock on them?

JanG
12-26-2010, 10:07 PM
have you ever thought of the ria target match? i'm thinking of getting that next since the only colts in cali are series 80. anyway the ria is basic 1911 firing system but comes with adjustable rear and fiber optic front.

here's a review
http://www.m1911.org/ezine/RIAMatch.htm

SJgunguy24
12-27-2010, 2:07 AM
have you ever thought of the ria target match? i'm thinking of getting that next since the only colts in cali are series 80. anyway the ria is basic 1911 firing system but comes with adjustable rear and fiber optic front.

here's a review
http://www.m1911.org/ezine/RIAMatch.htm

I was gonna suggest the Rock Island Armory. You can get into a RIA for under 500 and have some money to do a little custom work if you like.

Sam
12-27-2010, 2:34 AM
You've got 4 months to save the extra couple hundred for a loaded. Why not?

B Strong
12-27-2010, 6:59 AM
Hey guys. I am turning 21 in april so to celebrate I am going to be getting a 1911. I love the history, look, and feel of these guns and its probably my favorite handgun hands down. So I have a question about getting one from Colt themselves or Springfield.

I have heard from many places that the Colt 1991 is practically the same in terms of design as any other 1911. Question is that should I get Colts 1991? Is it a good shooter? I am also looking at getting a Springfield GI or mil-spec. I'm leaning more towards the mil-spec when i think of Springfield. I have heard great things about that gun as well. So what is your opinion on the two? I have actually shot a Springfield and it shot very well. But i was wondering about Colt since they are the original.

Thanks guys.

It's really a choice between what you find available and what your budget is.

I own a whole selection of 1911's from box stock NIB pre-war Colts to custom pieces from different 'Smiths, and the truth is that other than some minor design differences between manufacturers, every entry level 1911 platform pistol is approximately the same in terms of usability and relaibility.

You can read every sort of opinion under the sun on the 'net about this or that 1911 type pistol out there, from drooling fandom to outright hate, and the only true method of sorting out truth from fiction is for you to get your hands on the example you're interested in and wring the thing out.

Beelzy
12-27-2010, 7:34 AM
Buy the Colt......The Kool-Aid tastes better for one, and the fit and finish on a Colt even on
a bad day is better than the others.

Plus if you tire of the gun, you'll get more of your dough back because of "The Name". :D

Rekrab
12-27-2010, 8:01 AM
I was gonna suggest the Rock Island Armory. You can get into a RIA for under 500 and have some money to do a little custom work if you like.

He didn't ask about it, but since others have brought it up I'd echo this point.

The RIA is not to be overlooked. You'll have money left over for custom work and plenty of ammo.

Fishslayer
12-27-2010, 10:57 AM

or get the RIA Tactical & be GTG for quite awhile. The upgrades are there already.

Having said that, if I come across an older model Colt 1911 at the right price having an example from the originator would be nice. Just not interested in the newer ones.

1911Luvr
12-27-2010, 11:05 AM
I have both Springfield and Colt, and despite the fact that I love the pony, I will tell you your money will go farther with the Springer. If you don't mind spending a lot more money for no real added benefit except pride of ownership, get the Colt and enjoy. For me the choice is easy- the Springfield Loaded out of the box is going to be a lot more gun for less money, with a great warranty. Period.

But, I will tell you to be careful- 1911s multiply! Sure you may start with one, but before you know it you'll be looking at two, three, etc. then asking yourself how it happened...

cannon
12-27-2010, 4:53 PM
Why not buy a used Colt?

You'll save money and get a great gun.

speeedracerr
12-27-2010, 5:17 PM
Colt

Wonderwhippet
12-27-2010, 5:31 PM
If it's not a Colt it's not a real 1911.

The series 70 models were the last of the real Colt 1911s.

Buy a used 70 series Colt and you will never regret it. You will also never lose any money when you or your great grandchildren sell it.

A 70 series Colt is a great investment and it will last forever.

ChopperX
12-27-2010, 7:16 PM
I took a look at the RIA 1911 and I think I am still going to head the mil-spec route. Its mainly because since its my first 1911, I wanna get one that look as close to the original with a few extras. I like how the mil-spec has the same type of sights but just slightly higher and with dots (for ease of sighting) and I know the chrome barrel is not like the original but i like it that way. I also like the standard short trigger as well and I don't care for a skeleton hammer and beaver-tail of some other 1911's. These are just my preferences. I am not going to spend more than $1000.

My second 1911 (if i get there) will be a slightly fancy one.

richie3888
12-27-2010, 7:36 PM
I took a look at the RIA 1911 and I think I am still going to head the mil-spec route. Its mainly because since its my first 1911, I wanna get one that look as close to the original with a few extras. I like how the mil-spec has the same type of sights but just slightly higher and with dots (for ease of sighting) and I know the chrome barrel is not like the original but i like it that way. I also like the standard short trigger as well and I don't care for a skeleton hammer and beaver-tail of some other 1911's. These are just my preferences. I am not going to spend more than $1000.

My second 1911 (if i get there) will be a slightly fancy one.

I'll get there

testosteroneOD
12-27-2010, 9:46 PM
I like my 1991. Then again I got it for a whole 299 bucks so whats not to like?

lepcur
12-28-2010, 6:34 PM
It's really a choice between what you find available and what your budget is.

I own a whole selection of 1911's from box stock NIB pre-war Colts to custom pieces from different 'Smiths, and the truth is that other than some minor design differences between manufacturers, every entry level 1911 platform pistol is approximately the same in terms of usability and relaibility.

You can read every sort of opinion under the sun on the 'net about this or that 1911 type pistol out there, from drooling fandom to outright hate, and the only true method of sorting out truth from fiction is for you to get your hands on the example you're interested in and wring the thing out.

Very well put.

razr
12-28-2010, 6:46 PM
Colt

nickvig
12-28-2010, 6:53 PM
A few have already said it, but Colt would be my choice. The resale is always better than SA although you pay a bit more up front.

I will disagree with the QC comment above. For the last ten years or so Colt has been on top of everything and there have been many fewer issues than in the late 80's through the 90's. Also, the Colt has a dimpled barrel, so you have a better feeding gun for JHP's out of the box than a SA, IMO.

kahai808
12-28-2010, 7:06 PM
SA would be my choice. Im gonna be with a Operator next.