PDA

View Full Version : springfield 1911

ArcLight
12-26-2010, 9:46 AM
Well i am looking for a good used Springfield 1911 and came across one on gunbroker. I need some help from those of you that know about 1911's. From looking at the pictures what can you tell me about this (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=207235490) gun. Is that type of barrel any good how does the gun look ect ect...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Synergy
12-26-2010, 10:06 AM
I would question the seller:

About the brand of the barrel?
Was the OEM barrel replaced due to wear?
Who fit it?
Why was it changed from the OEM?

To me it looks like a basket case 1911. I would spend a little more to get a new Springer.

Brand new for $100 more
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_24/products_id/43757

SpringfieldEMP
12-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Yea but for 100 less, you get an ugly barrel, idiot marks on the frame, and some strange beavertail. I would not let anyone I know buy that gun. Even if I didn't like them.

Heiko
12-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Not worth it! That "muzzle brake" barrel is hideous and frightening. You can find a nice used Loaded at that price that is unmolested.

msand951
12-26-2010, 11:13 AM
I dont know about the barrel id stay away. If it was stock then maybe . Synergy's post looks good. I have the same model your looking at but stock .
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc479/msand951/DSC02878.jpg

It shoots good but my 38 super colt shoots awesome It make me look good.
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc479/msand951/DSC02876.jpg

Temp Username
12-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Now that's a good-lookin' pair, I tell you what!

RedFord150
12-26-2010, 11:23 AM
I never understood why someone would buy used to save only a small percentage and the sales tax. This is especially true if the buyer is a novice and is not even clear on what to look for.
A quality gun will last a lifetime if properly cared for. Spend a few $ more and get something you know is good. If you happen to buy a new Ruger or Smith & Wesson or Springfield Armory or Glock or Dan Wesson or other quality brand and you are one of the unlucky few to have a problem, you will probably get your problem corrected for free by the maker.
Save the questionable used guns for the guys who are experienced, know the value, and know what to look for.
Just my .02...

MossbergMan
12-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Don't buy that gun! Not for that price....Regardless of why the barrel was replaced, it was probably not professionally done. Although there is nothing wrong with the "drop-in" Beaver Tail grip safety, it looks like hell. Point 2. The muzzle brake? Not. The .45 acp round does not generate enough gas pressure to make such a device functional. I have a Wilson Comp on a 5" when we thought it made a difference, then 38 Super showed us what a compensator should do. It appears to be more of a flash hider or what a tweaker might do to a barrel if they had access to a drill press. ICK! :taz:
The gun was aborted by someone that had an idea what they wanted but either didn't have the money or patience to do it right. Built by an unconsciously incompentent (they don't know they don't know).

Like the posts above...spend a few extra bucks buy brand new. If you are on a tight budget and want some "custom features" look at the Rock Island Tactical (under 600 most places) and you get stuff that would cost up to $1100 or more on other guns.

I love my Springfields! I own 6 1911's. Some are 9mm others are .45. I have 3 Colts and they are okay, but the Springers are well built and the customer service, when and if you need it, is super.

1911Luvr
12-26-2010, 1:15 PM
Save your money for a properly built 1911. A nearly new Springfield Loaded can be had for about that money (I helped a friend get a nearly new one for $600 a couple weeks ago). A newer gun will have a properly fit beavertail, better sights, normal barrel (that one looks suspicious), and a warranty from Springfield!

msand951
12-26-2010, 2:16 PM
My brother in law really wanted a 1911 after shooting mine. He just fell in love with them or something. He was tight on a budget and found one like this one brand new at our local sporting goods store. For 500.plus fees

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=9727563.0

SNEAKS
12-26-2010, 2:17 PM
Not a good buy, save your money. That think has definitely not ever seen a quality gunsmith with those mods. No gunsmith would ever let a firearm leave their shop looking like that.

1911Operator
12-26-2010, 2:22 PM
theres some oddball stuff on that gun ive never seen before like that grip that has a grove at the bottom, the sights and especially the barrel. also, i know springfield has their frames made in brazil, but why is it stamped on the frame? ive never seen that before either. I like the beaver tail tho. I honestly would consider buying it at the starting bid price, but wouldnt go much higher then that.

Chief-7700
12-26-2010, 2:30 PM
Walk away from that train wreck.